Homebrew PS1 Emulator for 3DS

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello again, sir (:
The only Playstation emulator for 3DS as of right now is Retroarch's PCSX Reloaded. The link to the thread can be found here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/pcsx-rearmed-compatibility-list.489357/
However, barely any games run perfectly on it, and you need a New Nintendo 3DS to run it. Note that I am not saying that you need to go to the store and buy a brand-new 3DS, but you need a model that actually says 'New' on it. I don't know how complicated it is to install, but could probably take a look at something if you run into a problem (:

Reactions: zShad0w1998

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's only the previously mentioned PCSX ReArmed (not Reloaded, that's totally different), but it can run only the Final Fantasy games at playable speeds (not good speeds, just playable.) In addition, that horrible performance level is only seen on a new 3DS, old 3DS models are much worse. Besides, Retroarch for 3DS (which is required to play PCSX) is very unstable with overall poor performance in general. There are no other PS1 emulators for the 3DS because the console just isn't powerful enough.

If you want portable PS1 games, just get a hacked PSP. The PSP's hardware was built with PS1 compatibility in mind so many PS1 games run great on it. Afaik there's only 1 game that doesn't work on it (some digimon game, I forget what it's called).

zShad0w1998

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Hello again, sir (:
The only Playstation emulator for 3DS as of right now is Retroarch's PCSX Reloaded. The link to the thread can be found here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/pcsx-rearmed-compatibility-list.489357/
However, barely any games run perfectly on it, and you need a New Nintendo 3DS to run it. Note that I am not saying that you need to go to the store and buy a brand-new 3DS, but you need a model that actually says 'New' on it. I don't know how complicated it is to install, but could probably take a look at something if you run into a problem (:
Hello , I know what is a NEW 3DS console :))) Thanks for info!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

There's only the previously mentioned PCSX ReArmed (not Reloaded, that's totally different), but it can run only the Final Fantasy games at playable speeds (not good speeds, just playable.) In addition, that horrible performance level is only seen on a new 3DS, old 3DS models are much worse. Besides, Retroarch for 3DS (which is required to play PCSX) is very unstable with overall poor performance in general. There are no other PS1 emulators for the 3DS because the console just isn't powerful enough.

If you want portable PS1 games, just get a hacked PSP. The PSP's hardware was built with PS1 compatibility in mind so many PS1 games run great on it. Afaik there's only 1 game that doesn't work on it (some digimon game, I forget what it's called).
I already own a hacked PSP but If I am going to travel anywhere I want to take only 1 console not 2 and that s why I asked for an emulator :D Thanks !

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I believe a certain version of Retroarch is what you seek, however it has poor compatibility and not a good performance even on the New models, I'd love to be proven wrong tho.
Thank you for info!

n00bsaib0t

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

There are a handful of games that don't work and a few more with small issues. When I converted my library I had like 4 games that black screened on boot, others with graphical issues, and others that just had the same issues they have on a PS2 or PS3. Like Most of the DDR titles won't boot, WWF In Your House was a mess, and Mortal Kombat Trilogy crashes at the "buy in" screen (where you press start to continue like old fighters did) and after beating the game which it does on PS2 and PS3. But still, it's like 99% compatible.

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PCSX ReARMed on the 3DS is more a PoC, you say you have a CFW'd PSP @zShad0w1998 you'll find far better compatibility and performance + you'll have the added bonus of POPSLoader and CWCheat POPS, on the 3DS nothing plays 100% full speed without Issue or even Sound at near playable framerates.

RetroArch's PSX core on teh switch is far far better than whats on the 3DS.

AlterL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
well, and this maybe is just me. but you certainly can play some Ps1 games on the 3ds. I do so by removing music and videos using Pocketiso and then converting to pbp. personally I managed to run at decent speeds (granted not full speed):
Castlevania SOTN (most of the time over 40fps, drops as low as 32 and goes as high as 60 depending on stage and configuration, also be sure to have the right bios)
Marvel vs Capcom 32-40fps
pocket Fighter (similar enough to MVC)

All of this with sound on but without music. By the way I have an Old3DS and psxrearmed from retroarch 1.36 cia version problem is that such verisons of retroarch are difficult to find and I'm sure there must be a better one than the one I got right now, but the point still remains, if it can be played this good with an OLD3ds then I'm sure it will be better with the new. Last but not least, perhaps ps1 emulation was dropped to fast for the 3ds, I think the point wasn't just having a good emulator (which I'm sure could be improved) but also getting the right kind of roms to play.

Rj.MoG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Instead of “buying a psp” as people say on here. Look up the RG-350 that’s coming out next month. Or buy a used GPD XD. Best Buy also has a decent Motorola android phone for $30 right now that’s compatible with the Motorola controllers so that’s also a good option. But no one is ever going to make a PSX emulator on the 3DS. People have moved on to the switch at this point unfortunately.

JaguarAmazon

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
well, and this maybe is just me. but you certainly can play some Ps1 games on the 3ds. I do so by removing music and videos using Pocketiso and then converting to pbp. personally I managed to run at decent speeds (granted not full speed):
Castlevania SOTN (most of the time over 40fps, drops as low as 32 and goes as high as 60 depending on stage and configuration, also be sure to have the right bios)
Marvel vs Capcom 32-40fps
pocket Fighter (similar enough to MVC)

All of this with sound on but without music. By the way I have an Old3DS and psxrearmed from retroarch 1.36 cia version problem is that such verisons of retroarch are difficult to find and I'm sure there must be a better one than the one I got right now, but the point still remains, if it can be played this good with an OLD3ds then I'm sure it will be better with the new. Last but not least, perhaps ps1 emulation was dropped to fast for the 3ds, I think the point wasn't just having a good emulator (which I'm sure could be improved) but also getting the right kind of roms to play.

Hey, can u share the retroarch build u are using with us?

Im also with a O3DS and i just want to run few 2d games like sotn with decent performance, dont care about the 3d ones since O3DS is not strong enough to most of them

Thanks!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, can u share the retroarch build u are using and also that sotn file with us?

Im also with a O3DS and i just want to run few 2d games like sotn with decent performance, dont care about the 3d ones since O3DS is not strong enough to most of them

Thanks!
The game runs at ~25 FPS on my o3DSXL. Play this on computer or exchange your o3DS for a n(2/3)DS(XL).

Subzero100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know why people are saying barley any games run when just about every game i tried was 60fps, and only ape escape wasn't running perfect since its more of a open ended game.

Last edited by Subzero100,
Reactions: MKKhanzo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • BigOnYa
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BigOnYa, More than you touching deeze nuts.