Gaming Pokemon Emerald: trading with yourself

SaddQ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I am about to pick up my Johto starter after completing the Hoenn Pokedex.
Since I have two GBA's, can I copy the save game just before choosing my Pokemon (say, Chikorita) to another Emerald game, then pick up a different starter (say, Totodile) on the other GBA and then basically trade the Totodile with myself?

Has anyone ever tried this?
If possible I could easily get all three starters in one save game, without having to replay the game twice.

Reactions: Takokeshi

SaddQ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Probably would have to use a save editor to backup your save and then reinject the pokemon.
Why use a save editor? I can easily copy saves from one flashcart to another.

I'm just wondering if trading with the same trainer ID/name/hidden values is possible or if the game will glitch out. Haven't yet had the chance to try it out.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why use a save editor? I can easily copy saves from one flashcart to another.

I'm just wondering if trading with the same trainer ID/name/hidden values is possible or if the game will glitch out. Haven't yet had the chance to try it out.

Don't think so, you just need to make a copy of the point where you would receive the starter and repeat that if you want all three starters. Save editor was for if you only have one copy the game.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've never tested it with Emerald but it seemed to work fine with FIre Red between a real cart and my Omega, and the same save file on both. So I guess you'd be fine in Emerald, too.

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It feels like cheating, because it is :P it's up to you whether you consider it to be ok or not though.

I'd say go for it, and if you ever end up feeling like it's too cheaty you can always release them later.

SaddQ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It feels like cheating, because it is :P it's up to you whether you consider it to be ok or not though.

I'd say go for it, and if you ever end up feeling like it's too cheaty you can always release them later.
I will just go for one and trade the other two over from Colosseum or XD. Colosseum's a bitch to complete though. Catching and purifying shadow Pokemon is a pain.

Reactions: Takokeshi
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You could also just transfer the save on your pc and use an emu like NO$GBA to trade with yourself.
IIRC, that one allows for GBA multiplayer on pc. Guess just have to see if the save is compatible with the emu, or if you can change the formats freely without a problem.
Just make back-ups before trying stuff.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It feels a bit like cheating though, which I know sounds hypocritical to say for a flashcart user.
Just do it the legit way and make a new save file for each trade. Gives you more ID numbers for the daily lottery, and bonus experience from battles, so there are real benefits to it.

BeniBel

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It will work, but since the original trainer is the same for both files, the traded pokémon will be seen as your own pokémon, so they won't get an experience boost

saunaiguana

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
I am about to pick up my Johto starter after completing the Hoenn Pokedex.
Since I have two GBA's, can I copy the save game just before choosing my Pokemon (say, Chikorita) to another Emerald game, then pick up a different starter (say, Totodile) on the other GBA and then basically trade the Totodile with myself?

Has anyone ever tried this?
If possible I could easily get all three starters in one save game, without having to replay the game twice.
Shouldn't be an issue at all

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Yesterday I learned my BD Burner drive can burn CD's at 56X lol