[POLL] For you pirates, Torrents or Direct Downloads?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 27,566
  • Replies 43

Torrents or Direct Downloads

• Torrents (I pirate everything)

Votes: 20 15.7%
  • Torrents (I pirate Games)

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Torrents (I pirate stuff besides games)

Votes: 12 9.4%
  • Direct Downloads (I pirate everything)

Votes: 12 9.4%
  • Direct Downloads (I pirate Games)

Votes: 7 5.5%
  • Direct Downloads (I pirate stuff besides games)

Votes: 7 5.5%
  • I use both

Votes: 58 45.7%
  • I don't know and I don't care, just here to read some arguments.

Votes: 10 7.9%

• Total voters

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't know how it is in other countries, but in Germany downloading torrents is basically a guaranteed ticket to being sued

mgrev

Music Addict, Video Game Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Direct Downloads for roms for emulation and stuff (or 3ds games for that matter)
Torrents for everything else, because i have an unstable internet connection at times, and failed downloads aint fun. in fact, if i can torrent roms, i do that instead

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I'll add my two cents. I use both direct downloads and torrents (mostly for games, movies and TV), and my vote reflects as such. However, given the chance, I tend to prefer torrents. One of the only exceptions to this is when a file has gotten so rare, old or obscure that no one wastes bandwidth doing P2P with it (at that point it should really be archived somewhere for people to grab, even if only occasionally, though that's a bit out of the context of the thread). Then I start wishing for a direct download XD . It also really just comes down to availability and opportunity. If I can easily get a file I want on a direct download and it's right in front of my face, I will. However, if given the same file either in a torrent or a direct download, I tend to take the torrent.

erman1337

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I think torrenting is unsafe unless you're using a private trackers -- it's easy to track down what someone is torrenting if they're using public trackers.
Although torrents are usually WAY more reliable than direct links

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
torrent, och, nntp.

All over a specialized service provider, https://premiumize.me. For a monthly fee they offer download from different one click hosters, automatic torrent download and usenet accces, giving me full anonymity.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Depends on what I'm looking for. Most times I can't find more obscure music on torrent indexes (or even scene releases for that matter) so I tend to rely on weird Russian sites. For movies, TV shows, and software I definitely turn to torrents, though.

BlackZero500

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well ok. I pirate nearly everything as i dont like to buy blind. So i download a game, movie, Book, you Name it and See if I like it. Then there are 3 variants. I like it i buy it, i dont like it i delete it or i like it but its Not worth the money i keep it. That said i also like to keep pirated or dumped versions of games and movies because i loathe disc changing.

To the Source, i dont know about your countrys but in germany downloading is Not exactly illegal. Its the publishing and providing of pirated contend thats illegal. There are many cases where the court decided that you cant evidently say that the one that Downloads would buy if He didnt so you cant prove there was monetary damage. Thats why i dont like torrent and other peer to peer Programms. Even if you deactivate upload there is always a small upstream. An that Puts the string around your neck.

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I find torrents are preferable to direct downloads in virtually every way. However, for games the advent of MEGA has made it better than torrenting in many ways, as it's both fairly safe and reliable. I've never heard of anyone facing legal action for torrenting (or downloading in any way) games, and in Australia ISPs just give people warnings for torrenting before potentially taking legal action, but this happens very, very rarely, and only for specific recent well-known films or shows.

CrimsonSteel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Prefer direct downloading, if only because of the consistency. I guess popular media would be fine to torrent, but random files that only have a torrent option always seem to go slow.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
usenet is superior to torrents. max speed, no seeders required, retention in the 7-10 year range. how many torrents r still active after 7 years? ...but it costs money. try it out.

pokemoner2500

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For games (with some exceptions and 3DS games) I torrent, movies and TV shows I torrent, anything that I can torrent I try to, but if not then direct download. (music being the exception where I try to direct download)

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I used to love Torrents because I could get the entire series at once and watch it offline (without manually finding and downloading every single episode), but I recently got a very tersely worded email so direct downloads it is.

D

Deleted User

OP
Torrenting usually doesn't result in having to go to slow or ad-filled file hosting services, and takes proper advantage of my high-speed Internet connection. Unfortunately, they monitor P2P networks in the UK, but I don't torrent all that often, I'm not a heavy pirate.

I might be able to use a leecher for smaller downloads though, in case I really need to protect myself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Guess it's just a click then +1