Hardware PS2 slim lag

Akmotogamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys I’ve got a PS2 slim SN:FU2903363 Model number SCPH-75001

Im trying to play Guitar Hero 2 on and its super laggy during boot up and once I get in game the guitar audio is not in sync with the notes Im playing, in fact its a couple nots behind throughout the entire song. Sometimes it even stops mid-song but will still register input on the fret buttons and light up correspondingly on the screen. This console consistently gives me the disc not read error code but I get around that by applying light pressure to the top of the disc while it first tries to read it. It plays other games just fine although it does sometimes freeze momentarily but only on guitar hero 2 is the audio not in sync. Any thoughts on what it might be?

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sounds like your DVD drive is on it's last leg. Easiest way to ensure it's JUST that, and not a CPU issue as well (due to lagging from possibly overheating) would be to use FreeMCBoot and play a game ISO via USB or better if you can, SMB. Then you will know if you only alleviate the crashing and slow loading (DVD drive) or the lagging behind as well (CPU overheating). I'm guessing it won't be a CPU overheat issue as well since it's a music / rhythm game the lagging can just as easily be the DVD not maintaining the required read speed.

almmiron

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi guys I’ve got a PS2 slim SN:FU2903363 Model number SCPH-75001

Im trying to play Guitar Hero 2 on and its super laggy during boot up and once I get in game the guitar audio is not in sync with the notes Im playing, in fact its a couple nots behind throughout the entire song. Sometimes it even stops mid-song but will still register input on the fret buttons and light up correspondingly on the screen. This console consistently gives me the disc not read error code but I get around that by applying light pressure to the top of the disc while it first tries to read it. It plays other games just fine although it does sometimes freeze momentarily but only on guitar hero 2 is the audio not in sync. Any thoughts on what it might be?
For rhythm games, i always use crt. Not everyone has one, but it has way less lag.

About the disc, or dvd dying, you can replace it with chinese ones, or you cantry opl with mx4sio and abandon disc for good.

Reactions: Akmotogamer

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds great, I appreciate the help, So i can just buy a mcboot memory card off amazon and download a game onto a usb stick and try to play a game that way to tell me if the dvd drive is bad?
you can. just know that all ps2's have USB 1.1, so FMVs will always lag via USB and it's possible if that if a FMV is playing during the game you test then lag would be 100% normal. If you have any other game you KNOW has issues as well you could test instead that would be more definative than a music game - but, yes. you can play a game that way to see if DVD drive is bad.
The USB drive must be setup correctly for OPL on a FreeMCboot card to read it, but it's worth the 5-10min of reading to learn how and do it. The only other way to really test is say screw-it and spend the $30+ for a new DVD now and hope that worked.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Since this is a PS2 Slim you have better options besides USB - OPL will allow you to load via Ethernet (using an SMB Share) or via the Memory Card slot from SD (using an MC2SIO adapter). Both methods do not suffer from the FMV lag issue as those ports are faster than USB 1.1. You just have to make sure that your Slim is compatible, later Slims can be troublesome. What’s your console’s model number?

Reactions: Kopimist

Akmotogamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since this is a PS2 Slim you have better options besides USB - OPL will allow you to load via Ethernet (using an SMB Share) or via the Memory Card slot from SD (using an MC2SIO adapter). Both methods do not suffer from the FMV lag issue as those ports are faster than USB 1.1. You just have to make sure that your Slim is compatible, later Slims can be troublesome. What’s your console’s model number?

It’s a MN: SCPH-75001

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It’s a MN: SCPH-75001
In that case you should be all good for any of those methods. Setting up an SMB Share folder on your network is easy and free, an SD adapter is more convenient, and will only set you back 20 bucks (although you can build an adapter yourself if you have the know-how) - pick your poison, either one will work great. The absolute extreme method would be to re-attach an IDE connection to the motherboard, but that’s only possible on very early Slim models and requires excellent soldering skills, so we’ll dismiss that and focus on what’s easy-peasy. Your first order of business is to get your hands on a FMCB memory card, either by making one yourself or by purchasing one online - they’re all over the place. Loading using either of those methods will not only allow you to preserve your laser assembly, it’s also often times faster, and doesn’t require you to juggle discs like it’s nineteen ninety late - save your disc drive for the few games that are incompatible with alternative loading methods.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I need shrooms to read his comments