Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
gamefreak94 said:
unitggchamp said:
sony has nullified the ps3 exploit rather efficiently and swiftly without making a major scene.
i lol'd
well it was a major scene but not a major scene where they announced it on the news and put it on tv.

wow gamefreak i didn't even see that in the main post, i just skimmed it. that's pretty funny.

yah, i guess suing everything in site and getting the devices banned in almost every country that matters isn't making a scene.
rolleyes.gif

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the only reason why it was know was because the scene found out and publicized it
getting court documents, list of people being sued, ect... and putting it on their sites

all the stuff happened behind closed doors though

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
joe88 said:
the only reason why it was know was because the scene found out and publicized it
getting court documents, list of people being sued, ect... and putting it on their sites

all the stuff happened behind closed doors though

people were bound to figure out eventually once the shops started going down and their jailbreak devices didn't show up in the mail.

UnitGGChamp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
curious to see if these keys found is true,i would be shocked and if it is in fact true 3.41 playstations are going to go for a pretty penny.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
personally i see two sides of the whole 'dead' thing

if you're on the 'wherez my free gamez' side then yes, the 'scene' as you think of it is probably dead at this point. you'll simply have the pre 3.42 era and the post 3.42 era to think about.

but if you're like me, then this is probably the most exciting time for 'the scene'. i don't care for games and all that other junk. to be able to delve into the inner depths of the hardware and firmware and finally see what makes the ps3 tick is very very exciting. every day we're seeing new things coming out and having lower and deeper understanding of what is going on inside the ps3.

the death of the scene has been greatly exaggerated.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rydian said:
kayot said:
i'd like the sort of stuff i got with my psp cfw. pspstate and cwcheat. and let's not forget, game categories!

it's like having the backup filemanage right in the menu. any one who has a hacked psp knows what i'm talking about. i have 4 categories, psp games, ps1 games, emulators, utilities!

trust me, cfw is where the fun is at.
oh yeah, plugin ability, forgot the ps3 most likely doesn't have that right now.
and completely disable ofw and only allow cfw updates?

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
dead is an over exaggeration. stagnation is a better word for it.

what sony really needs is a couple of big hitting games to entice people to update their firmware.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
with not being able to run the latest games, people will get bored of it. it will become more niche, and people like hermes will come back.

nerds and n00bs don't mix well. a usb hack is just too irresistible to n00bs.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Obviously it's the people who printed his name on the crappy product. You're asking yourself with the wrong level of emphasis.

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
i knew that the whole PS3 scene wont go anywhere

heck how long has it been and still no major development in homebrew
The main reason there is little homebrew is that there is hardly any access to an SDK. You can be assured that there is people out there working on that. They has been a few things though. (Admittedly, most of them have been "backup" launchers.
In someways, it would be better if sony hadn't removed OtherOS and geohot's exploit had been used more, allowing the PS3 scene to grow before being infested with n00bs using their phones got involved. And, if you turn your mind back to before PSjailbreak, there were 2 teams getting together to hack the bluray drive. They got a fair way and I doubt that they have abandoned their work. Piracy will like on. Hopefully one pirate or jailbreaker or average user will find a way to corrupt the firmware without requiring a jailbreak so we can downgrade, or CFW

taktularCBo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
xist said:
Obviously it's the people who printed his name on the crappy product. You're asking yourself with the wrong level of emphasis.

For me this is a childish reaction. People use Geohots name (their is actually a Ipod Ripoff in China with his Name) too and other real hackers might be faced with same problems. If you leave a Scene because of such useless things, it just shows that you don't have honor. You might tell me now, that the guys making the rip off don't have honor either, thats true, but they just want to make money, thats how the world of cheap chinese products work, but this can't be a real reason to leave a scene.

Never mind, we have other great Guys working on this Product.

Yuan

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
taktularCBo said:
xist said:

For me this is a childish reaction. People use Geohots name (their is actually a Ipod Ripoff in China with his Name) too and other real hackers might be faced with same problems. If you leave a Scene because of such useless things, it just shows that you don't have honor. You might tell me now, that the guys making the rip off don't have honor either, thats true, but they just want to make money, thats how the world of cheap chinese products work, but this can't be a real reason to leave a scene.

I don't think it is childish, they make profit from his free software and not enough, stole his nickname as well to use it to make more profit.

Anyway Waninkoko (and I think any other hacker who spends time on these apps) thinks the same:

twitter
If someday something like this happens to me, I will leave the PS3 scene immediately. Do no doubt it. 7:31 AM Oct 16th via Twitter for iPad

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
UnitGGChamp said:
taken from another post and before i paste i just want to say with jailbreak you can get a large amount of games..but 75% of them suck and all the new hot games are releasing with the update..

QUOTE said:
it seems like those expecting a custom firmware to hack the ps3 can give up now as sony has pretty much nullified the psjailbreak exploit. even though people like to call it a ps3 hack it was in essence a glitch.

i call it a glitch because “hackers” didn’t circumvent the core ps3 security measures which geohot was working on before he gave up. these alleged hackers pretty much took a jig key, probably from someone that works in technical support for sony in china, and used it to create the psjailbreak.

tech support centers use this special jig key to turn any ps3 sent in for repair to enter what’s called a debug mode. once in debug mode the ps3 can playback unsigned code. as you can see all of hooks have been put in place by sony for unsigned code to be played on the ps3 deliberately for troubleshooting.

the only thing that is even close to a hack is the fact that the psjailbreak’s version of the jig key is deployed via a heap overflow using the usb ports. this isn’t all that impressive as overloading the system with a usb (switch on/off) is an old trick. it just happens that these hackers had a legitimate jig key to inject as the payload.

over the course of two months sony quietly combated the exploit in two ways – from a legal and technical standpoint. sony was able to get the psjailbreak banned in pretty much most of the major countries preventing sales of the exploit in mass quantities.

as reported by digital foundry, sony released firmware 3.42 which pretty much nullified the ability to run unsigned code on the ps3, including the psjailbreak. in firmware 3.50, sony introduced a usb “white list” which pretty much blocked out any non-storage based usb devices, including the modified psjailbreak usb drive.

also, new games such as medal of honor are using a new encryption that can only be decrypted with a new key unknown to the public. basically, even the ps3 doesn’t have the key to unlock the game unless you have firmware 3.50.

in order to really hack the ps3 like the psp, hackers must get through the hypervisor, which is the lowest level of security on the hardware. believe it or not the hypervisor security layer runs on the ppe (core processor) and uses one the reserved spe (spu). this spe is isolated in a way so that even the main core ppe can’t even access it.

the single spe uses the hardware root key to decrypt the encryption code while being tied to a random id generator. this is probably one of the most complex security systems ever invented utilizing one of the cell spus to handle decryption in isolation mode.

sony has nullified the ps3 exploit rather efficiently and swiftly without making a major scene. it almost seems like sony had a contingency handbook for this exact scenario. i suppose, the engineers at sony figured this many happen eventually as the human element is always an unknown factor.

edit from original comment

update:hermes left the scene
Fixed.

taktularCBo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yuan said:
taktularCBo said:
xist said:

I don't think it is childish, they make profit from his free software and not enough, stole his nickname as well to use it to make more profit.

Anyway Waninkoko (and I think any other hacker who spends time on these apps) thinks the same:

twitter
If someday something like this happens to me, I will leave the PS3 scene immediately. Do no doubt it. 7:31 AM Oct 16th via Twitter for iPad

No real Man today, just pussies *lol

Gosh those stuff happened to me all the time before, when I was working on P2P clients.
I "cracked" Software so that no f*cking spyware was included(Grokster+,kplusplus), some b*tches made a website under my name and even with spyware on it.
Later Grokster even bought the domain I reserved for k++ (kplusplus.tk) for free..yea, this was noobish, but I was like 15.
I cracked with two other guys Altnet and the FastTrack Network, Kceasy and some guys on sourceforge and Zeropaid.com got the credit for it, thats life man.
Later even they said it was my fault, that the Industry could check so easy IPs on Kazaa and others.

Before I forget, I also revers engined (alone) Manalito (www.blubster.com) after Pablo (the creator) f*cked me up with his only MP3 policy and selling the Code only to Companies for over 20.000 Dollar. I posted this on Zeropaid with Sourcecode, but noon was interested to use it. Today their is a little Project Called OpenLito, without any credit to me. *lol

who cares, good people work for fun on it, not for credit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la