Hacking [Poll] GW versus Pasta, what are you using now? Vote!

Gateway or Pasta, what are you using? Vote!

• GW, i like my .3ds, the ease of use and don't plan to switch

Votes: 113 44.3%
  • Pasta, I don't mind installing .cia and it's 100% free

Votes: 54 21.2%
  • GW currently but if they don't add new features soon I might change my mind..

Votes: 32 12.5%
  • Pasta currently for testing but in the end GW is the way to go..

Votes: 8 3.1%
  • Both! the best of both worlds!

Votes: 48 18.8%

• Total voters

spinner09

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pasta.

Hopefully, in the future, it'll become easier and easier to install and run. And hopefully soon, we'll be able to play CIAs straight off the SD without installing. If that's the case, then kiss Gateway goodbye (along with it's stupid price tag and software flaws). Good riddance.

Ronhero

Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
You're saying that all we need is a 9.x exploit and then the Gateway (as a card) will become unneeded aside from playing .3ds/z files? I know you can access the Gateway menu through CN, but you actually need the card in to start Gateway mode right?

Are we able to already run pasta through a CN .cia file on 9.0-9.2 systems? Or do you need the physical card every time?

Thats not what I said, I said once the 9.x mset is released you won't have to swap cards to get a bunch of features gateway is lacking in.

For example it would go system nand > mset to pasta > cn to boot gw mode > emunand.

This extra step would let you keep your gateway cars in the slot but still have access to the gw menu for emunamd as well as ninjahax and NTR. Also as I mentioned before if you use mismatched region games and make pasta region free nothing will show on system nand and there will be no unwrap bug

Reactions: Ericzander

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Both.

Gateway for 3DS games (cia files) and homebrews.
Pasta for GBA/DSIware games.

Gateway on my N3DS (9.x) and Pasta on my harmodded O3DS (4.x)

O3DS was not used anymore, except for testing purpose, so it give me a good reason to use it again ;)

Last edited by davhuit,

frenk99999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
I voted for both.

Right now, i am only using gateway, but if there are going to be features that i want and gateway will not have them, then i'll be switching between them.

(Even if it's going to be a pain the ass)

Rinnux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing keeping me from using pasta is the fact that it doesn't have emunand support. Also I have everything setup with my gateway and I'm too lazy to switch over.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right now, I use GW. I have it set up to a point I can understand on my Japanese 3DS and dont really feel like messing with anything else. I'll dump games I need to, and download stuff I dont have available.

enigma85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to use pasta but at this point GW is easier. I'd love to get rid of my flashcart. I don't have Cubic Ninja nor do i want to buy one cause thats just like buying a flashcart atm. I have OOT and a N3DS. As soon as they are supported I'd switch possibly. GW just is easier atm.

obs123194

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both I use my Cubic Ninja cart for Ninjhax and have a CIA of Cubic Ninja installed to my Sysnand for use with pasta so I can boot gateway mode if I want to, Why do this? because I have access to Gateway/HBL/and DS-DSiWare Games from my Sysnand.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Once pasta works without Cubic Ninja carts gateway is semi pointless to use/

once you have cubic ninja installed on your sysnand does that make the cubic ninja flashcart unnecessary?

xBleedingSoulx

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm using Gateway, it can do everything I need it to. Maybe when/if Pasta gets better features than Gateway I will try it, until then I'll stick with Gateway. Plus, Gateway have more motivation to keep making better features(money) where as Pasta doesn't, once/if they get bored of updating, it'll be useless.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
once you have cubic ninja installed on your sysnand does that make the cubic ninja flashcart unnecessary?
Pretty much but you can't launch it unless you're in pasta which you need a cubic ninja cart to launch it (for now until @nop90 comes up with a solution by using skater or spider)

pwnsweet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Both I use my Cubic Ninja cart for Ninjhax and have a CIA of Cubic Ninja installed to my Sysnand for use with pasta so I can boot gateway mode if I want to, Why do this? because I have access to Gateway/HBL/and DS-DSiWare Games from my Sysnand.

How did you install cubic ninja to your sysNAND?

pwnsweet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Using FBI installer I put the CIA onto my SD and installed it to my Sysnand.

I'm trying to understand the significance of installing CN to SysNAND. Prior to the N3DS mset downgrade was released, I wanted to install CN to sysnand so that I wouldn't have to keep switching between the CN cart and Gateway. But it was impossible because there was no legit cia of CN.

So what's the point to it now if you need the CN cart to launch Pasta to launch the CN cia from sysnand?

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to understand the significance of installing CN to SysNAND. Prior to the N3DS mset downgrade was released, I wanted to install CN to sysnand so that I wouldn't have to keep switching between the CN cart and Gateway. But it was impossible because there was no legit cia of CN.

So what's the point to it now if you need the CN cart to launch Pasta to launch the CN cia from sysnand?
I enjoy playing DSiWare and using my Blue card but doing so gets rid of the DS profile exploit, also I don't like scanning qr over and over to use either HBL/gateway when by doing this I can use both and keep using my Blue card while in sysnand.

Running pasta lets your run the cubic Ninja CIA from your sysnand.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I wanted to add custom banners to my sky3ds but it didn't take, like you said it was a template problem. There is a thread that walks you though decrypting cia files and how to recompile them. I also made sure to use the EUR cia files on my USA console with the region free cia update.

I am super tired right now and a little "hazy" and meant to say that decrypt9 is a .3dsx that boot from CN. So I have three copies of CN as a cia not four. I will release everything one day. I am really holding out for the mset on 9.x this way you can boot pasta from the system nand, use it for whatever you want then boot into GW mode through CN. I am currently working on an more efficient way to downgrade emunand

I'll look for that thread. While there's tons of tools for converting a .3ds file, tools for extracting and rebuilding CIAs aren't exactly in such plentiful supply apparently.

I tried creating CN CIAs that used the CN IDs for all 3 regions via a converter that lets you edit the .rsf file. Unfortunately, none of the created .cias worked (even the unchanged ones). So, I went with "3DS Simple CIA Converter" and created RF CIAs of both the US and EUR versions of CN. Two is enough for now. One for NTR so I don't have to circle back around to my Ninjhax save using the blue button, and one for GW so I don't have to get out the DS cart to restore the NVRAM exploit after playing DSiWare (or pull the CN with the GW save out of reserve). I may try to modify them later.

I get what you're saying. Pasta on MSET would reduce the need to insert the Sky3DS as often (as opposed to leaving GW on MSET). We're still going to lose either when playing DSiWare though. Actually, considering DSiWare is my most frequent use for CFW, maybe booting Pasta from the Sky is the optimal setup for me. But it never hurts to have options.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Fun fact - if you seen someone outside your house, looking inside your window, your not being... +1