Oldies Others Programming an Aladdin XT+ with XBlast (FT232RL Method)

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You must have prior soldering experience before proceeding. This is in no way, shape or form, a guide on how to solder.

Requirements:
  • OpenOCD-XPack (download)
  • XBlast CPLD files - only download the ones with (.SVF) (download)
  • FT232RL UART adapter - either a clone or original
1. Download the latest release of the OpenOCD-XPack, then extract the contents to an empty folder.

2. Inside the "/bin/" folder, create a new file called "openocd.cfg". Open the file using your preferred text editor, then make the following changes::
Code:
#daemon configuration
telnet_port 4444
gdb_port 3333

adapter driver ft232r
adapter speed 500
ft232r restore_serial 0x15
transport select jtag
jtag newtap LC4032V tap -irlen 8 -expected-id 0x01805043

3. Next, use a set of male-to-male jumper wires, and solder the JTAG connections from the Aladdin chip to the FT232 adapter as follows:

Aladdin XT+

FT232RL
+3.3V +3.3V
TDO RTS
TMS CTS
TDI RXD
TCK TXD
GND GND

(ENSURE THAT THE JUMPER ON THE FTDI IS SET TO +3.3V AND NOT +5V!)

1708596641092.png

4. Open a new terminal window inside of the current directory of "/bin/" and type "sudo ./openocd -f openocd.cfg" (no quotations) and press Enter. OpenOCD will wait until a debugger is connected. Then, in another terminal window, type "xterm -e telnet localhost 4444" (no quotations), from there, you can send commands to OpenOCD.

5. Inside of the Telnet window, type "svf" followed by the filename of the SVF file you wish to program (i.e., svf "1MB OSSUPPORT.SVF"), then press Enter to write it to the chip.

6. You're all set! :D

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering how Modville has been doing this and didn’t know enough about OG Xbox to Google how.

Great write up! Thanks for sharing
Modzville was using those clone Lattice ispDownload boxes. He modified the power rail to output 3.3V instead of 5V by installing a jumper from the regulator.

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Modzville was using those clone Lattice ispDownload boxes. He modified the power rail to output 3.3V instead of 5V by installing a jumper from the regulator.
I made my own XBlast Alladin using that method a few weeks ago. So much fun and it worked right away. His video about the topic is so great

• Love
Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I made my own XBlast Alladin using that method a few weeks ago. So much fun and it worked right away. His video about the topic is so great
I agree 100%. I've helped him out on some occasions with his PSX DVR chip installation. He's such a great guy to speak to, and I enjoy his videos.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol