Popular Project M Mods Legacy XP and TE to Cease Development Effective Immediately Amidst Confusion

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
maxresdefault.jpg

In a situation that seems all too familiar, the fan project Smash Bros. Legacy has ceased development of both the Legacy XP and Legacy TE modpacks effective immediately. Head developer David V. Kimball made the following statement in the official Discord server:

David V. Kimball said:
Dear Legacy Community,

On June 14, 2013, we started a small Super Smash Bros. fan blog. Since then we’ve created videos, produced live streams, and developed projects Legacy XP and Legacy TE, which are played all around the world.

Today we’ve decided that Legacy XP 2.11 and Legacy TE 2.5 will be the final version of the Legacy mods. Effective immediately, both Legacy teams will be ceasing development of all associated projects.

We’re deeply grateful for being involved in the scene and we’re grateful for every player, creator, and spectator who’s joined us through this venture. Amidst these milestones and what we’ve been able to accomplish to celebrate the Super Smash Bros. series of games, we’ve built an amazing community of Smash fans and the relationships we’ve fostered have never been stronger.

Please know this decision is final, and both teams’ leadership is fully on-board.

Sincerely,

The Legacy Team

This statement was posted suddenly at 5:53 PM CDT, and no further explanation beyond this statement was given. All download links for the project on Brawl Vault have been removed, and the Brawl Vault account for head developer David V. Kimball has been completely wiped.
Having read the statement, it would seem that all teams were in agreement with the decision. However, I've spoken with multiple Legacy XP developers on the subject and none of them were told about this beforehand. Panic has ensued in the Discord community and I'm told the developers are still actively investigating the situation.

This post will be updated with further details as they become public information.

UPDATE 3/14/2019 8:41 CDT: Head developer David V. Kimball published a Tweet earlier today stating that Video Game Attorney Ryan Morrison was the individual who suggested that Smash Bros. Legacy cease development immediately. This is notably the same individual that was involved with the closure of Project M development and the disbanding of the PMDT. Nintendo reportedly was not involved at all.

:arrow: Source: Smash Bros. Legacy Official Website
:arrow: Source: Smash Bros. Legacy on Twitter
:arrow: Source: Smash Bros. Legacy on Discord
:arrow: Source: David V. Kimball on Twitter

Last edited by PrincessLillie,

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
So uh... What's going on then..?
We don't know exactly. David V. Kimball isn't exactly being transparent about this, and from what I hear, only one other person was let in on the full details. It sounds like they're being pressured to stay quiet.
A popular theory in the Discord is a Nintendo DMCA, but that simply doesn't make sense. This is a fan modpack for a 12 year old game we're talking about here.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
We don't know exactly. David V. Kimball isn't exactly being transparent about this, and from what I hear, only one other person was let in on the full details. It sounds like they're being pressured to stay quiet.
A popular theory in the Discord is a Nintendo DMCA, but that simply doesn't make sense. This is a fan modpack for a 12 year old game we're talking about here.
Yeah, it's weird. Fan modpacks usually don't contain any copyrighted files, at least by Nintendo. But he might have to stay quiet from a legal standpoint of he was indeed served with papers.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE 3/14/2019 8:41 CDT: Head developer David V. Kimball published a Tweet earlier today stating that Video Game Attorney Ryan Morrison was the individual who suggested that Smash Bros. Legacy cease development immediately. This is notably the same individual that was involved with the closure of Project M development and the disbanding of the PMDT. Nintendo reportedly was not involved at all.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
wish theyd share this stuff all over so it didnt disappear before we get to try it
I mean, both Smash Bros. Legacy XP and Smash Bros. Legacy TE have been available to download for a while. I have no doubts that a mirror site will spring up soon enough, similar to how we have the Project M Lightning Mirror.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I kept thinking jaws was gonna come up and attack