Hacking Discussion Please remember that some developers don't want to be associated with piracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Barely onyone seems to understand what it means getting your name ruined. Do you still find it ok if someone tried to get a new job but got rejected because that name is connected to piracy tools? This is not unrealistic.
Well, best to not associate your real name with your online persona if you are concerned about that kind of thing.

D

Deleted User

I've been in the gaming scene since the 1980's. My first games for the TRS-80 were pirated. My C64 games were pirated. In fact, all my computer games pretty much have been pirated since the 1980's. Only was able to start pirating video games when the PSX came into play.

You know how many companies folded because there products were pirated? None of them. Pirating has been a part of society for a long time. It doesn't hurt sales unless the publishers do stupid tricks like limited releases, or not doing all formats.

Why doesn't pirating hurt sales? Because the number of pirates are very fucking small compared to the number of people who pay for content.
almost, depending on if the system is ridiculously easy to pirate on (switch isn't there yet for a good reason.) Then it can, example would be the psp. But that's it... And hacking that just required a usb cable, and basic know how on a computer. The switch is a 3 stage setup, and a non permanent setup, unless of course, your one of the dedicated ones who stuck below 5.0 and never update to said fw. People don't want to risk breaking the switch physically (unconfortable likely about sticking metal in places it likely shouldn't be). So that dieters the main reach of piracy on the syste,. But overall, yah you are correct... kind of just wanted to point that out though. But even then, with the hardware revision coming soon. (assuming switch reaches sales overall equivalent or near Sony's ps4) 18 million switches out of 80 million is a pretty small amount. (compared to the overall amount...)

kamesenin888

Trophies
XP
Country
This thread is not about game sells, piracy itself hurting Nintendo or anything like that. It's about piracy getting connected to homebrew developers!

Since people already seem to not get this post - TL;DR Do your piracy but remember that it could always lead to others that did nothing wrong getting bad karma because they get associated with piracy!

The last 2 days have been one of the most hyped times for homebrew as I thought it would be amazing that we could finally mod our games but since people discovered a way to create a "backup-loader" in the loadiine-style and started spreading my ZIP to locations of the internet I'm not allowed to talk about, here is my standpoint on LayeredFS, SDFilesSwitch and hekate:

Hekate has been one of the best things that happened to this community since it gave immense boosts to time and creativity spend on homebrew and so am I also thankful that SDFilesSwitch has nearly become the standard SDFiles in this community but I'm not here to thank you all, I'm instead here to get angry at you all. LayeredFS needs a certain kernel-patch, a kernel patch that requires us to (currently) patch some official Nintendo code to make it work, this code is copyrighted and as such it's completely illegal to share that code. While most people probably shared that file with good intention, I'll have to remind everyone that this file is not allowed to be shared and as such would also fall under GBATemps general rules. While people would be really happy if I included that kernel patch in the zip I would never do that and since I won't, other people already did. I found immense numbers of modified versions of my SDFiles created for piracy and not for the original intention of allowing people access to the homebrew scene and all it's amazing projects. This is sadly not the only part. I have seen tons of SDFile builds that still feature all the talented contributors, developers and me under the credits list. That means that if some pirate starts their piracy-infested SDFiles build, I and others would be the first thing they would see what may sound like a good thing, I mean, we get some credits, right?

But it really isn't! - The names of the developers and mine will be remembered by those who started the piracy infested SDFiles and will throw bad light at us, people that just wanted to share homebrew and create open-source stuff.

My request here is that you, as a consumer, developer or creator should think about your sources and if you'd really want to go down the path and download these illegal kernel patches just to insert some backups into you game and if you do, I'd like to ask you if you're okay with people like nwert leaving because their product and name is getting connected to piracy.

The """backup-loader""" already caused immense damage to the community and features we would have gotten by nwert like emuNAND. Piracy is also the fault that the homebrew scene got this awful bias opinion from nearly all sites, even though we only try our best at creating stuff that thinks outside the limited box Nintendo gives us.

I'm probably speaking for a lot of us if I'm saying that we're not connected, responsible or justifiable for the content of those modifications.

and please don't spread your piracy boastfulness over all forums, you can enjoy piracy and backup loaders but please, just don't brag about it. ._.
Dude you are clear on what you want, just get that particular name removed, the thing is that there are modified sd files that include what you shared in the homebrew section that includes your name, maybe you can show where to remove so if someone shares that particular file just replace that or a file modified with that particular modification to respect your name as a dev, maybe that could help more, I am ok of replacing a file just to liberate devs on bad karma

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, best to not associate your real name with your online persona if you are concerned about that kind of thing.
You are not wrong however people should consider this if devs choose to use their real name or if they want to show employers what they can do (showing work done under a pseudonym could possibly help them getting the job).

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
there are two things you are forgetting. Most people dont pirate anyway, unless its as easy as buying. the other is that piracy has been shown to help sales.

jramirex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think posting this blew it out of proportion. Would have been better to ask to get your name removed from the get go.

Now regarding piracy, pirates are not a lost sale for game developers. Used games are, fuck all of them commercial used game reselling companies. They rip off costumers and developers at the same fucking time.

Pirate doest buy a game: he wasn't going to buy anyways.

Legit costumer buys used game: developer gets $0, reseller gets all the profits after acquiring said used game for pennies on the dollar.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

GameSystem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People rarely look at credits, i always looked at it as sort of a gun maker type of deal.
The murderer is the person that uses the weapons and not the weapon maker.
Good comparison. I bet if we added an analogy to the very top of the first post in TL;DR and then added the rest of the OP's statement, this thread wouldn't have brought out the utter lack of reading comprehension in this community.

I have a terrible imagination, but I'll give it a go. How does this sound?

Tom made a gun for home self defense. The problem is that the bullets that work with it are from a big organization, and he is not allowed to sell them together.
A Gun dealer finds Tom's gun and thinks it's amazing. Gun dealer gets a bunch of Tom's guns to distribute, also gets the big organization's bullets, adds a poison tip to them, and then distributes them to the community.
There are now guns that shoot chemical weapon bullets roaming the streets, and then the gun dealer says, "Thanks Tom for this awesome weapon!"

Now everybody thinks Tom is the reason chemical weapon guns are roaming the street, even though he had nothing to do with it.

Reactions: tomGER

Red1Reaper

Asperger Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Good comparison. I bet if we added an analogy to the very top of the first post in TL;DR and then added the rest of the OP's statement, this thread wouldn't have brought out the utter lack of reading comprehension in this community.

Tom made a gun for home self defense. The problem is that the bullets that work with it are from a big organization, and he is not allowed to sell them together.
A Gun dealer finds Tom's gun and thinks it's amazing. Gun dealer gets a bunch of Tom's guns to distribute, also gets the big organization's bullets, adds a poison tip to them, and then distributes them to the community.
There are now guns that shoot chemical weapon bullets roaming the streets, and then the gun dealer says, "Thanks Tom for this awesome weapon!"

Now everybody thinks Tom is the reason chemical weapon guns are roaming the street, even though he had nothing to do with it.
That weapon dealer is a very "toxic" person

D

Deleted User

If Tom didn't make the weapon nobody would have ended up dead. Tom is very much a part of the chemical weapon result

Reactions: GameSystem

luan43

Trophies
XP
Country

No, chem bullet dudes would be a problem yes but neither Tom or them would be responsible.
The kid that loads the stone into the slingshot to kill the innocent bird would be the bad one.
No one still cares about Tom, but i dont blame Tom for feeling responsible for thinking that “he has become death, destroyer of worlds”.

Reactions: tomGER

Nincompoopdo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
“The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.

Me? I'm dishonest and you can always expect a dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly....stupid.”

Captain Jack Sparrow

Reactions: CallmeBerto

Tmsrise

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jesus christ, I'm a pirate myself, but people here are getting angry at a perfectly logical gripe that the developers have.
Yes, it should have been obvious that their work would eventually lead to piracy, and taken steps to mitigate whatever personal consequences that could have caused, but hindsight is 20/20, and these developers are allowed the right to be pissed off at what we do with their tools. We are mooching off their work.

Reactions: Lordmau5 and Kioku

kamesenin888

Trophies
XP
Country
Jesus christ, I'm a pirate myself, but people here are getting angry at a perfectly logical gripe that the developers have.
Yes, it should have been obvious that their work would eventually lead to piracy, and taken steps to mitigate whatever personal consequences that could have caused, but hindsight is 20/20, and these developers are allowed the right to be pissed off at what we do with their tools. We are mooching off their work.
He is not mad we used his work for piracy is that the in the result he doesnt want to be mentioned

Reactions: Kioku

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what i understand had the tutorial not been called hekate backup loader no one would have gotten pissed. Because to them it undercuts everything, the basis of the script is for so much more and this belittles it and reflects poorly on the person who codes it as that thread got a lot of new attention probably and can associate hekate and the Creator to backup launching. I think i get it, the tutorial should have been backup loader guide and mention tools needed and why. The backup launching cheapens it. Then you make this thread but it's just going to attract douche bags and their douchey responses.

So in short it has nothing to do with piracy because it already existed obviously and just to do with this screwy way of launching games over games.

I propose you call the guide the "official team xecuter sxos free addition" because why not

Reactions: wicksand420

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    13,600 MB/s though
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I got a 980 pro iirc
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soldigms been pretty solid
    yeh 980 pro
    good enough tbf
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/gMNhZNI never heard about them but reviews are good
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, Crucial SSDs work fine. I have one installed in my Xbox.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reviews seem positive.
    I believe I had some Patriot RAM running in a computer somewhere
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $250 is pretty solid considering
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With the refund it'll be about $150
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    6tb nvme pc ftw
    500 GB NVMe, 750 GB
    SATA SSD 1 TB HDD
    honestly I don't play pc games
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't game
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Once I buy this I'll be around 20tb worth of storage tho if we're talking all my drives
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All this crap I got and all I do is pick up the GabeDick to fiddle with his happy stick
    idk the total storage cap I have
    50 TB orso
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I don't play PC games often. Mostly its all 90s-00s games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hm doing research quite possible my issue with this drive is bios related not detecting it fully
    run crystaldisk?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't think it would do much if gnome live even sees it as 2mb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vmd issue possibly
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Vmd issue possibly