Please make a logic test

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The title explains itself. In the past few days I have seen abundance amounts of users with just horrible logic. It has gotten to the point where they have trolled my online experience at GBAtemp and I have compulsions to correct these users with an angered passion. A common trait I have seen in these posters, with probability near .8, are of age 13-16. Just so we are all on track, this is logic:

"A common trait I have seen in these illogical posters, with probability near .8, are of age 13-16"

I can bet, with probability of near .9, someone who is between the age 13-16 will read that statement and say, "I am pretty smart, I absolutely know logic, you can't generalize all 13-16 year olds." Here is why you fail, you don't know logic. If you are between the ages 13-16 and take offense of that above statement, you are affirming the consequent (I guess we can use some logical equivalences to turn it into negation of the antecedent but meh). I said a modus ponens statement with, if you are an illogical poster, then with probability near .8 are of the age 13-16. I didn't make any inferences on people between ages 13-16, I made an inference on illogical posters. That's why affirming the consequent is bad logic.

That's why, when I make a suggestion, I'm not going to direct it at people of ages 13-16, I'm going to direct it at illogical posters. Hence, the title explains it all, we need to have a logic test before people can't start posting. I'm am going to blow a headgasket if more no logic posters happen to appear on these forums.

Make it a simple test for all I care, make it so that you need at least .5 of the problems right, because, natural selection is not doing it's job.

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
You seem like a nice enough person to me (like you said, subjective reality IS subjective), although I somewhat disagree with the attitude you used at the beginning of this thread, where you basically hung the posters out for not understanding your sentence.

And I actually do agree with you on having some sort of logical test for registering on forums. Granted, not on this forum! GBAtemp is already pretty enormous, and it deals with topics for all ages (some topics dealing with adult-only content, even). It would take massive reforms to make the forum "logical people only".

If any sort of change should be done to the registration, it should be the current anti-bot test. People with normal eyesight can obviously see which colors are missing, pick them out by ticking the boxes, and click proceed. But when I showed this to two of my friends who are color blind, they couldn't complete the test and called it "bollocks". Obviously this might be extreme, but we shouldn't be excluding color blind people (equal cyber-rights).

To best have an anti-bot/illogic test like you described, it should be something that cannot be googled easily, that deals with "interactive" logic. Something mathematical would probably be good... Perhaps something like solving quadratic equations? Or pointing out the gradient in a quadratic equation? Granted, you could solve them using a service like Wolfram Alpha, but who would go through the trouble of typing that? Also, googling these types of questions rarely yields good answers (believe me, as a high school student, I've tried
tongue.gif
)

The only problem with this is that we'd lose some of the funniest users we have here. Take Sop and Duskye for example. Oh, and this is not sucking up to them
wink.gif
If we'd favor a cold, logical community over a warm and kooky community, this place would be very different.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, the tone I took in this thread was more of a serious tone. In reality, I am never serious unless it's my job and even at my job I don't need to be too serious.

People who know me in real life would never be able to figure out that I posted this, just because I never show it (or have reason to show it, this stuff is usually just in my mind). On the forums, I feel a bit more brave.

I understand that it is a bit unfair to give logic tests and the the perspective I was coming from is from a student who has had introductory logic, formal logic (with quantifiers), and meta-logic.

Maybe I was acting on impulse creating this thread considering I neglected to consider how everybody else felt about it.

My goal was to create this thread and obviously lure someone into a logic trap. This would show my point. I didn't mistake, people did fall into the logic trap and, depending on if you notice or not, shown my point. But what was unpredictable was how many people mistook the logic and how hard it was to show them how they were mistaken. Another point I failed to show is why logic was important in a discussion board. This stuff remains subjective and I am entirely biased when I see someone repeatedly make the same logical mistakes.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ace Faith said:
To best have an anti-bot/illogic test like you described, it should be something that cannot be googled easily, that deals with "interactive" logic. Something mathematical would probably be good... Perhaps something like solving quadratic equations? Or pointing out the gradient in a quadratic equation? Granted, you could solve them using a service like Wolfram Alpha, but who would go through the trouble of typing that? Also, googling these types of questions rarely yields good answers (believe me, as a high school student, I've tried
tongue.gif
)

The only problem with this is that we'd lose some of the funniest users we have here. Take Sop and Duskye for example. Oh, and this is not sucking up to them
wink.gif
If we'd favor a cold, logical community over a warm and kooky community, this place would be very different.
not everybody has a good education, some lack opportunities and some just aren't math people, a test like that would only really be suitable for an advanced math discussion board or something

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Terminator02 said:
Ace Faith said:
tongue.gif
)

wink.gif
not everybody has a good education, some lack opportunities and some just aren't math people, a test like that would only really be suitable for an advanced math discussion board or something
I don't mean any insult by this, but it wouldn't be an advanced maths board. Quadratic equations are relatively basic mathematics. Of course, there are plenty who couldn't do them, and I do not want to insult those people at all, but its simply not "advanced".

D

Deleted-236924

SifJar said:
Terminator02 said:
Ace Faith said:
tongue.gif
)

wink.gif
I don't mean any insult by this, but it wouldn't be an advanced maths board. Quadratic equations are relatively basic mathematics. Of course, there are plenty who couldn't do them, and I do not want to insult those people at all, but its simply not "advanced".
Seconded.
Those are the easiest things I've had to do this year.

leeday100196

GBAtemp's Official Infernape™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It'd be good to have a challenge around here, if the logic test is implemented to existing members just as a practice run through. I reckon people should pass a proper examination test to be admitted (such as said logic test), and then have the fun of the temp. That way they prove they are capable of joining. Even if they just filled out a survey on their info (like gaming knowledge, interests, hobbies etc.), then we could have like a "recommended topics" section for each user based on it. I do agree with the logic test though.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't even mind if they were questions like:

"All things that are black taste like charcoal" True or False

"Homebrew always equals piracy" True or False

"Sony sucks, therefore the Playstation Sucks" True or False

Then the bonus question:

"If 3 + 3 = 8 and 2 + 2 = 6, and 6 + 8 = 14, then (2 + 2) + (3 + 3) = 14"

[This statement is true]

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Ace Faith said:
If any sort of change should be done to the registration, it should be the current anti-bot test. People with normal eyesight can obviously see which colors are missing, pick them out by ticking the boxes, and click proceed. But when I showed this to two of my friends who are color blind, they couldn't complete the test and called it "bollocks". Obviously this might be extreme, but we shouldn't be excluding color blind people (equal cyber-rights).

bollocks.
The test clearly says "if you are color blind just refresh the page until a suitable image is found".
There are like 20 different images that include different colors.
So it's perfectly suited for everyone.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Costello said:
Ace Faith said:

bollocks.
The test clearly says "if you are color blind just refresh the page until a suitable image is found".
This is true. I'm colorblind (r/g), but after a couple of screen refreshes I got one I could pass.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn those primary colors, you were that close to being completely color blind =P

Costello, I doubt the test has driven anyone interest away. GBA temp has a range of discussions that draws pretty much everyone from a lot of particular fields. I grew up on Mario brothers, I would not let any test no matter how hard it is, to stop in my way of registering.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Costello said:
Ace Faith said:

bollocks.

I'm colour blind and I can see it. I know when it comes to being colour blind everyone is diffrent though when it comes to certain colours.

leeday100196

GBAtemp's Official Infernape™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What age group are we aiming at to invite to this forum? I can assume no-one under 10 (or at least, not many) would be interested in this site, so maybe we introduce a logic test that appeals to the grade, say, 7 and above (in Australian curriculum, whatever is roughly at or just below high school). That's when I started getting serious with gaming. And then we can show our maturity with that and some simple mathematics (say, 2x + 1 = 7, x = ?) (once again, that's what I learnt in grade 7. Don't jump on me for it.). Plus the previously mentioned survey, and we're onto something.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
21 year old poster on video game site enjoys a math class; thinks he has a reservation on all things 'logical'.

Stay tuned for this week's weather forecast.

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
It would seem I've made a fluke on the anti-bot test. Guess all three of us don't pass basic logic then xD

Regardless, my suggestion of quadratic equations was only to accomodate Zetta's suggestion into something that would be sensible to the internet citizens who want to register here. I understand that there are people who cannot answer those types of questions, and obviously they'd have to be accounted for. But I chose quadratics because they're at an beginners high school level (I'm in 10th grade, did this for like 3 months), and hopefully those users won't be as shallow or "derpy" as many that I have seen on here.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
21 year old poster on video game site enjoys a math class; thinks he has a reservation on all things 'logical'.

Stay tuned for this week's weather forecast.

Would you like some more sarcasm with your dinner; I would advise you to stop eating because you are full of crap.

"Stay tuned for 'GBAtemp's Advance(d?) Maniac' next serving of spam"

---

QUOTEWhat age group are we aiming at to invite to this forum? I can assume no-one under 10 (or at least, not many) would be interested in this site, so maybe we introduce a logic test that appeals to the grade, say, 7 and above (in Australian curriculum, whatever is roughly at or just below high school). That's when I started getting serious with gaming. And then we can show our maturity with that and some simple mathematics (say, 2x + 1 = 7, x = ?) (once again, that's what I learnt in grade 7. Don't jump on me for it.). Plus the previously mentioned survey, and we're onto something.

To be honest, I think there are some laws that prevent people under 13 to release personal information and that includes registering for a site (Something I heard a few years ago, don't quote me on that).

Other then that, I have seen some 21+ age people who wouldn't be able to comprehend what common sense even means.

---

Cheese is to Pizza

as

Cream Cheese is to ____
a. Monkey
b. ROMS
c. Playstation 3/ Sony
d. Bagel

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users