• Likes 16

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS4 was called Playstation Orbis for a long time,
and rumors said it wouldn't be called PS4 because of japanese culture in relation to number 4.

Orbis was just a code name used during development. Companies give their products code names all the time as a way of maintaining secrecy. They have no bearing on the final name of the product.

Reactions: chris888222

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't know, I thought the giant display screen that said "Coming Holiday 2013" was pretty obvious.

Sorry, I didn't watch the conference, my mistake.

Orbis was just a code name used during development. Companies give their products code names all the time as a way of maintaining secrecy. They have no bearing on the final name of the product.

There was a rumour that it would not be called PS4 because of japanese culture.
This rumor also said it would be named Orbis, same as developers kit.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The rumor made little sense to begin with and has obviously been confirmed to have been completely, utterly wrong. So... your point is?

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry, I didn't watch the conference, my mistake.

A lot of things about death and everything related to Japanese beliefs have been released though.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not going do a whole explanation of why this whole thing is just wrong because even tho you spiting out this doom and gloom nonsense mentality, you should at least already partially know why. How can you judge the console when ,one ,nothing seriously has been built from the groud up for it and ,two, when hater comments that sounds similar to yours is always wrong?

Seriously guys why do you defend Nintendo so? Nintendo promised a gamers console and instead have produced another fun orientated family and kids machine and an expensive one at that. I'm disappointed as hell.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The rumor made little sense to begin with and has obviously been confirmed to have been completely, utterly wrong. So... your point is?

If you saw my previous posts you would know.
I was only correcting a dude that said 4 is death in asian language.

Seriously guys why do you defend Nintendo so? Nintendo promised a gamers console and instead have produced another fun orientated family and kids machine and an expensive one at that. I'm disappointed as hell.

I hope WiiU fail so hard that Nintendo stops this casual gamer's console shit.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you saw my previous posts you would know.
I was only correcting a dude that said 4 is death in asian language.

If that's what you were arguing, you went off the rails quite a few posts ago.

Not to mention that you're wrong, anyway - it's not just Japan that is superstitious about the number 4. It's shared across several different Asian cultures. Take, for example, China.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If that's what you were arguing, you went off the rails quite a few posts ago.

Not to mention that you're wrong, anyway - it's not just Japan that is superstitious about the number 4. It's shared across several different Asian cultures. Take, for example, China.

Slowpoke is slow.
Chris already said that.
You didn't read my posts at all.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slowpoke is slow.
Chris already said that.
You didn't read my posts at all.

You said he was wrong (saying that its a continent and all of its nations are different), then started arguing for rumors that have been known to be false for quite awhile now.

Maybe I'm something, sure, but if you're trying to get something else across, you're not being very clear.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You said he was wrong (saying that its a continent and all of its nations are different), then started arguing for rumors that have been known to be false for quite awhile now.

Maybe I'm something, sure, but if you're trying to get something else across, you're not being very clear.

Let's makes this clear, what I was saying is:
There is no asian language, asia is a continent.
There are different languages and cultures,
and although some share the superstition about the number 4,
the rumour about Sony not using PS4 name was stricktly because of japanese superstition to number 4,
and not related with any other asian cultures and beliefs

Is it clear enough now?

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maintaining secrecy from what I've seen isn't normally the reason. In the software company I work for, a lot of us are working on a pretty big project, and it has an internal name. However, that's just because no final name has been decided yet by the higher ups, not because of secrecy. Secrets are maintained through your contracts as they always are.

That makes a lot of sense, though I think it's fair to say secrecy can play a large role for companies on the tier of Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, etc. If there are any leaks, they can still maintain some deniability, and it throws people off the scent.

I know movie studios do similar things (like naming Return of the Jedi "Blue Harvest" for the duration of production), but I'm probably just talking out of my ass at this point, though.

Let's makes this clear, what I was saying is:
There is no asian language, asia is a continent.
There are different languages and cultures,
and although some share the superstition about the number 4,
the rumour about Sony not using PS4 name was stricktly because of japanese superstition to number 4,
and not related with any other asian cultures and beliefs

Is it clear enough now?

So you're trying to argue the specifics of a rumor that stunk of bullshit from the get-go? Alrighty then...

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So you're trying to argue the specifics of a rumor that stunk of bullshit from the get-go? Alrighty then...

No, that's basically a resume of what I already said in these many posts.

trumpet-205 said that he was shocked that they named it PS4, since in "asian language" it's closely to death.
I said that asia is a continent and, and there is no "asian language", since there are many asian languages,
this is the only thing I was trying to show trumpet-205.

Then Chris888222, said that many asian languages have this same superstition about number 4.
Which had nothing to do with what I originaly said.

Then I was trying to make things clear, but it turned even more confusing.

Chris888222 misunderstood what I was saying again and said that sony never avoided the name PS4

Then I said that the rumour, which was brought trough the table by trumpet-205,
said Sony would not name it's next-gen console PS4, strickly because of japanese supestition.

Some misundertanding here and there and when thinks were starting to become more clear,
you came with more misunderstanding.
The rest you know.
That's basically what happened.
I think I need to be more clear on my posts :D

Scuba156

Trophies
XP
Country
That makes a lot of sense, though I think it's fair to say secrecy can play a large role for companies on the tier of Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, etc. If there are any leaks, they can still maintain some deniability, and it throws people off the scent.

I know movie studios do similar things (like naming Return of the Jedi "Blue Harvest" for the duration of production), but I'm probably just talking out of my ass at this point, though.
Secrecy is part of the reason, but orbis and Durango would be the internal names for the chipsets used inside the consoles, not the actual console itself. Much like xenon was the internal name for the Xbox 360's chipset, which went on into later revisions (even after the console had released and had an actual public name) such as jasper and trinity.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe because you have this never satisfied, superiority complex, and heavy hypocritical biased, maybe even dumb, mindset?

I hope WiiU fail so hard that Nintendo stops this casual gamer's console shit.
One, not going to happen and two are you serious or trolling?Casual?

Because of games? Most of the games have been mutiplates you cried about.

Power? You already seen a some of it. Just have to wait for the games that will use it to come out.

Waiting time? Because other companies don't have them?

Price? Because it's never too high for most people,right?

Innovation/adding new things?
Do you see what the other companies are doing?
Color?

Really, you only seen a little a bit about the ps4 and you already about to make it your next girl/boyfriend.

Seriously tho, you want it to "fail so hard" for basically no reason, other then they aren't Sony.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Maybe because you have this never satisfied and heavy hypocritical biased, maybe even dumb, mindset?
One, not going to happen and two are you serious or trolling?
Casual?
What do you think is the purpose of WiiU gamepad?
New gameplay method? No, it's main objective is attract casual gamers

Maybe because you have this never satisfied and heavy hypocritical biased, maybe even dumb, mindset?
Because of games? Most of the games have been mutiplates you cry about.
Power? You already seen a some of it. Just have to wait for the games that will use it to come out.

Multiplats of last generation.
WiiU hardly will be able to keep having the same multiplats PS4 and next-gen Xbox will have.
35297313.jpg

Waiting time? Because other companies don't have them?

Innovation/adding new things?Do you see what the other companies are doing?
Color?

What are you talking about?

Price? Because it's never to high for most people,right?

Price will drop with time, do you remember PS3 launch?
Just be patient, and eventuly you'll be able to buy it.

Really, you only seen a little a bit about the ps4 and you already about to make it your next girl/boyfriend.
Seriously tho, you want it to "fail so hard" for basically no reason, other then they aren't Sony.

WTF dude, did I say anything about Sony?
I didn't offend you, why are you taking this so personaly?
By the way, I will choose the most powerful console, Sony, MS or even Steambox, I don't know, just time will tell.

I want to have a decent quantity of third party games, and Wii was so underpowered that it almost didn't have third party games.
WiiU seems to be like Wii. It probably will have amazing first party games(just imagine SMG3 in HD), but it will lack third party support for being underpowered.

Selling underpowered console with gimmicks for casual gamers is working for Nintendo,
and until it fails, Nintendo will keep with this strategy,
that's why I hope it fails

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you think is the purpose of WiiU gamepad?New gameplay method? No, it's main objective is attract casual gamers

Just like the ps4 and Vita other controls, right?

Multiplats of last generation.WiiU hardly will be able to keep having the same multiplats PS4 and next-gen Xbox will have.

On what bases? You do know the power gab isn't that huge like the wii to ps3,right?

Price will drop with time, do you remember PS3 launch?Just be patient, and eventuly you'll be able to buy it.

How long did that take?How much money did Sony lost? Do you think most of the people who bought the ps3 at launch are the same situation money wise? Do you think they pay a such a high price when it's getting to PC gaming range? Got something against affordable new consoles now?

WTF dude, did I say anything about Sony?Look at the title of the thread...I didn't offend you, why are you taking this so personaly?Well, one part I was joking. In other words, I'm not. I just find it funny how blindly biased you are.

By the way, I will choose the most powerful console, Sony, MS or even Steambox, I don't know, just time will tell. Then get a PC if you want power so much.

I want to have a decent quantity of third party games, and Wii was so underpowered that it almost didn't have most of the mutiplat games.

Despite belief, the wii did have it's niche 3rd party games similar to no more heroes.

WiiU seems to be like Wii.

Except it isn't.

It probably will have amazing first party games(just imagine SMG3 in HD), but it will lack third party support for being underpowered.

Under powered as in like the ps2?

Selling underpowered console with gimmicks for casual gamers is working for Nintendo,and until it fails, Nintendo will keep with this strategy,that's why I hope it fails
Based on what you are saying, not only is Sony doing the same thing, they should fail with their console too.

-fix'd

leic7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's extremely unfair to whoever's chosen - essentially, they're being shoved onstage not because of their particular talent, drive, or accomplishments; instead, they're just defined by their genitalia because of some arbitrary quota. The intention may be nice, sure, but the message such it sends is a huge slap in the face.

Plus, putting writers/marketers/etc. onstage for tech demos? Yeah, that's going to be pretty obvious. Even with producers/designers/etc., you're putting people without serious training or experience in public speaking in front of millions. That doesn't sound like a great plan. Hell, even the presenters with experience were often awkward and shifting. You can't quite just throw someone on stage and expect magic to happen.

As I said before, the games industry is heavily weighted towards males. According to Forbes, at least 88% of its employers are male - and I guarantee you that ratio only gets more and more skewed as you go up the corporate ladder. Sony probably wanted to use big, respectable names (or, at least, higher-ups from big, respectable developers) to lend credibility to the product they were selling. The sad fact is, you're more likely to find Waldo in a random crowd than a woman who fits that categorization.

I'm glad people are noticing this, but to lay the blame at Sony's feet (especially when they've been using scholarships to encourage women to enter the industry for years now) is to miss the bigger picture. It's not a Sony problem, it's an industry problem, and it's not a problem that will be remedied until we begin addressing it as such.
Please don't strawman. I wasn't saying they should put a woman there just because of her gender, I was saying they should have a woman there because of her talent, drive, accomplishments, etc. AND her gender. I don't know whether you're trying to tell me that it's *impossible* to find one such person from all those companies...or? My assumption is that it was possible to find at least one, but Sony didn't make the effort to do it for this particular event they're hosting. If Microsoft host a similar event for their xbox, and they can have at least one female team member for the presentation because they're willing to go the extra mile in order to find one, I'd lay the blame squarely at Sony's feet.

I don't blame Sony for the 'industry problem', like I said, everyone just sort of ended up there 'by default'. The point I think you're missing is this is a PR issue. Judging from their intro, Sony did want to attract a wider audience. It's a PR oversight to not go the extra mile at this PR event; if they had, they would've done a better job. But I'm optimistic that they'll learn something from this and be more mindful about their image for future events.

Yeah Microsoft, Nintendo, or anyone else who has a conference has almost never had a female game developer.

EDIT: And they're not gonna pull out the secretary at Sony HQ just for token female diversity. Why weren't there any black people at the show? Where were the Native Americans? Sony is now racist too!
...are you responding to what I said?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto