• I wait a little bit

Votes: 42 24.3%

• Total voters

yeshuachrist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DualSense controller is widely considered to be the best thing about the PS5. It's a joy to use and elevates gaming to a new level that isn't just better graphics or performance. After seeing the success, Microsoft are supposedly working on a similar improvement now.

It sounds good on paper, nothing more. It started with the "trophies", making that a big deal (trolling from "fortnite and steam" (pc gaming services), and next the step, making the "controller" a much bigger deal...................the games are not that "immersive", versus the ps2 and ps3................the dedication to live services (following the DLC trend of pay for price for half a game, since DLC is included on it) and "feature rich depravity" (social media bomb).....................it really started with the PS3, but, also with the PS4 and more clearly with the PS5..................the market is not paying most of their dollar to actually play and enjoy a video game, all of the "bells and whistles", really show the age of bad policies and predatory behavior, flushed down, with the focus not to produce a sound product for an audience, but to help pass development costs in an unclean way.

It's sold as a gaming console so it's not really relevant but I'd be interested to know what percentage of Xbox owners actually use dev mode. Personally, I'd rather do emulation on a PC or handheld.

The Playstation 5 is very close to the purchased of a used automobile (anywhere from 400 to 1000 dollars), if you use a public auction or by an run down vehicle from a friend....................(if the ps5 receives a GPS ping, then it should be able to reply to it.................this is a silent alert to authorities................going beyond a password system), which were both failed by the current home console makers.

This one doesn't make sense. You can't blame the console's security for scummy Amazon delivery drivers.

This is a weird issue, you want every single PS2, PS3 and PS4 game available for free if you buy a PS5? That was never going to happen, so the ability to pay to have access to older games is a nice option for those that want it. That's why Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo all do it, to varying degrees of success.

(the value of theft from a purchased home console, exceeds the legal value of a felony or greater, that is an imprisonable offense)

Backwards Compatible Games....................when they are remade for the current generation systems, cost as much as it will cost to make a new game...................and that is sold for full price...............you end up with very poor choice and quality....................lots of recycling game content from major development houses, to not only compete with this issue..............but to also compete with "indie developers", "dlc content", "and live services, that offer nothing much over what you can get from a standard internet service and provider".

The issue of a monthly payment or year payment, versus, hour usage rate, or hours for sale for specific usage of the live services is a major issue (via game servers provided via the console). Just not at the moment from an uneducated audience, but things will perhaps change soon. The home console, has much less of an identity, with more intelligent devices available, "smart devices", "single board computers", and "streaming services". (the home console balloon will have to fail like the cellular market failed, and bottomed out with much lower prices, and much less companies in that pool).

(Backwards Compatible Games, DLC Content, and indie games, should be made free just from purchasing a console, there should be no market value or money in it, its a trend of predatory behavior from decades old consumer policies, that are very stale from the home console market) (or offered free, in quantity for each additional purchase of a game)

Last edited by yeshuachrist,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
all of the "bells and whistles", really show the age of bad policies and predatory behavior, flushed down, with the focus not to produce a sound product for an audience, but to help pass development costs in an unclean way.
The heck are you talking about? Everybody wants to have the best controller for their console, it's one of the only things left differentiating consoles from gaming PCs. And since Microsoft just straight copy-pasted the XB1 controller for XSX, DualSense is the winner this generation without question. After Sony pushed some firmware updates for it, the haptics are amazing even when used for PS4 titles.

DualSense, upscaled 1440p that's near-indistinguishable from 4K, and a UI designed to get you in and out of games quickly are the three best reasons to own a PS5 right now. It's also the best way to experience PS4 games, and a good place to get EGS exclusives when I don't want to wait a year.

Reactions: HellGhast

yeshuachrist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*Console Demand, New or Used* + *Price Point Decline with Production Decline following Demand Decline* + *Proprietary Hardware thats not manufactured with the goal of selling at a lower price* + *Third Party Quality Products for New or Existing Owners of a New or Used Product (may not have quality, but is the only available option)* ========== Predatory Behavior originating from the Console Company, Bad Policies, and decades old approaches of a "home console market"................(home console market, will not exist anymore, as "smart devices", "single board computers", and home computers, become cheaper and with better performance)

(this was a clear issue, at the very end of the PS2's lifecycle when sony made all those controllers with defective oxidizing materials...................and this happened with the ps3, but with the ps4, sony did have successive production runs not with lower price points, and the quality of the version2 controllers was really POOR......................with the PS5, its another sad trend of behavior that will have another disappointing conclusion) (it depends on when demand ceases abruptly with either the ps5 or the next generations and for other home console markets, we'll see major rollbacks in many policies)

(I don't believe the PS5 is a bum system, it has negative trends like other home consoles, I also don't believe purchasing a current home console in the first 5 years is important anymore....................but after the first 5 years, that is the true determining point for, accessibility, quality and choice)

Last edited by yeshuachrist,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
*Console Demand, New or Used* + *Price Point Decline with Production Decline following Demand Decline*
I don't feel demand is really a big driver for price drops or revisions any more, it's just a matter of the hardware becoming cheaper to manufacture over time and/or shrinking in size over time. Sony knows the demand is there after the success of PS4, and Microsoft continued making new revisions of XB1 even despite consistently underwhelming demand.

*Proprietary Hardware thats not manufactured with the goal of selling at a lower price*
Except PS5 and XSX are both sold at a loss, and building a gaming PC for $500 right now wouldn't get you even half as much power.

(I don't believe the PS5 is a bum system, it has negative trends like other home consoles, I also don't believe purchasing a current home console in the first 5 years is important anymore....................but after the first 5 years, that is the true determining point for, accessibility, quality and choice)
Sure, if you're coming in fresh it doesn't really matter. Most people who want a PS5/XSX right now want it because they have an existing PS4/XB1 library to hold them over until the floodgate of exclusives opens up. Or just because they need a modern system to play new multiplatform games on, and they don't really care about exclusives.

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
Hell Yes.

Two infact, one I leave untouched in the box so that i don't have to update the firmware incase a jailbreak or homebrew comes along on low firmware, the 2nd one for normal use without having to worry about updates.

Reactions: Xzi

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got a PS5 & Series X. Not sure why, but currently my PS5 is not on the latest firmware, but still have access to psn+/store. Which is pretty damn good incase of a jailbreak. But if it becomes mandatory then I'll just play the same multiplat with updates on series X or PC

Last edited by MasterJ360,
Reactions: Xzi

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
I've had several, both disc and digital, all with shitty fans that had the "ufo" noise that could be heard 8 ft away on my sofa. I still have one of each, still sealed, in my spare bedroom. Selling those too. Will buy one for myself after they stop with the fan lottery.

Remember YLOD?

Me, I love loud fans, loud as a fu**ing fighter jet taking off a carrier deck on afterburners is how I like my PlayStation, with a massive heatsink to go along with the jet blast. I had way too many Ps3's go YLOD and if the solution is a loud fan that's cool(no pun intended)

BTW the non-disc Ps5 has a new lighter version with smaller heatsink and I think that sucks, Sony downgrading cooling to cut costs, and it will get a fan optimization update to reduce fan speed, should suit your demands, but I guarantee Ylod.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
BTW the non-disc Ps5 has a new lighter version with smaller heatsink and I think that sucks, Sony downgrading cooling to cut costs, and it will get a fan optimization update to reduce fan speed, should suit your demands, but I guarantee Ylod.
I like overkill cooling too but I'm not sure the reduced heatsink in the new revision will make a huge difference (although it proved my theory that it's better to get one before cost-cutting models show up for the same price). It's a shame they they didn't address the memory cooling though as that part does concern me.

Reactions: HellGhast

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
I like overkill cooling too but I'm not sure the reduced heatsink in the new revision will make a huge difference (although it proved my theory that it's better to get one before cost-cutting models show up for the same price). It's a shame they they didn't address the memory cooling though as that part does concern me.

Gamer Nexus, a mostly Pc-centric channel, had a teardown + thermals vid that literally de-psyched some of the hype I had for Ps5.

The ram chips had no cooling solution whatsoever, just thermal pads connecting the ram chips to the RFi shield, no heatsink. Some of the chips were doing 90°C, that's Celsius not Fahrenheit.

Am a PlayStation fan but that was a pathetic design choice by Sony, the XSX on the other hand had a massive copper heat sink connected to the Cpu/Apu and All the ram chips.

Your point of memory cooling is valid and if anything Sony should have upgraded to a bigger heatsink with heat pipes coming round to cool the ram chips.

The decision by Sony to downgrade the heatsink is dubious. If the Cpu/Apu had been improved to a smaller more efficient die size the smaller heatsink would be understandable as a cost cutting measure.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The decision by Sony to downgrade the heatsink is dubious. If the Cpu/Apu had been improved to a smaller more efficient die size the smaller heatsink would be understandable as a cost cutting measure.

Dubious? Clearly it's cost effective ...could it be that the new heatsink continues to allow the machine to operate within whatever parameters Sony has set for it? There's no way Sony would want another YLOD. 90C sounds high, but in reality it's not the end of the world, and it wouldn't be hitting that kind of temp consistently. So I don't see what you're getting at really, you're just looking at the *cough, clickbait, cough* reports from Austin Evans and/or Gamer Nexus and grabbing the pitchfork: no the PS5 isn't the design marvel that the Series X or S are, but it's still a good machine presumably still performing the way Sony wants it.
Of course if these new models start dropping like flies in 6 months I'll admit I was wrong. But I doubt it.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remember YLOD?

Me, I love loud fans, loud as a fu**ing fighter jet taking off a carrier deck on afterburners is how I like my PlayStation, with a massive heatsink to go along with the jet blast. I had way too many Ps3's go YLOD and if the solution is a loud fan that's cool(no pun intended)

I never had any issue whatsoever with any PS3 or PS4 I ever owned. The PS5 fan noise I'm referring to is not just regular fan noise. There are 2 different fans being used in the PS5. The Nidec model sits off balance and causes a loud fluttery/chirpy noise that is usually referred to as the "ufo" sound. I had that fan model in every PS5 I opened and used. I don't mind the sound of airflow. I don't like the sound of a bird living inside my PS5 that I can hear from 8 feet away. :)

Last edited by D34DL1N3R,

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dubious? Clearly it's cost effective ...could it be that the new heatsink continues to allow the machine to operate within whatever parameters Sony has set for it? There's no way Sony would want another YLOD. 90C sounds high, but in reality it's not the end of the world, and it wouldn't be hitting that kind of temp consistently. So I don't see what you're getting at really, you're just looking at the *cough, clickbait, cough* reports from Austin Evans and/or Gamer Nexus and grabbing the pitchfork: no the PS5 isn't the design marvel that the Series X or S are, but it's still a good machine presumably still performing the way Sony wants it.
Of course if these new models start dropping like flies in 6 months I'll admit I was wrong. But I doubt it.
I have a feeling that Sony may have been collecting data on temps from launch (who knows what sort of data the PS5 sends home), and after analysing it realised they could make immediate savings by reducing the amount of copper being used. Also, I agree about Austin Evans but it doesn't seem accurate to describe Steve from Gamer's Nexus that way. If anything he seems to be one of those "I don't care who I piss off I'm getting to the bottom of this" sort of guys. I've been building PCs since the late 80s and I'm not comfortable with any RAM hitting 90C, but I'm also going to give Sony the benefit of the doubt for now, as these days hardware generally isn't built to last decades like it used to be.

Cortador

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...Sony knows the demand is there after the success of PS4....

That sure played well for Sony at the beginning of the PS3 generation after the very successful PS2. :)

EDIT: For a bit of clarification I'm not saying the PS5 doesn't currently have astronomical demand but am trying to imply that just because there is demand, Sony can't expect to pull out shenanigans and expect people to just bite whatever is throw at them.

Last edited by Cortador,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: For a bit of clarification I'm not saying the PS5 doesn't currently have astronomical demand but am trying to imply that just because there is demand, Sony can't expect to pull out shenanigans and expect people to just bite whatever is throw at them.
Well yeah, the only reason it does have astronomical demand is because people know exactly what to expect from it. There's no bait and switch like with PS3's backward compatibility and 'other OS' feature. Just the best controller of this generation and the best way to play PS4 games, along with a few really solid exclusives.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: