Pokemon Direct - Pokemon Sword and Shield Expansion Pass and Rescue Team DX announced

Welcome to the Pokemon Direct. Are you excited to see what Nintendo and Game Freak have in store for the future of Pokemon? Let's find out what's planned for announcement in this new Nintendo Direct.

The first announcement is a remake of the original Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games from the GBA and DS, now in 3D. It's called Rescue Team DX. It'll release on March 6, 2020, and will come with a demo available after the Direct.

An expansion pass has been revealed for Pokemon Sword and Shield. This will allow for new adventures, at a cost, in the latest Pokemon games. Instead of saving this content for an updated re-release, the expansion pass will feature the re-addition of many older Pokemon, new costumes, brand new Pokemon, areas, and Gigantamax forms. This content will be split into two pieces: The Isle of Armor, due June 2020, and The Crown Tundra, due Fall 2020. There will be new places within these content packs, and they'll have unique differences between the Sword and Shield versions of the expansion, which are sold separately.

The Isle of Armor focuses on growth, where you'll allowed to challenge a new Pokemon Dojo. Kubfu is a new Pokemon, with its evolution, Urshifu. It has two different styles; it's either fighting/dark or fighting/water. The final evolutions of the starters will get Gigantamax forms, too.

Meanwhile, The Crown Tundra is about exploration. Calyrex is a new legendary Pokemon. There's new Pokemon Dens and older legendaries you can catch underground. There's also new unrevealed battle challenges to take on. More wild areas will be added.

Over 200 older Pokemon will be added back to the game in these expansion updates. Those who don't wish to buy the expansion pass will still be able to get the newly announced Pokemon via link trades, in a free update that'll be coming.

Pokemon Home is launching next month, but no other news is scheduled for it right now.

Galarian Slowpoke and certain Gigantamax forms will be more common, such as Lapras, in an update later today.

Pokemon Sword and Shield's Expansion Pass will each cost $29.99 per game for the Isle of Armor and The Crown Tundra separately. You can pre-order them now.

If you own both games, you'll need to buy the Expansion Pass for both Sword and Shield seperately. Each game's DLC is $29.99, meaning if you play Sword, and buy its respective Expansion, it'll cost $29.99 to play the Isle of Armor and The Crown Tundra.

ombus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If Gf is charging half of a complete game for each dlc then i expect half the " content " thats in the main game.. wich isnt much now that i think about it.. still cash grab like no tomorrow.

Dunno why Miyamoto doesnt step in and say anything about the quality of the game.. man..so sad.

Reactions: chartube12

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
A solid offering and a step in the right direction after somewhat rushed base game, imo. I'm pleased that a lot of older pokemon will return and we'll get an opportunity to catch them without having to trade/transfer from older games, since that means less hurdles for newcomers to complete the dex. I see a lot of people whining (especially about "re-introduced pokemon being paid" despite them not being paid), but that's GBATemp being GBATemp :)

Last edited by Pipistrele,
Reactions: banjo2

TunaKetchup

The Goose is Loose
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Yeah, not gonna support a company who makes up bullshit "we had to cut Pokemon due to models and animations being hard to make for 800 Pokemon", and
then two months later decides to add them back in. What kind of lazy developers do they have working and why are people so quick to blindly defend them again?

I think we all saw your first post no need to keep repeating your feeling

Calm with the fake outrage

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Does this signify the end of the third version, or as the case is these days, the third and fourth version?
I for one certainly hope so. Expecting people to buy essentially the same game again for some minor changes to the story and maybe some postgame content is kind of bullshit. $30 is still a lot of money to pay for what is likely a small amount of extra content, but it's only half the price of a game. Or less.

I can't help but feel like they cut content from the games to release it as DLC later though. I might be completely wrong, but I can't help but feel that way when Sword/Shield are possibly the shortest Pokemon games released to date. They might not have purposely cut the games short, but with the lack of postgame content, not even a single secret area to explore, it kind of seems like they were purposely saving the postgame content for DLC.

Yeah, not gonna support a company who makes up bullshit "we had to cut Pokemon due to models and animations being hard to make for 800 Pokemon", and
then two months later decides to add them back in. What kind of lazy developers do they have working and why are people so quick to blindly defend them again?
They didn't make new models anyway, people have compared them and they are almost identical, just a few more polygons to make them smoother. And the animations certainly haven't improved.
Buuuuut they didn't actually say they were adding all the Pokemon back in. In fact, quite to the contrary, they said you would be able to transfer Pokemon into the games from Home only if they exist in the DLC (without having to own the actual DLC, of course)
Now that doesn't necessarily mean they won't add every Pokemon back in. But they certainly haven't said anything suggesting they would.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

CharlesHoy

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.co.uk
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Think the best games content was HG/SS, the Pichu, Giovanni and mystery gifts just kept on giving, I’m quite looking forward to the Sw/Sh DLC but I feel they’re going to be short and not offer the same excitement

OblivionReign

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
it’s a full 60 bucks. please download the demo first. the resolution from the direct made it seem like a lazy port. they may of added newer pokémon and forms, but not updating the resolution is a big no sale to me, especially at 60 bucks!
It was completely rebuilt from the ground up and made in unity

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was completely rebuilt from the ground up and made in unity

Didn’t read my fallowing post? And reread my post you quoted too. the game’s trailer looked poor quality compared to the actual demo. I have seen played the demo and i would agree it’s worth 45-50 max. i don’t like playing full price for remakes. Finally where did you see the engine? The demo doesn’t even have the unity logo. If it is unity, than i say it’s worth 5-10 dollars less. Unity is a fast and easy engine to work with. Just look at all the indie trash that’s made quickly with it. Not saying DX is trash. What i am saying is unity means potentially less work was done to create it.

Last edited by chartube12,

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something just popped into my head. What if the new birds are Lugia merger forms exclusive to one version and they’ll do another set merged with Ho-ho? They did merged pokémon before with the black/white re-releases.

DeoNaught

I'm here to steal memes and break dreams
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I see a lot of people whining (especially about "re-introduced pokemon being paid" despite them not being paid), but that's GBATemp being GBATemp :)
Haha here's the thing

you have to buy the Dlc to get access to the areas to catch the new pokemon... so while you don't have to buy the dlc to get the new pokemon via trading with someone else who has the pokemon(I;e bought the dlc), you cannot catch the pokemon without the paywall.

So while yes the pokemon are added to the game for free, to access them you have to pay for them.

Like giving you a free gun but the gun is in a gun safe, and the only way to get the gun out is by buying a key to unlock the safe.

atleast that's what I heard, kinda like the slowpoke you get for free, the only way to get it to evolve is by getting an item that is available in the dlc areas only.

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Haha here's the thing

you have to buy the Dlc to get access to the areas to catch the new pokemon... so while you don't have to buy the dlc to get the new pokemon via trading with someone else who has the pokemon(I;e bought the dlc), you cannot catch the pokemon without the paywall.

So while yes the pokemon are added to the game for free, to access them you have to pay for them.

Like giving you a free gun but the gun is in a gun safe, and the only way to get the gun out is by buying a key to unlock the safe.

atleast that's what I heard, kinda like the slowpoke you get for free, the only way to get it to evolve is by getting an item that is available in the dlc areas only.
That's how it worked in nearly every previous Pokemon game, though - you got a regional dex with some oldies and newbies, and then you could expand it by transfering/trading mons from other games. Only this time, newcomers can actually just buy the DLC and complete dex (mostly) solo without purchasing prev-gen pokemon games to forward-transfer their mons.

Last edited by Pipistrele,
Reactions: catlover007

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already paid for the DLC they give you a pikachu outfit. I mean guys this is nothing new most games have DLC on them.

I knew the game was rushed that's why I only paid $30 for it on offerup if you paid full price for the game no disrespect but that was just a poor buisness decision. Most pokemon games were in the 29.99-34.99 price range. I know it's a switch but you have to sit back and ask yourself is this game really worth $60. If the answer is no then just buy it used.

I had $10 in my Nintendo account so I basically paid $20 so all together $50 I mean it's just a buisness decision by Nintendo.

ehnoah

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
With the DLC Anouncment:

Sold my legal Copy, just to crack it + DLC fuck Online Play, not many play online anways. You get only smogg traded and GigaRaids no one doing xD

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Rescue Team DX...currently playing that, and I hate how they removed the A-button attack. In the original GBA/DS games (and the Explorer of games, and I believe also Gates to Infinity), the player could press A to do a simple attack that dealt less damage than regular moves, but was excellent for finishing opponents off after using a move since you'd still gain boosted EXP (for using a move against the foe at least once) and for saving PP.

Why'd they remove this?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    hunter x hunter
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    he has not allowed anyone to continue it for him for example
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, theres a dragon ball af mod for budokai 3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might download rayman revolution for my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right ram
    for it tho. Edit- no it uses floppy Ram, just like @AncientBoi
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aeiou
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And sometimes Z
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
    NinStar @ NinStar: people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious