Hardware Ps4 controller gets Hot wont charge

Oshae93

Laying Down The Law
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Posted this topic on r/consolerepair and r/PS4 and no replys so far, so hoping for some temp luck

Ok so i have two controllers that have 2 different issues. 1 is a major issue the other is minor.

Major Issue Controller:

So i have this white ps4 controller that came with the destiny bundle when it first came out. Earlier in this year it wouldnt hold a charge at all and i believe i ruined the charging port by using a samsung fast charger. The controller also gets really hot mainly around a little metal square ,that has H• on it,that sits under the battery tray. Eventually the controller stopped holding a charge. Fast forward to now when i decided to buy a new battery and charging port for it. Now when i installed both of those things the controller does cut on . The H• symbol doesnt seem hot but the bottom of the controller near the headphone jack seems a little warm. Anyway i tested the controller when the back cover was off and everything seemed normal. But as soon as i snap the controller shell close, the controller dies. I cannot turn it back on unless i leave a little crack in the shell.

Edit: Also bought a new ribbon cable to connect the charging port to.

Edit 2: Left the back off of the white controller and left it charging for 30 mins. Came back and it wasnt charging and the same H • symbol is hot. Maybe the controller has a temperature sensor or something that shuts the controller off to prevent further damage, but the problem seems to be the H• overheating.

Edit 3: Pic of the H • http://imgur.com/a/PMpPv

Minor Issue Controller: This controller was a blue one i bought a few months after owning the system. Currently i have a problem with my R2 trigger not registering pressure being put on it. The R2 button works but the sensitivity is way off( pic below). I have replaced the trigger,spring, and conductive rubber grommet and the problem still exist. Could the circuit board film on the R2 trigger be the problem? I've turned the controller on while it was open and loaded up the game i was having a problem with, One Piece Burning Blood , and i pushed the rubber grommet down onto the circuit board film myself and with a good amount of pressure it worked. If i push the trigger down itself though, it doesnt work. ( R2 is used to swap to a character in that game)

Edit: Pic Link http://imgur.com/a/U1Svy Triggers are fully pressed and R2 doesnt reach max value.

Can anyone provide any wisdom?

Also :

Saw a guy on youtube that had a similar problem but he fixed his by soldering something inside the touchpad. I may buy a replament touchpad and see if that fixes it.

Oshae93

Laying Down The Law
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alot views but no luck on getting help. Guess i'll just return the parts i bought and get a new controller

elm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would go to my local Wal-Mart, Best-Buy, Target buy another white controller, come home replace the old one with the original packaging and receipt and return it as being damaged and not working. They will refund your money, I do it all the time. I bought a blue Wiimote when I first got my Wii (years ago) and just recently it died, so I bought a new one at Best-Buy and returned the broken one.

Last edited by elm,

Oshae93

Laying Down The Law
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would go to my local Wal-Mart, Best-Buy, Target buy another white controller, come home replace the old one with the original packaging and receipt and return it as being damaged and not working. They will refund your money, I do it all the time. I bought a blue Wiimote when I first got my Wii (years ago) and just recently it died, so I bought a new one at Best-Buy and returned the broken one.
lmfao scamming ass. I have a best buy gift card with 40$ so i have that option, but your idea isnt bad for the struggle days

Reactions: elm

DSpider

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
...i believe i ruined the charging port by using a samsung fast charger.

Dumbass. You're not supposed to use any other chargers. Jesus Christ, no one told you this? "Fast charger". YEEAH. No issue with that there.

If it gets hot, there's a VERY high chance it will explode. Not even kidding about this. Have you ever seen a Lithium-Ion battery explode? Pray that you don't. It's a fucking bomb that can take down airplanes, sink freigh ships that are transporting them (and this is consumer-grade stuff, too), burn down cars that had them in glove compartments, houses, etc.

The second controller with the minor issue should have been taken into warranty, instead of opening it up. They would've most likely replaced it on the spot. But now that you opened it... say goodbye to the warranty.

Edit: Aaaaaaand I just realised this thread is from May 2017. Still, the above still applies. Don't ever use other charging methods than the ones supplied by the manufacturer (well, unless you know how to take electrical measurings using dedicated equipment and you know that it matches 100% with the original charging method. But even then, it won't hold up in court if it burns down your house or anything like that).

Last edited by DSpider,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.