Not open for further replies.

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd imagine a lot of kids go on this site. (I should know; I'm 14.)
Kids shouldn't be exposed to swear words. (They are regardless, but still.)
However, right now there is no stopping people from swearing.
The solution: a filter.
I'm not saying this should be unchangeable, but at the very least, there should be an option to turn one on in the settings.
A good example of how this could work is like with Super Mario Boards. There, you can toggle a filter that replaces all profanities with *bleep*. I don't know whether it's automatically on no matter what or if it only instantly turns on when you're under 13 (like I was when I signed up), but I can confirm that it can be turned on and off.
It seems like the most amazing idea for forums since BBcode.

Reactions: zoogie

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
People will just find creative ways to go around the filter.
It's like pissing in an ocean of piss.

Besides, offending posts should be reported so the staff can take care of them.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Realistically, if you aren't old enough to handle swear words on an online forum, you shouldn't be on an online forum. There's far worse things than that just floating around.

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Realistically, if you aren't old enough to handle swear words on an online forum, you shouldn't be on an online forum.
I can handle it. On the other hand, however, my little sister (she's 10) won't even watch new YouTube channels or any video from five years back out of fear of profanity.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can handle it. On the other hand, however, my little sister (she's 10) won't even watch new YouTube channels or any video from five years back out of fear of profanity.
Yeah, and I wouldn't recommend a 10 year old sign up to the forums either. Everything isn't for everyone, and that's fine.

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
If she's 10 she probably won't be joining a forum anyways since most laws require you to be at least 13

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
maybe we just filter the 14 year olds off the site :teach:

but yeah if there is something excessively offensive it will be dealt with as soon as it gets reported, but i wouldn't like the idea of crippling conversation just to avoid offending 13 year olds.....especially when they are the ones doing the swearing anyway usually

plus i think at 13 you really should be learning what the real world is really like to a degree

Last edited by gamesquest1,

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, and I wouldn't recommend a 10 year old sign up to the forums either. Everything isn't for everyone, and that's fine.
First-time visitors should get a confirmation screen that talks about permitted yet questionable stuff. Kids need to know what is allowed, not what isn't.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
People will just find creative ways to go around the filter.
It's like pissing in an ocean of piss.

Besides, offending posts should be reported so the staff can take care of them.
Ha the op complains about swear words then you go and use one that is considered medium on this list thats a fucking shocking act from a staff member your should be ashamed of yourself :rofl2:. (just joking I just wanted to swear)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.indy100.com/article/british-swear-words-ranked-ofcom-7340446?amp

Last edited by AmandaRose,

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but yeah if there is something excessively offensive it will be dealt with as soon as it gets reported, but i wouldn't like the idea of crippling conversation just to avoid offending 13 year olds.....especially when they are the ones doing the swearing anyway usually
I'm not saying this should be unchangeable, but at the very least, there should be an option to turn one on in the settings.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I'm pretty sure there are browser plugins that can do that for you on any site. No need to screw around with something like this.
yeah, there are plenty of tools available for the ultra deluxe bubble wrapping parents.....although i would imagine gbatemp itself would probably get blocked itself in the process, but if you want to just protect your innocence there is tools you can download and install yourself like this
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...filter/piajkpdbaniagacofgklljacgjhefjeh?hl=en
i know what your saying, but people who want to block profanity on the internet would be much better served blocking it internet wide themselves rather than banking on each site doing it for them

Last edited by gamesquest1,

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I always find it strange when people get offended at swear words simply because it's the norm here in Scotland we don't see swear words as bad and use swear words in nearly every sentence no matter who you are talking to kids adults old people parents ect we all swear. Here most of the time a kids first word the speak is a swear word.

Classic example below.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I'd rather not get the word "classic" halfway censored.
but that's exactly what your asking, any kind of filtering GBAtemp would do would be just as hit and miss as any other, you can't realistically detect and block every possible way of someone swearing, its going to hit you at some point no matter how hard you try

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but that's exactly what your asking, any kind of filtering GBAtemp would do would be just as hit and miss as any other, you can't realistically detect and block every possible way of someone swearing, its going to hit you at some point no matter how hard you try
Did I ever say the censorship had to be strong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1