Post a pic of your MP3 player

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I'd like using rockbox for certain features of it, but it sucks when it comes to playing videos... at least on iPod video, that's it.

i can't stand rockbox, i never installed it on my 5g and i will never install it on my 6g, way to risky and buggy from what i've seen anyway.

I got my Archos 605 80GB on Thursday and I think its great, few gripes with it like the need and cost of the plugins.

lol they charge you to use the rest of the features of the mp3 player? XD

robi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I wish i had a Talkboy
fxtapep.jpg

It can play tapes, and with the microphone you can record voices and adjust pitch and speed and also seen on home alone 2!

I have my Talkboy still
smile.gif

I didn't know there was a transparent blue one though, mine is the standard grey.

It still works actually, I needed a tape recorder a few months back and all I could find was the ol' Talkboy
biggrin.gif

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like using rockbox for certain features of it, but it sucks when it comes to playing videos... at least on iPod video, that's it.

i can't stand rockbox, i never installed it on my 5g and i will never install it on my 6g, way to risky and buggy from what i've seen anyway.
Risky and buggy? Don't be so naive young one. I've installed and used Rockbox on many different mp3 players without ever having a problem. Feature-wise it makes the default iPod firmware look like crap.

gigermunit

Trophies
Website
gigermunit.uni.cc
XP
Country
United States

Risky and buggy? Don't be so naive young one. I've installed and used Rockbox on many different mp3 players without ever having a problem. Feature-wise it makes the default iPod firmware look like crap.
For the 200th time i agree with Urza, you need to read the fine print, it's everywhere there is very very very little chance that your mp3 player will brick, most of that percent is if you got an ipod but use the sansa installer, i installed it on my sansa c240 lastnight and thank god, it improved my battery life, i can play doom on it, watch videos and it makes my mp3 player look even prettier.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country

first of all it's based on linux, which equals to lots of problems, not a easy install at all, i've seen the videos, read the topic posts and you really need to know what you are doing to get the best out of rockbox, i'm pretty much fine with the default firmware without risking destroying or bricking my ipod.

xflash

Local Ninja
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
i got my new 160gb ipod classic (i'll take some pics later) yesterday and so far i just don't get you people talking about lagging in the menus mine runs as smooth as silk with no lag at if coverflow is off but with it on where talking about lag of around 1/10 of a second generally something you won't notice

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
first of all it's based on linux, which equals to lots of problems, not a easy install at all, i've seen the videos, read the topic posts and you really need to know what you are doing to get the best out of rockbox, i'm pretty much fine with the default firmware without risking destroying or bricking my ipod.
1. Its not based on Linux.

2. Linux doesn't = lots of problems.

3. Its incredibly easy to install. The installation on my current mp3 player (a Sansa e200) consisted of plugging it into USB, and clicking a button on the installer.

4. It only takes a few minutes of playing around with Rockbox to realize how rich feature-wise it is.

5. The chance of 'destroying' your iPod is no more than if you used the official firmware updater.

You are the most ignorant person to post in this thread yet.

xflash

Local Ninja
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
indeed what urza is saying is correct there is no danger installing rockbox or using it and it's not based on linux you must mean IPL (ipod linux) which obvilusly is based on linux but not even that is dangerous to install or use

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
i got my new 160gb ipod classic (i'll take some pics later) yesterday and so far i just don't get you people talking about lagging in the menus mine runs as smooth as silk with no lag at if coverflow is off but with it on where talking about lag of around 1/10 of a second generally something you won't notice

you seriously didn't watch my video did you? when i was browsing the menus there was a small delay and it was very noticeable.

QUOTEThere are so many things wrong with that statement.

1. Its not based on Linux.

2. Linux doesn't = lots of problems.

3. Its incredibly easy to install. The installation on my current mp3 player (a Sansa e200) consisted of plugging it into USB, and clicking a button on the installer.

4. It only takes a few minutes of playing around with Rockbox to realize how rich feature-wise it is.

5. The chance of 'destroying' your iPod is no more than if you used the official firmware updater.

You are the most ignorant person to post in this thread yet.

seriously man i don't care anymore because my ipod classic is not supported by rockbox anymore, i will never install it, the official firmware update yes i agree is just as buggy and has it's own sort of problems, the difference is that there will be actual bug fixes by apple eventually, a open source firmware supported by a 3rd party won't be so often, if you really think i am ignorant for me believing that i risk destroying my ipod (and my warranty for installing rockbox if it dies, yes i have seen the topics about people bricking their ipods installing this program) then you are the one that are naive it's my choice what i do with my ipod, not yours, i payed hard earned cash for my ipod and i definitely don't want to risk destroying it thank you very much.

does this look like a simple point and click install to you?
http://ipodlinux.org.nyud.net:8080/5g
http://digg.com/mods/Put_Linux_On_Your_5G_...ay_doom_on_it_)
yes it's ipod linux but you see where i am getting from? it's not really easy for the average user is it?

rockbox forum topic, just proving my point, look at the poll
http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:qSWSw...clnk&cd=3&gl=uk

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
@jalaneme

I think your confusing the two. Rockbox is an alternative firmware for the ipod and many players, ipod linux is a linux port for the ipod running uClinux.

ipod linux has a point and click installer but like many other homebrew projects it isn't a sure thing. Ipod linux is also pretty crippled as a replacement for the default ipod firmware.

rockbox is easy to install, stable(as a rock
tongue.gif
) and offers a lot more than the default firmware.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm with Urza on this one. The "Proof" that you point to of rockbox being hard to use dates back a whole year. And iPodlinux, a seperate, unrelated firmware project, has had "Installer 2" for a while now, which is an easy point and click installer.

Maktub

Trophies
XP
Country
Meh, no video support anyway xD And well, iPod's original firmware's not bad anyway. I mean, I've never had a problem or felt annoyed about the way it works

H8TR

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
16GB iPod touch

image1lw9.jpg

image2lc6.jpg

image3gv5.jpg

image4uo5.jpg

Got it last Tuesday. It's amazing. But whats more fun is trying to connect to random Wi-Fi connections to access internet wherever possible. You wouldn't believe how many people don't secure their Wi-Fi connections.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo