PS1/2 [PS2] Easiest way to copy/clone an FMCB Memory Card?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 20,341
  • Replies 6
D

Deleted User

OP
What ways are possible to do this? Could I simply copy from one memory card to another? Is there a Memory Card device to USB on PC?

I'd like to give a copy to my nephews since they scratch all of the discs they have (cause they don't turn off the console for it to stop spinning).

rs1n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FMCB is keyed to the memory card. A simple way to make multiple FMCB cards if you already own at least one is to simply download the FMCB installer onto a USB drive. Then use uLaunchELF (should have come with FMCB; if you do not have it on your browser menu, look for a file named BOOT.ELF on the memory card -- that's the default name of uLaunchELF). Inside uLaunchELF, run the browser, and navigate to the "mass" (USB) drive. Run the installer and make as many FMCB cards as you would like.

D

Deleted User

OP
FMCB is keyed to the memory card. A simple way to make multiple FMCB cards if you already own at least one is to simply download the FMCB installer onto a USB drive. Then use uLaunchELF (should have come with FMCB; if you do not have it on your browser menu, look for a file named BOOT.ELF on the memory card -- that's the default name of uLaunchELF). Inside uLaunchELF, run the browser, and navigate to the "mass" (USB) drive. Run the installer and make as many FMCB cards as you would like.
Oh wow. That's even easier then.

Thanks!

Reactions: Kopimist

mcinnocent

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
thx! That is the way to install FMBC on another mc if you already have 1 working mc. But how can I clone a complete mc? I bought at ebay a FMCB which contains several apps b.e. OPS, HD Loader, Code Break, USB advance, SNES station and so on....
Is there I way how I can completely clone this mc and if Yes how?

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
thx! That is the way to install FMBC on another mc if you already have 1 working mc. But how can I clone a complete mc? I bought at ebay a FMCB which contains several apps b.e. OPS, HD Loader, Code Break, USB advance, SNES station and so on....
Is there I way how I can completely clone this mc and if Yes how?
I'm not sure if there is an easy way to clone an FMCB memory card, but what I would do is to first make a new FMCB with the installer per rs1n's instructions, and then using uLaunchElf with both MCs inserted, navigate to the old MC and copy over whichever apps you want to the new MC. If you copy all the files and folders, all the apps will be available on the new FMCB card (note that save files will also be copied over if you have any on the memory card if you copy all the files)

thrashin

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Reviving this old thread - I am here to tell you you can absolutely "clone" a FMBC Memory Card. I use the after market 64GB ones and I have done the following;
  • Created an FMCB MC as per the standard method - using the installer from an USB.
  • I then spent HOURS setting up all my emulators and homebrew just how I wanted it. Homebrew running off the MC, and ROMS on the USB stick; PS1, PS2 and retro ROMS up the wazoo.
  • Once I had the MC exactly as I wanted it, I did a few methods, all of which worked:
    • Created a new FMCB MC as per the standard method, then copied (using LaunchELF for all copying) and overwrote the files from the fully loaded FMCB over the files on the new FMCB - it booted and worked exactly as the original.
    • I then Formatted a MC completely and just copied all files and folders from the fully loaded FMCB to the blank MC. That turned it into a fully working and booting FMCB - it booted and worked exactly as the original.
    • Finally, I copied all folders and files from the fully loaded FMCB CLONE I made to the USB drive as a backup - not an MC image, just simple files and folders. I then copied this back over an empty formatted MC, and it booted and worked exactly as the original.
And I tried these cloned FMCB MCs on 3 different slims and a fat, and they worked as expected. So it seems there's no black magic, no "keying to a console" no hidden sys files, just dumb file copies work just fine! :)

Last edited by thrashin,

Beans186

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Reviving this old thread - I am here to tell you you can absolutely "clone" a FMBC Memory Card. I use the after market 64GB ones and I have done the following;
  • Created an FMCB MC as per the standard method - using the installer from an USB.
  • I then spent HOURS setting up all my emulators and homebrew just how I wanted it. Homebrew running off the MC, and ROMS on the USB stick; PS1, PS2 and retro ROMS up the wazoo.
  • Once I had the MC exactly as I wanted it, I did a few methods, all of which worked:
    • Created a new FMCB MC as per the standard method, then copied (using LaunchELF for all copying) and overwrote the files from the fully loaded FMCB over the files on the new FMCB - it booted and worked exactly as the original.
    • I then Formatted a MC completely and just copied all files and folders from the fully loaded FMCB to the blank MC. That turned it into a fully working and booting FMCB - it booted and worked exactly as the original.
    • Finally, I copied all folders and files from the fully loaded FMCB CLONE I made to the USB drive as a backup - not an MC image, just simple files and folders. I then copied this back over an empty formatted MC, and it booted and worked exactly as the original.
And I tried these cloned FMCB MCs on 3 different slims and a fat, and they worked as expected. So it seems there's no black magic, no "keying to a console" no hidden sys files, just dumb file copies work just fine! :)
What format does the card need to be in, can it be done from a pc?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: After watching, that I feel like I'm on them already