Hacking Post your ideas regarding how to hack the 3DS, here

NickMagliaro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Not to be an ass, but no. You're basically coding inside a "game" made for tinkering with a limited version of basic.
If you succeeded in making some kind of exploit with petit computer, you would have successfully made a hack inside a game.
Good for you, but it would in no way lead to the 3ds being hacked.
You're not being an ass, you're being honest

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mean it didn't work for you at all?
Mine worked fine. I can even play Wii-u games on the 3ds homebrew channel now.
Srsly, let's not let the thread get too off track.
For real info about how things are going, check out the "neimod making progress" thread.

UnoAphex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
All I'm saying is a little grace and civility is a far better response than simply yelling at them. There is thousands of people so you'll get people who post unwittingly. Happens to the best of us. sometimes you really do have to repeat yourselves regardless of how many/signs flags that say "go this way before you do this" Sure rules are rules but thats no reason to swear at people plus Id leave warnings up to real staff .

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
All I'm saying is a little grace and civility is a far better response than simply yelling at them. There is thousands of people so you'll get people who post unwittingly. Happens to the best of us. sometimes you really do have to repeat yourselves regardless of how many/signs flags that say "go this way before you do this" Sure rules are rules but thats no reason to swear at people plus Id leave warnings up to real staff .
Most people would prefer a verbal warning from a member to an actual-account warning from a mod. Never have I said "Would you prefer I report your post to a mod instead of telling you myself?" and had somebody answer "yes". :P

The swearing is to make a point, that posting without doing any research on the matter (a quick youtube search for the obvious key words is not research, otherwise everybody would know about it) is just annoying to forum users and they should at least do a cursory glance around before posting about something.

Reactions: Vampire Lied

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
The last time someone asked me if I'd rather my post get reported rather than receive a verbal warning from them, I answered yes.
They accused me of dripping with sarcasm.

Anyway, it's easy to fake YouTube vids of 3DS emulation. Record a bit of gameplay, edit it into a Windows screen, and suddenly you get worshipped as a prophet. Or accused of frauds and scams.

Daemauroa

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
wouldn't be actually easier nowadays to build a 3ds by reverse engineering it and make it compatible with 3ds flashcarts? or even just using the sd card slot? just a noob-theory, I know. I heard there was actually a person who was planning to reverse engineer the thing.

DarkWork0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a question involving the encryption. If part of the aes encryption was somehow found, say the first 4 bytes or whatever, would that partially uncover any data or plaintext?

superspudz2000

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
why not just make a Mod Chip?

Hardwiring is usually better than softmods in the console world.
its not for the average joe but thats a good thing.
the people following the DS scene have gotten lazy,
just pop in a R4 gold and away you go.

they should be looking at more complicated means to get homebrew on 3DS,
including de-soldering the CPU and wiring in a custom programmed CPU.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
wouldn't be actually easier nowadays to build a 3ds by reverse engineering it and make it compatible with 3ds flashcarts? or even just using the sd card slot? just a noob-theory, I know. I heard there was actually a person who was planning to reverse engineer the thing.
Same thing.

You might as well be saying "Why aren't the sword people thinking of ways to swing the sword through the air and have it collide with flesh in order to cleave through it with the result of crippling or killing the person on the other end?"

Reverse-engineering parts of the system involves studying how it works, and modifying it to work with flash carts and crap would require hacking/modding the system to change it's behavior. Aiming the stuff at the use of flash carts won't make it easier.

Just a question involving the encryption. If part of the aes encryption was somehow found, say the first 4 bytes or whatever, would that partially uncover any data or plaintext?
Nope.

why not just make a Mod Chip?
'Cause they'd still need to know how all the signals pass around the system (from what we know some of it's encrypted even when passing between the parts) and then how to modify them in order to introduce wanted behavior.

In addition, softmods are heavily preferred to hardmods nowadays, especially in mobile devices. When's the last time you saw somebody do a hardmod on an android phone to root it? How many modchips do you see for the Dingoo and Experia Play? Jack shit.

Hardwiring is usually better than softmods in the console world.
Not in the modern handheld world. There was one modchip for the PSP for examples, and almost nobody gave a shit. Why would anybody spend lots of time and money taking the device apart just to have a more limited version of what other people could do with just the purchase of a game?

they should be looking at more complicated means to get homebrew on 3DS,
Who says they aren't? There's pictures circulating of dismantled machines hooked up to debugging boards... and the people doing that shit aren't the people here asking extremely broad questions.

including de-soldering the CPU and wiring in a custom programmed CPU.
Hahahahaha, yeah, good luck with that nowadays.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
You can't put any random CPU in place of the existing CPU. That's like taking out your brain and replacing it with a donkey's brain. There won't be much loss overall, but since they're wired differently the body won't work very well at all.

Working out how the CPU works is one of the methods for reverse engineering, however the CPU (and other microprocessors in the digital backbone) tends to be the most protected part when building systems. Good luck breaking past that.

HorreC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep looking at the hardware of the 3ds, and I see many spots around the processor that dont have the marked resistors on them. Now I know they planed for them, and the must have been changed in a hardware revision, but if we connect those with similar resistors that surround it would we be able to get a less stable processor or I/O and create a undesired environment to maybe get exited code that might have signatures or anything really? I am just a noob by all rights but I cant help but think there was a reason they were marked then not used.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Not really, no. If the system crashes, how the hell are we supposed to gather any info? And we'd need to be able to influence the crash and make it repeatable.

Also, there really needs to be a "I WILL READ THE FUCKING STICKIES" notice you need to agree to before posting in this thread, because there's a theories sticky for this kind of stuff...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: After watching, that I feel like I'm on them already