PS1/2 PS2 77000 JPN which hack to use?

Nirmonculus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I have a ps2 but the lens is busted, is there a hack that I can use even with the disc reader not working anymore?
A guy said he can install modbo 3.0 on it instead. I am not entirely familiar with it. he will charge me about 20usd for the service including the chip.

I want to run games from an external hdd tho and not care about the disc reader anymore.
I do have my old memory card.

Any suggestions?

Nirmonculus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
That's a slim model isn't it?
The modchip would be virtually pointless without a working optical drive.
As far as hdd booting goes, a FMcB memory card would be your only best option.
I can get fmcb installed on my ps2 even without my optical drive?

The guy said he can install the modchip then install opl and run games from hdd.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can get fmcb installed on my ps2 even without my optical drive?

The guy said he can install the modchip then install opl and run games from hdd.
Really no need for a modchip to run opl - as long as you have FMcB, that gives you access to opl.
If you know anyone with FMcB already on a memory card it's really easy for them to install it for someone else to use... or you could just buy a memory card with FMcB already installed on ebay - they're usually only marginally more expensive than just buying a memory card.

Reactions: Nirmonculus

Nirmonculus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Really no need for a modchip to run opl - as long as you have FMcB, that gives you access to opl.
If you know anyone with FMcB already on a memory card it's really easy for them to install it for someone else to use... or you could just buy a memory card with FMcB already installed on ebay - they're usually only marginally more expensive than just buying a memory card.
Thanks, I will check online who sells these memory cards. I think I saw someone selling it for 10usd over here.
So after having that card I should be able to run opl and attach an external hdd?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Non-optical options for 75xxx and above are: USB (ignore it, worst performance which also has its impact on compatibility), SMB server (good performance, but the large size of the networking stack also reduces compatibility compared to a proper* internal HDD), or PS2NetBox (works great but it's a pirate product which only works on proprietary versions of the 3 major homebrews§ and they will not get any more updates)

Yes, FreeMCBoot allows you to run homebrew

* = you can't install a real HDD on any 75xxx or later console: "HD Pro" kits bundled with a chip, are not a proper HDD, and have poor compatibility and performance

§ = OPL, PopStarter, and SMS

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Now that they decided to add Tiger handheld and fruit machines.... Newer sets are worthless
    Because who doesn't want to emulate Halo LCD by Tiger when the machine needed to emulate it... Could just play Halo....
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Batocera has some tiger games
    I don't have them on mine Ken lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Waste of the 128kb they take
    +1
    Tiger handhelds are good for one thing.... Occupying space in a landfill
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They make good burning plastic
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Makes me wonder if the Pi5 can play PS2? If there's even a core for it yet.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pi5 should be able to do ps2
    Try Dragon Quest VIII it ran perfectly on a core 2 Duo I had
    Easiest game to run I found
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps2 emulation is cake compared to 3 years ago
    Hardest is probably Gran Turismo 4
    It's much better now yes but Gran Turismo 4 is still the hardest one to emulate that I have in my collection
    Runs perfectly fine but it's as if I can feel it always on the boarder line of dropping a frame lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I ordered a spin ball couple days ago to add to my arcade cabinet, will be nice for games like golden tee, or bowling
    I always wanted a controller for like Ikari Warriors, Time Soldiers, Heavy Barrel, Forgotten Worlds games like those
    +1
    Not even sure what to call that controller
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    an online friend I've known since 2021 left me :( bc my attitude is "cutty"
    Sylvester Stallone should have played Kyle Reese lol Arnold still as the Terminator
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    TF DOES "CUTTY" EVEN MEAN?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, he is peruvian so it's probably an idiom
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I thought Cutty was a west coast rapper
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Cutter
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Cutter