Hacking Discussion Please remember that some developers don't want to be associated with piracy

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I just bought my 8th copy of Minecraft. So with all do respect, fuck off with your anti-piracy speech please and thank you.
Just admit you didn't read anything that was said.

Reactions: Albytrozz

The14thfly

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
This thread is not about game sells, piracy itself hurting Nintendo or anything like that. It's about piracy getting connected to homebrew developers!

Since people already seem to not get this post - TL;DR Do your piracy but remember that it could always lead to others that did nothing wrong getting bad karma because they get associated with piracy!

The last 2 days have been one of the most hyped times for homebrew as I thought it would be amazing that we could finally mod our games but since people discovered a way to create a "backup-loader" in the loadiine-style and started spreading my ZIP to locations of the internet I'm not allowed to talk about, here is my standpoint on LayeredFS, SDFilesSwitch and hekate:

Hekate has been one of the best things that happened to this community since it gave immense boosts to time and creativity spend on homebrew and so am I also thankful that SDFilesSwitch has nearly become the standard SDFiles in this community but I'm not here to thank you all, I'm instead here to get angry at you all. LayeredFS needs a certain kernel-patch, a kernel patch that requires us to (currently) patch some official Nintendo code to make it work, this code is copyrighted and as such it's completely illegal to share that code. While most people probably shared that file with good intention, I'll have to remind everyone that this file is not allowed to be shared and as such would also fall under GBATemps general rules. While people would be really happy if I included that kernel patch in the zip I would never do that and since I won't, other people already did. I found immense numbers of modified versions of my SDFiles created for piracy and not for the original intention of allowing people access to the homebrew scene and all it's amazing projects. This is sadly not the only part. I have seen tons of SDFile builds that still feature all the talented contributors, developers and me under the credits list. That means that if some pirate starts their piracy-infested SDFiles build, I and others would be the first thing they would see what may sound like a good thing, I mean, we get some credits, right?

But it really isn't! - The names of the developers and mine will be remembered by those who started the piracy infested SDFiles and will throw bad light at us, people that just wanted to share homebrew and create open-source stuff.

My request here is that you, as a consumer, developer or creator should think about your sources and if you'd really want to go down the path and download these illegal kernel patches just to insert some backups into you game and if you do, I'd like to ask you if you're okay with people like nwert leaving because their product and name is getting connected to piracy.

The """backup-loader""" already caused immense damage to the community and features we would have gotten by nwert like emuNAND. Piracy is also the fault that the homebrew scene got this awful bias opinion from nearly all sites, even though we only try our best at creating stuff that thinks outside the limited box Nintendo gives us.

I'm probably speaking for a lot of us if I'm saying that we're not connected, responsible or justifiable for the content of those modifications.

and please don't spread your piracy boastfulness over all forums, you can enjoy piracy and backup loaders but please, just don't brag about it. ._.
Oh put a sock in it.

Reactions: Albytrozz

Tmsrise

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait

You think people actually read the credits?

And that is what this post is about?

Being miscredited?

In the credits that nobody actually reads?

Normal people sure as hell dont read em, but people in the scenes do, and potential employers if you want. Let's say you wanted to prove that you are capable of x skill, and your homebrew projects show this skill. Now, when that employer looks it up, they find out you are associated with piracy.

Albytrozz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Readme.

That's the file I don't bother to unzip or delete instantly without a second thought right?

No, it's the one where you cross check every HackerZ name with the poster of the 'Hackerz Hunkz' you have on your wall that you kiss before bed every night...

Albytrozz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Normal people sure as hell dont read em, but people in the scenes do, and potential employers if you want. Let's say you wanted to prove that you are capable of x skill, and your homebrew projects show this skill. Now, when that employer looks it up, they find out you are associated with piracy.

"Yeah that's me, sir, TurboScuzzTitLover83 and this is my portfolio. I helped hack another company's property then preached like Billy Graham on a console hacking forum about the Eviles of The Piracy Scurge. When do I start??"

Reactions: SaffronXL

PuNKeMoN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well if a dev don't want their shit to be used by others this way, don't make it open source. Common sense... Especially if you're trying to make a career out of it. Actions have consequences. Gotta deal with it.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Your main point on this thread is something many users can't understand by default.

The same happened with GitHub, and many of the Homebrew/OpenSource apps available there. Developers are not responsible for how the final user makes use of their apps. Period.

Reactions: Kioku and Albytrozz

Albytrozz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your main point on this thread is something many users can't understand by default.

The same happened with GitHub, and many of the Homebrew/OpenSource apps available there. Developers are not responsible for how the final user makes use of their apps. Period.

Like Microsoft isn't responsible for Windows XP running in North Korean nuclear stations...

Nevermore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just want to cheat in single-player games because I'm tired of ridiculous grinds when I don't have the time for it anymore.

Wolvenreign

Transhuman Satanist Furry Technocrat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's time for me to make another crack at this topic, but I'll probably write it somewhere else after my Kodi tut.

Not to elaborate on it too much here, but piracy is not the problem. Artificial scarcity for the sake of propping up the monetary system is. None of this would be a problem if the monetary system was abandoned long ago as it should have been.

Robots taking all the jobs, productivity rising while human labor decreases, but all anyone can talk about is how horrible it is to use technology to create abundance, such as in the case of so-called "piracy". Pathetic. Technocracy forever.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    linuxares @ linuxares: Nintendo be malding at that