Project Stream by Google announced, allows video game streaming

project stream.PNG

Earlier this year there were rumors about a certain project codenamed Yeti by Google that aimed to be a video game streaming service. It seems like there were actually some truth behind those rumors as today Google announced Project Stream.

While still a test, the service does not seem to be restricted to video game streaming as the project is advertised as "a test of Google’s streaming technologies in the US". However to kickstart things, Google has opted for streaming a video game and has partnered with Ubisoft to test the streaming capabilities of Assassin’s Creed Odyssey.

"We’re inspired by the game creators who spend years crafting these amazing worlds, adventures and experiences, and we’re building technology that we hope will support and empower that creativity," says Product Manager Catherine Hsiao.

A video boasting a 1080p, 60 fps stream of Assassin’s Creed Odyssey from Project Stream has even been released to show off what the platform is capable of.

Should you be interested, Google is currently looking for people to test its new platform and further makes note that "Project Stream is geared toward home internet connections capable of 25 megabits per second, and you must be 17 years or older and live in the U.S. to participate".

What do you think of Google's venture into the gaming world? Do you think that the future of gaming lies in streaming? Share your thoughts below!

:arrow: SOURCE

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I
Low-end hardware with high-end internet service is kind of a niche market, though.
It is not.
I have a crap laptop, with 100 Mb internet.
And the internet speed the bare minimum in my country.

kingfrost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really like streaming but have no problem with Google trying their hand at it. I wish them the best of luck and hope they do well with it.

They may be able to force things forward to where I won't mind streaming some games like RPGs and the like.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something like the rumored xbox scarlet tech with some local processing is the only chance of this ever taking off. Dealing with typical internet input lag is just a killer right now.

Wrathcaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How much are they raping you for 70Mb fiber? I get 100 down/10 up (non-fiber) for $60, which is approx €52. Before I moved back to my super small ass home town I was with a fiber company who offered these prices. I sure do miss them.

50 Mbps Up/Down $34.95 / month
100 Mbps Up/Down $44.95 / month
250 Mbps Up/Down $54.95 / month
1 Gbps Up/Down $69.95 / month
10 Gbps Up/Down $298.00 / month

And those prices already have tax/surcharges/fees included. I'm getting less than half the down speed and a fraction of up speed here then I did at my old place, but I pay more. It's so stupid. There should be more regulations on speeds & pricing. A person shouldn't have to worry about paying MORE for LESS speeds when they move or swtich isps.

$31 for the 70mb but we also need a phone line to use it which is another $14 ontop

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2: istg if lose another game of minesweeper