Project Stream by Google announced, allows video game streaming

project stream.PNG

Earlier this year there were rumors about a certain project codenamed Yeti by Google that aimed to be a video game streaming service. It seems like there were actually some truth behind those rumors as today Google announced Project Stream.

While still a test, the service does not seem to be restricted to video game streaming as the project is advertised as "a test of Google’s streaming technologies in the US". However to kickstart things, Google has opted for streaming a video game and has partnered with Ubisoft to test the streaming capabilities of Assassin’s Creed Odyssey.

"We’re inspired by the game creators who spend years crafting these amazing worlds, adventures and experiences, and we’re building technology that we hope will support and empower that creativity," says Product Manager Catherine Hsiao.

A video boasting a 1080p, 60 fps stream of Assassin’s Creed Odyssey from Project Stream has even been released to show off what the platform is capable of.

Should you be interested, Google is currently looking for people to test its new platform and further makes note that "Project Stream is geared toward home internet connections capable of 25 megabits per second, and you must be 17 years or older and live in the U.S. to participate".

What do you think of Google's venture into the gaming world? Do you think that the future of gaming lies in streaming? Share your thoughts below!

:arrow: SOURCE

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not a live streaming service, it's a game streaming service. Google streams a game to your PC over the internet for you to play. Like PS Now or GeForce Now
Well then. I dunno. :blink:

I tried geforce now on my shield tv, i played cuphead sometimes, it's playable but I mean still not impressed besides the fact I'm playing a pc game on android. Still, how popular is cloud gaming anyway? Is like renting games to play, as a rental service perhaps is nice to try a game you could potentially enjoy, then buy if you want to own permanently and avoid ones you don't want. Or even avoid buying a expensive pc if you comfortable subscribing to play games.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't see a lot of long-term appeal in streaming. You lose out on both resale value in the case of console physical copies, and modding/customizing in the case of PC digital copies. Having your own library of games is always going to be more satisfying than getting temporary access to someone else's library.

Reactions: KingVamp

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, no, pass. Can't keep or even download the game, leaving it at the whim of the company, so what's the point? Not to mention the internet infrastructure in the US is broke as hell.

Like it or not, this is where the industry is going.
Let's see what happends, and if Google can get the best of it. I wish some luck for them.

Just because something is mainstream doesn't mean it won't suck balls.

spiderman1216

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No, I like to have my games on my hard drives so publishers can't dictate to me when or where I can play my games. Games should be goods, not services.
Why can't they be both? Entertainment is evolving and expanding with different options I don't see why gaming can't be streaming, physical and digital downloads

Reactions: CallmeBerto
D

Deleted User

No, I like to have my games on my hard drives so publishers can't dictate to me when or where I can play my games. Games should be goods, not services.
That's the problem. A few notable AAA publishers are beginning to view games as services, and are designing them as such. I can kinda see where they're coming from for online-multiplayer-focused games such as shooters and MOBAs, but locking content for single player games behind an internet connection is troubling.

Granted, the service doesn't seem to have any exclusive single-player titles, and seems to require quite the internet speed in order to provide a decent experience, so it shouldn't pose too much of a threat for the time being.

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Why can't they be both? Entertainment is evolving and expanding with different options I don't see why gaming can't be streaming, physical and digital downloads
You are missing the point. A good can change. This is what car upgrades are. You can add a new radio, a sub, and new apps. None of this changes that you own the car and nobody can stop you from driving it. Streaming games is exactly the opposite. At any whim, whether failure of other's servers or internet failing, you can't play your game anymore. If they shut down, you can never play it again unless they are gracious enough to let you download it.

When streaming a game, you don't own it. This is key. This means that it can be taken away at any time for any reason.

Reactions: Deleted User

spiderman1216

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You are missing the point. A good can change. This is what car upgrades are. You can add a new radio, a sub, and new apps. None of this changes that you own the car and nobody can stop you from driving it. Streaming games is exactly the opposite. At any whim, whether failure of other's servers or internet failing, you can't play your game anymore. If they shut down, you can never play it again unless they are gracious enough to let you download it.

When streaming a game, you don't own it. This is key. This means that it can be taken away at any time for any reason.
I understand what game streaming entails I'm just saying it's not bad as an option especially for those with low end hardware

spiderman1216

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Tell that to people who live in the boonies, they're completely SOL. You can't even keep the games and can be taken away, lame AF.
That's why it will only be just an option if you want you can still buy hardware or games digitally those won't be taken away. This will just give people more options and I honestly have no problem with it as long as it doesn't become the only way to play

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That's why it will only be just an option if you want you can still buy hardware or games digitally those won't be taken away. This will just give people more options and I honestly have no problem with it as long as it doesn't become the only way to play
I normally don't go down slippery slopes, but with publishers peddling games as services, I think it is warranted this time. If this takes off, it will become the only way. First you will see optional, like you said, then you see exclusives, then total conversion.

Reactions: Xzi

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I normally don't go down slippery slopes, but with publishers peddling games as services, I think it is warranted this time. If this takes off, it will become the only way. First you will see optional, like you said, then you see exclusives, then total conversion.

No offense, but that's a rather dick move for businesses to pull, I'd just as soon start shamelessly pirating games just to piss them off.

spiderman1216

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I honestly doubt that it will be the only option to play while the majority of consumers if streaming becomes viable enough won't raise much of a fit, I don't most people will take streaming only too kindly. There are also decent revenue streams from digital purchases, and physical sales showing there is still demand for those things, but if streaming does take off I suspect it won't be the only option you will still be allowed to download the games you streamed assuming you have the requirements.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I worry about this too. Businesses only care about what saves them the most money. If they believe streaming can stop piracy and save them the cost of physical/digital distribution, I can see a lot of publishers jumping on this.

spiderman1216

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah I worry about this too. Businesses only care about what saves them the most money. If they believe streaming can stop piracy and save them the cost of physical/digital distribution, I can see a lot of publishers jumping on this.

I suspect physical digital distribution is going to die but digital distribution probably won't go away. If streaming can exist then digital distribution can as well there isn't really much cost in that. It's really just optimize the game for the platform that it's meant to run on then upload. This is going to be something that even streaming will have to do.

With streaming you have to develop the game, and optimize it for the source hardware, then build an infrastructure to provide streaming to the people.

With digital distribution you have to develop the game, optimize for a set of hardware, then upload the game to a platform so I can see the two co-existing.

Physical games however I can see going away

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1