PPSSPP Switch Beta Release

1.jpg

PPSSPP/Libretro Switch Public Beta by m4xw
==========================================

After a lot of work, I am very happy to share this with all of you.
Audio & Video support works, many core options cause Issues tho.

It is mandatory to "Close Content" after changing any Core option and restarting RetroArch, else it will potentially crash, don't close the RetroArch menu!

Special thanks to hrydgard for everything he has done for the PPSSPP Project.
If you want to support his work, consider buying PPSSPP Gold https://central.ppsspp.org/buygold even if you don't use it!

I will PR it once the libretro port is finished, also implemented half of what's needed for a Standalone port ;)
Source is on my Github, but it's highly WIP and needs a custom RA and a custom ffmpeg, so you should just wait if you want to build it yourself ;)

Libretro Docs (important informations for this core):
https://docs.libretro.com/library/ppsspp/
Official Game Compatibility Tracker (your mileage might vary): https://report.ppsspp.org/games

GitHub (WIP Switch): https://github.com/m4xw/ppsspp/
GitHub (Official): https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp

Installation Instructions

Drag & Drop the "retroarch" folder to the root of your SD, overwriting any file (it will not touch any options).
Assets are bundled, so you don't have to bother with that.

Notes

If you are using ANY method of loading RetroArch OTHER than Atmosphere's title redirection feature, DO NOT report issues that you encounter.
These issues can skew testing and could very well be caused by loading through an unsupported method.

Video slowdowns are related to missing hardware accelerated decoding (nvdec), it's not a libretro/PPSSPP Issue.
FMV cut-scenes will be fine.

Updates

Added JIT and JIT Vertex Decoder Support
- When loading Savestates with JIT, make sure to instantly open the RetroArch Menu again and wait for it to complete loading
- This is a libretro specific bug (not switch port related) and will be fixed later on

-Added Vertex JIT Core option (turning it off fixes some games currently)
-Added Disable slow Framebuffer effects Core option (Speedhack)
-Increased Savestate Chunk size to 4MB (speeds up savestate load, ~2sec)
-Band-Aid for Savestate load + Save (no more opening menu for them to work)
-Renamed "IR JIT" to "IR Interpreter"
-Removed Threaded IO Core option (non-functional)
-Removed Non-Buffered Rendering Core option (non-functional)
-General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience.

Download Link: <Please use the RetroArch Core updater>

Last edited by m4xw,

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use Retroarch nsp for my Switch with exfat. I know about exfat. Anyway.. Everything is good. FMV might be slow but they said they will work on it to improve. Awesome!

micky johnston

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I would love to play psp games on my switch but all I get is a black screen.

I boot it by holding r on a installed game which takes me to hbl where I load retroarch.
I then choose the ppsspp core
I then choose a iso. Every one goes to black screen but the info in the core looks like it is reporting a few errors.

I have checked the cires/systen/PPSSPP folder and the 3 folders and the files are in there including the ones mentioned in the pic. I checked in the settings and it has the same folder linked for my assets.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have a switch on 7. 0.1 running kosmos latest build released today (it didn't work on the last build) I have tried booting with both henkake and fusee.

Turns out I cannot post a screenshot.

(¡) present, required ppge. Zim
(¡) ppge_atlas. Zim
(!) ppsspp requires asset files, lang and flash(0) inside the system\ppsspp directory

DollyWhipDoll

Royalty & Unbothered. LMFAO!!! ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see there's been a party up in here! :toot: Snatches off
made you look
and throws them in the air!

Hrydgard and M4xw are genius!

Let me start by saying... go and play Star Soldier, right now, if you have a Flip Grip. I don't have anything like that, yet, but this game looks fantastic at 1440x816 and 1224 or so OC plus it's vertical, though I played it horizontally to the second boss, so far.

Here's some things. Spoilering because it's a lot.

Tried with different RetroArch CPU clockspeeds {tolerance may vary, try multiple} and 1440x816 resolution. Many played under 10 minutes.

Playable
Namco Museum Battle Collection
Tetris
MJ - The Experience {dance it up!}
Ridge Racer 2
flOw
Bomberman
Canabalt
Power Stone Collection {only tried 1v1} Space Invaders Evolution
Pinball Duel
Edge
Pac-Man Championship Editon {yes, Switch has a version taking up more space} Ultimate Board Game Collection {finally, some Checkers!}
Coconut Dodge
Hungry Giraffe
Archibald's Adventures
5-in-1 Arcade Hits
Aquattack

Almost
Jetpack Joyride about 95% there, Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max and Pallurikio maybe 80%

Darius Burst {looks good but slowdowns, especially during boss battle}

Not yet
No to Peggle, Angry Birds, and Bejeweled 2, but fingers crossed! Glitchy between levels and slowdowns. Playable, if desperate. Lmao.

Hopefully, Midnight Club 3 Dub Edition will become playable for that Free Roam mode!

Reactions: lordelan and Bil

Clockdryve

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cant even get a full copy of "ppsspp_libretro...... to show up in my multiple attempts of downloading (shows "29,279654" file size - but shows "0" packed in the core folder)....and when I try to drop this core package (or complete retroarch folder)....I get a popup with a bunch of yellow exclamation point notices. Windows 10 64bit - of course the core causes my 6.2.0 (4.1.0 no fuse burn update) to crash only on that operation. I even get an error - operation failed (yellow exclamation point shield) when I try to open the READEME.txt in the ppsspp folder. The eventual text opens and is empty...tho shows it's 1,980 - 16,656,444 sized text document. Using Winrar to unzip. Using Atmosphere.

mhayquel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
it works well on my switch.
- Switch FW 7.0.0
- Atmospere 0.8.6 /KOSMOS 12
- RetroArch 1.7.6
- Micro SD ExFat format

some games works fine but my problem is after selecting content, it takes a lot of time to load a game, like 3mins. Is it normal?

Last edited by mhayquel,

satel

Luigi's Big Brother
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
- Switch FW 7.0.0
- RetroArch 1.7.6
- Micro SD ExFat format

some games works fine but my problem is after selecting content, it takes a lot of time to load a game, like 3mins. Is it normal?

loading should be instant. i'm also using exfat (sx os)

stitchxd

Trophies
Website
gnusocial.me
XP
Country
United States
I use Retroarch nsp for my Switch with exfat. I know about exfat. Anyway.. Everything is good. FMV might be slow but they said they will work on it to improve. Awesome!
Using PPSSPP in RA and exFAT just fugged my whole SD. I would switch to FAT32 ASAP.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

- Switch FW 7.0.0
- RetroArch 1.7.6
- Micro SD ExFat format

Use FAT32 - I had this issue with exFAT which did eventually crap out on me since it was exfat.

D

Deleted User

Using PPSSPP in RA and exFAT just fugged my whole SD. I would switch to FAT32 ASAP.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Use FAT32 - I had this issue with exFAT which did eventually crap out on me since it was exfat.

thank you for posting i ruined 2 sd setups as well

people for the last time fat32!

Reactions: stitchxd

Clockdryve

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using a 32gb formatted exfat - part of my problem was I extracted the files using winzip... all looked well but when I later inspected - I downloaded 7-zip as its show to be zipped with. That allowed for the "many" files that weren't properly extracted (empty) to be carried over for distribution to the location needed. Now I attempt to load up the ISO and the screen is blank-frozen with only >push A button (something similar) on lower right...and a symbol on lower left. Had to hold power button extended time to force shutdown. OMG - I FORGOT ABOUT THE EXFAT WARNING!!! I was trying my 256GB (nearly FULL - 56gb remaining) on a few tries @#%&!!. Thank God it didn't run. Still not running for me on 32gb fat32 SD card. I guess I wait for it to be added into the RetroArch core download option. I don't want to burn up files on my SD. Can't wait for PSP emulation.

salamandrusker

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
@m4xw fantastic job ,I became a collaborator in your channel to support your work :D
I like to use some extra loading method using retronx and nsp jijii and atmosphere
as Naruto would say I believe in you

micky johnston

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Update. I have reinstalled both retroarch and the ppsspp files now gta lib City boots but freezes on the loading screen but ffviii and resi 3 won't boot at all and crash the app

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: (and the joke here is that i misheard pride month as bread month)