Homebrew Discussion [POLL] FAT32 vs. exFAT | issue discussion

What do you use and did you face any issues?

• FAT32 - no issues yet

Votes: 151 21.4%
  • FAT32 - I had issues

Votes: 13 1.8%
  • exFAT - no issues yet

Votes: 412 58.5%
  • exFAT - I had issues

Votes: 128 18.2%

• Total voters

bundat

¿
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I use exFAT and had encountered an issue only once:
When I was starting out, my SX pro kept creating a corrupt license-request.dat file in the micro SD card.
It shows up in osx terminal, but not in Finder.
And attempting to open the file results in "file not found" errors.

Tried it several times, same problem everytime. Had to keep repairing the micro SD in Disk Utility to make it go away.

So I used a spare FAT32 micro SD, had it create a license-request there, and placed the license.dat file into my exFAT drive.
Never had problems since then, and swapping single XCI files, not split ones, is a dream, also considering my XCI library is larger than my SD card's capacity.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I used ChoiDujourNX to get 5.1.0 w/ the exfat update. After everything was successful I shut down the system and removed my SD card. Formatted to ExFat on Windows 10 (Quick Format) and moved the files to the SD Card. I checked the files and they all had the archive bit enabled. You can see some discussion around how Horizon has expectations for this here. Although in that thread they seem to imply adding the bit helps under specific circumstances.

In any case I thought I would share in case anyone looks here for a potential solution to move from Fat32 to ExFat successfully.
Mmmm this is indeed pretty interesting.
This opens up yet two more possibilities, and something that perhaps could help if the users could elaborate on it when making the issue report.
  1. Does making that change make exFat cards which previously had corruption issues make the SD more stable?
  2. How did the user perform the exFat format? Through the PC or the Switch?
Afaik as I know the Switch formats the card itself, and it handles all of the save and game data through that.
And since homebrew seems to be the only part of the SD card that the system doesnt directly touch, this could be the culprit without a doubt.

Reactions: Vinnymac

Bellebite2000

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
The community is currently divided into two camps when it comes to how to format the micro SD card for the switch.

While exFAT allows bigger files than 4 GB which comes in handy for "backup" users dealing with large XCI or NSP files, some people are saying it has issues with some homebrews and leads to corruption. It's an often read thing especially in the RetroArch thread.
However there are also people which were using exFAT since day one and never had any issues so far, even with RetroArch.
Also many of you said here that one should join the exFAT master race train.

I'd like to have people posting here their issues they had while using FAT32 and/or exFAT to get a better picture what's causing those issues and which would be the preferable one to stay with.

Two notes:
  1. Formatting a mSD card to exFAT using a Mac has been reported multiple times to lead to issues like data corruption or folders like the switch folder being invisible for the hbmenu.
  2. Tinfoil is about to receive a network installation update so installing NSP files bigger than 4 GB might be doable on FAT32 cards in the future. XCI files can be splitted since ages. ;)

With the amount of time you spent here asking for the impossible (Fat32 for 4 GB+ files... Lol... you can also ask for a flying boat...), what about getting a job, and buying a second SD card in case you believe in the "ExFAT will burn your house, just a matter of time" fake news circus? That would save us a lot of time, thanks.

Datmonkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there a way of moving all homebrew stuff, a.k.a. RetroNX and roms, to the Switch's internal system storage? This way, you could use exFAT for XCI on the microSD, and all the homebrew on internal storage (provided you don't have roms larger than 20-25 GB). Or would this risk corrupting the system storage?

Last edited by Datmonkey,

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've only had issues using ftp, nuked my installed games. Had to reinstall everything, no longer use ftp. Slow af anyway but was nice for small shit. Now i just use tegrasmashgui SD mount.

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
With the amount of time you spent here asking for the impossible (Fat32 for 4 GB+ files... Lol... you can also ask for a flying boat...), what about getting a job, and buying a second SD card in case you believe in the "ExFAT will burn your house, just a matter of time" fake news circus? That would save us a lot of time, thanks.
Whatever you're taking, you should reduce it buddy.

Reactions: sergio_prado

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Chalk me up to one with a Corrupted Exfat SD Card (64GB) :( Forced me to reformat and lost all my Roms and handful of Switch games, thank gawd Switch games are saved to Nand :P
I have been constantly transferring files to and from the SD Card or otherwise mistreating it though so that could have something to do with it ;)

This time around I'm still going to stick with Exfat but I'm going to install the Switch games I want to the Nand (space willing) and only transfer the Retroarch Roms I want to SD so if it all goes pear-shaped again I wont lose too much :) .... Then Switch to Fat32 :P

m4xw

Ancient Deity
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This thread is useless if we don't get Horizon version information and if this is preceded by a Crash :/

Reactions: Rune

m4xw

Ancient Deity
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That depends. :P
1 vote for "FAT32 - I had issues" against 16 votes for "exFAT - I had issues" is at least enough information for me to stay on FAT32.
Heh, well for me its useless ;)
Hard to pin down this Issue with only a handful of informations :/
This 16 vs 1 is no new news ^^

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That depends. :P
1 vote for "FAT32 - I had issues" against 16 votes for "exFAT - I had issues" is at least enough information for me to stay on FAT32.
That's not what he said, is it? He said its useless without more info such as the Horizon version. How's anyone supposed to get to the bottom of the issue if we just have people saying either "yeah, mines corrupted" and "no, mine's fine"?

EDIT
Or what m4xw said.

Hence why I asked at the top of the page if anyone on 5.1.0 can confirm getting these issues.

Last edited by Rune,

m4xw

Ancient Deity
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's not what he said, is it? He said its useless without more info such as the Horizon version. How's anyone supposed to get to the bottom of the issue if we just have people saying either "yeah, mines corrupted" and "no, mine's fine"?

EDIT
Or what m4xw said.

Hence why I asked at the top of the page if anyone on 5.1.0 can confirm getting these issues.
Its a indication at best. But I think he knows what I meant^^

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY2j_GPIqRA +1