PS2 MX4SIO Controller unresponsive

Puppydogpals

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I usually have fmcb in memory card slot 2.

If I have MX4SIO in memory card slot 1 my controller won't work, is MX4SIO taking too much power from the bus?

I take it the PS2 is similar to the PS1 and the port and memory card slot share the same data and power lines??

Is it normal for the controller not work in the same location as the MX4SIO

This happens on 3 of my phats I have tried, or I have a dodgy MX4SIO

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Fien

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have a PS2 Slim with a MX4SIO in slot 2 (and a FBMC in slot 1) and the console works fine with 2 controllers connected.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Couldn't say what's going on, but I use a brooks adapter with a dual sense, and I've never had any problem with it. I think my mx2sio, which is what I'm using, is in slot2. I had to use some gaffer tape to prevent the microsd card from falling into the unit, but otherwise, everything works fine.

sunras

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
True story, mine is logitech cordless dzl cx/gx 2d and it fails when under mx4sio on my slim console, my sd card adapter is called bitfunx
Post automatically merged:

Just tried another wireless by thrustmaster resulting the same issue

Last edited by sunras,

Fien

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I must come back to this thread.

In April 2023 I replied here that my PS2 Slim (SCPH-77004) does work with two controllers when the MX4SIO is used. But today the same console doesn't do that anymore. The controller port where the MX4SIO is inserted, stops working immediately and returns back to working if I remove the MX4SIO.

The console isn't used much between April 2023 and now. The only thing changed to it is the Modbo 5.0 modchip I installed into it on July 2023.

Now I tested my other PS2 consoles:
- Phat SCPH-50004 without modchip (has FHDB) works fine with two controllers and MX4SIO.
- Phat SCPH-39004 with a strange modchip (not installed by me) (has FHDB) works fine with two controllers and MX4SIO.
- Phat SCPH-39004 with Modbo 5.0 modchip (has FBMC) does not work with two controllers and MX4SIO.
- Slim SCPH-77004 with Modbo 5.0 modchip (has FBMC) does not work with two controllers and MX4SIO.

The SCPH-77004 did worked in the back, but now it doesn't. I don't know if it has something to do with the modchip, but it's really too much wires to just desoldering it for testing. Disabling the chip in software (start-button) doesn't change anything.

I also think it's not a power problem? Because when staying in OSDSYS the controller stops working when I plugin the MX4SIO, but the red LED still turns on and off when pressing the "analog" button.

I have two Bitfunx MX4SIO's and they have the same behavior.

Both controllers used are original Sony Dualshock 2 controllers.
Post automatically merged:

It seems like it has something to do with the HDD which has FHDB and HDD-OSD installed. Two controllers with MX4SIO only works with the HDD installed.

- If I remove the HDD from the SCPH-39004 which doesn't have this problem, the problem will be introduced. Booting with a FMCB memory card doesn't change it.

- If I move the HDD to the SCPH-39004 which does have this problem, the problem will go away.

Also, I see there's a difference in the flashing pattern of the access LED on the MX4SIO when staying in OSDSYS. If it's booted without HDD, the LED is flashing slower. If booted with HDD, the LED flashed so fast that it looks nearly solid.

Another thing I see is that if booted with HDD, both controllers are working with the MX4SIO inserted, but the repeating rate of a pressed button is lowered as soon as the MX4SIO is inserted, on the controller slot below the MX4SIO. I tested it by holding the down-button on the controller and then insert the MX4SIO.

What happened to the slim which never had a HDD... I don't know...

The MX4SIO access LED booted without HDD (staying in OSDSYS):

The same access LED, booted with HDD (staying in OSDSYS):

The repeat rate lowered when MX4SIO is inserted, booted with HDD of course:

Last edited by Fien,
Reactions: Ripto

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/35kbiqjnJog?si=1DEa1SDRiLUd3Bxi