Prime2D Shutdown, Project+ Event Cancelled, MLK in Fortnite & more - Tempcast #54

tempcast-169-logo-png.246523
In this week's mediocre at best episode we discuss a myriad of topics such as Martin Luther King Jr. appearing in Fortnite as some kind of avant-garde historical gaming lecture, the second Metroid Dread trailer which contains spoilers, and also the Saints Row reboot reveal. Finally, we discuss Nintendo's further attempts at shutting down any fan projects that look even remotely cool, specifically the ceased development of Prime2D, as well as the now cancelled Project+ event which was supposed to be held at Riptide. NOTE: The Prime2D and Project+ segments in this episode were recorded without our resident lawyer/legal expert Ericzander, so no legal debate is present in this week's podcast unfortunately.

Theme by VinsCool and AlanJohn​

Also available on:
:arrow: Spotify
:arrow: Apple Podcasts
:arrow: Google Podcasts
:arrow: Breaker
:arrow: RadioPublic
:arrow: PocketCasts
:arrow: Anchor.fm
:arrow: Overcast
:arrow: Direct MP3 Download

Zajumino

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow no lawyer explains? Why even bother.

The Tempcast ought to have another lawyer. That way there would be more consistency in terms of having lawyer explains.

Another benefit of lawyers explain would be that explains would likely become more substantial in terms of lawyerliness, which is something I have been wanting to see.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I don't know what's worse, Prime getting shut down, or the fact that games like Fortnight even exist.

As soon as Metroid Dread was announced for real, with a trailer and all, anyone with half a brain knew Nintendo was going to go after Metroid fan projects

There is a reason why the Nes Metroid HD Mod is a mod and not a remake after all.

Reactions: JuanMena and XDel

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As soon as Metroid Dread was announced for real, with a trailer and all, anyone with half a brain knew Nintendo was going to go after Metroid fan projects

There is a reason why the Nes Metroid HD Mod is a mod and not a remake after all.

There is also the SNES remake done with Super Metroid.

Last edited by XDel,

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
There is also the SNES remake done with Super Metroid.

I mostly mentioned the Nes Metroid HD Mod/Pack because not only it been recently updated, is as close to the Nes game as possible since it is the Nes game, only with better graphics and sound.

And since Metroid I is so frustrating, may as well enjoy the nice coat of paint and nicer (but maybe not better) sound.

My favorite game is the series is still Metroid II, so is awesome having both Another Metroid II Remake and the official 3DS remake.

And hey, Metroid Dread and the inevitable port of the Wii Metroid Prime Trilogy to the Switch.

Why inevitable? Cause they are going to need to give something when Prime 4 doesn't come out next year.

So this year Dread... next year lazy port... or not so lazy.

Reactions: XDel

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mostly mentioned the Nes Metroid HD Mod/Pack because not only it been recently updated, is as close to the Nes game as possible since it is the Nes game, only with better graphics and sound.

And since Metroid I is so frustrating, may as well enjoy the nice coat of paint and nicer (but maybe not better) sound.

My favorite game is the series is still Metroid II, so is awesome having both Another Metroid II Remake and the official 3DS remake.

And hey, Metroid Dread and the inevitable port of the Wii Metroid Prime Trilogy to the Switch.

Why inevitable? Cause they are going to need to give something when Prime 4 doesn't come out next year.

So this year Dread... next year lazy port... or not so lazy.

I hope not so lazy! :)

Slinger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Huh?... "Martin Luther"-who? Sorry I don't play Fortnite. (j/k)

But it's so, so sad to hear about Prime2D and Project+ getting the... "Nintendo fan treatment". Reminds me of how they acted against AM2R and that fairly big Smash Bros tournament that was going to be held online (because of corona). They really don't like when people do anything outside of just playing their games.:(

edit/btw: about the Metroid trailers. Is anyone else getting less and less hyped about this game? Samus used to be a powerful badass. Now she's hunted by "one-hit-kill" robots (with long death animations), and getting held in air and choked helplessly (with a close-up of her face). Seriously...

Last edited by Slinger,

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
[QUOTE="Slinger, post: 9569186, member: 393838"
edit/btw: about the Metroid trailers. Is anyone else getting less and less hyped about this game? Samus used to be a powerful badass. Now she's hunted by "one-hit-kill" robots (with long death animations), and getting held in air and choked helplessly (with a close-up of her face). Seriously...[/QUOTE]
On the torizos or w/e choking her:
  • Super Metroid: Ridley almost kills Samus at the beginning of the game
  • Metroid Fusion: The X parasite almost kills Samus at the beginning of the game
  • Metroid Prime 2: Samus is ambushed by the Ing and has her abilities stolen at the beginning of the game
  • Metroid Prime 3: Dark Samus infects and knocks out Samus for a month at the beginning of the game
Idk for sure, but I'm thinking this'll be a similar thing, like as part of the prologue

& Metroid has had high-vulnerability situations before, like ZM post-MB and the increasing chance of corruption in MP3. I think there's similar stuff in Fusion but I haven't played that yet

Reactions: Slinger

Slinger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Regarding the question towards the end of the podcast (about not reporting on fan games): Quite the opposite! I'd rather see GBAtemp not reporting "mainstream" gaming news and focus completely on hardware, exploits, hacks and homebrewing. That's where the heart of the community lies.;)

edit/btw: about the Metroid trailers. Is anyone else getting less and less hyped about this game? Samus used to be a powerful badass. Now she's hunted by "one-hit-kill" robots (with long death animations), and getting held in air and choked helplessly (with a close-up of her face). Seriously...
On the torizos or w/e choking her:
  • Super Metroid: Ridley almost kills Samus at the beginning of the game
  • Metroid Fusion: The X parasite almost kills Samus at the beginning of the game
  • Metroid Prime 2: Samus is ambushed by the Ing and has her abilities stolen at the beginning of the game
  • Metroid Prime 3: Dark Samus infects and knocks out Samus for a month at the beginning of the game
Idk for sure, but I'm thinking this'll be a similar thing, like as part of the prologue

& Metroid has had high-vulnerability situations before, like ZM post-MB and the increasing chance of corruption in MP3. I think there's similar stuff in Fusion but I haven't played that yet

All valid points, but I feel there is a difference here. Now, I haven't played the prime games yet (the prime trilogy is in the pipeline, when I get the time), but most of the examples you mention focuses on removing her upgrades in the beginning of the game, as an excuse to give the player the classic Metroid style of progressively collecting them again. This instead feels like an overall design goal for the entire game: our brave powerful bounty hunter will be weak, hunted and afraid throughout the whole story.

The thing I love about Metroid is the slow exploration of environments. Some people prefer the boss fights, and I understand that. But Metroid has always been more about "adventure" than "action".

However... Fusion definitely diverged into horror-style by having Samus being pretty weak and getting chased by the SA-X. Quite frankly it's my least favorite game in the series so far. Actually my favorite is the original Metroid 2, because it focuses so much on exploration and the bosses are reduced to what I'd call "powerful wildlife" - a level that even a noob like me can survive and kill on the first try (and it's even possible to exit the boss areas to survive). And I adore the boss design of Arachnus - fighting it is an actual puzzle, compared to the remakes.

I'm just worried my least favorite parts of Fusion will be made the primary part of the game: Being weak and chased. Every time I die in a Metroid game it break the tension and immersion (to me). And boy did I die a lot in Fusion. When I finished the game I just felt empty, no feeling of accomplishment or appreciation for the interesting story. Oh and also that melee/counter from Samus Returns... returns.:unsure:

Last edited by Slinger,
Reactions: banjo2

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: guys, i want to start singing pirate metal songs and sea shanties if i play sea of thieves