PSA: SONY PS3 OTHER OS CLASS ACTION SETTLEMENTS CHECKS ARE IN THE MAIL, CHECK YOUR MAILBOX!

weatMod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have just received my checks from the Sony other OS class action lawsuit yesterday , you may want to check your mailbox carefully if you have ever submitted a claim.
I almost tossed these in the trash , they do not come in a standard envelope and could very easily be mistaken for junk mail so if you have submitted a claim then i suggest you check your mail carefully because the checks are just now going out.
Can you just imagine how utterly disappointed you would be if you found out that you had inadvertently tossed out a check for this substantial sum !

other-OS-check.jpg

Last edited by weatMod,

weatMod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wooo! Just enough to buy a $3.00 PSN card, chicken, and toilet paper!

I guess it's better than waiting for Rick and Morty season 4?
I got 2 tho so just enough to pay for SXOS , i mean if i didn't already have the pro
so that is something i guess

Last edited by weatMod,

weatMod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lmao 10 dollars
IKR , they said "up to $60" so i guess this is what they mean by "up to "$60"
but they were accepting claims for like 10 years or something so i guess a lot of people ended up submitting claims , and probably lots of fraudulent claims were submitted as well ,so that probably watered down the settlement checks

Reactions: H1B1Esquire

CORE

3:16
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Lol I thought the lawsuit against the PS3 Other OS fell through and dead and buried long ago , ah well atleast you got the Full Price and value of the Console when you bought it even if it is like 1% of the price you payed for the Console.

Just keep an eye out every now and then for the other cheques *JOKE*

Reactions: weatMod

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They remove otherOS and you get 10 bucks, you pirate some software, and they want MILLIONS.
If they did the equivalent for piracy of what they did here, it would be suing each individual person for $60 each or whatever. Instead, they sue the distributor for the full, unsplit value. Whether they should've given each individual more is a separate question, but let's not pretend that this is in any way comparable to running a piracy service that is used by millions. Unless you're referring to a case where someone was sued for that much for downloading individual copies of games? That would be more comparable and would render my point moot.

CORE

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Geohot Exploit for PS3 so Sony removed the ability to install an additional 2nd Operating System .OtherOS as way of fixing exploit and peeps sued because feature removed they only getting Cheques now lol That The Short Version.

CORE

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I ran Yellow Dog Linux and could even Print etc it really was like a Computer the way they done with PS2 back in the day to avoid tax or something Sony I mean. No need for it really other than .... bad cough.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Someone wants to inform the non educated people (LIKE ME) what this is about? :blink:
Sony, when inventing the PS3 Slim, decided to remove dual-boot support (you could repartition the HDD to allocate some space to a custom, sandboxed OS like Linux or BSDs) - and that's fine

Later, in update 3.18 or 3.20 (released at the start of April too), they retroactively removed that feature from Fats (which is a flagrant violation of truthful advertising standards, and of the European legal warranty too: the product is unusable, due to the fault of someone upstream from the buyer, for one of its intended purposes; while the update is theoretically optional, if you don't update you still have a console unable to go on PSN, another advertised feature)

Worth noting that the update followed claims made by Geohot of having found a hole in the hypervisor/sandbox, and obtained higher-level hardware access in Linux; and this same feature removal is widely believed to have started interest of the non-piracy teams, like f0f and Geohot, in hacking the official PS3 mode (which resulted in PSP and PS2, the models out at the time at least, becoming pwned4life due to Sony having their private keys in PS3 mode emulators for them!!)

In Europe, the solution is easy - return to the seller for their choice of: a[n impossible] "repair", a replacement, or a refund (yes, they get shafted first, then they get to argue with Sony themselves)

In the USA, where there's no such law (and the stereotype is that they have to write "do not stop chainsaw with your hands or genitals" to avoid someone suing and winning for that reason)... a class action was done, only recently (couple of years?) it actually went through, and nowadays affected Americans are seeing the fruits of their mostly symbolical victory against a media multinational...

CORE

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
3.50 or 3.55 was the last Firmware to support the OtherOS well atleast my NTSC Phat 60GB with PS2 Support could F***ing YLOD I could not keep it Cool no matter what Fans I had going x4 Mini at front via USB Nyko Intercooler with x4 Mini Fans at back an 80mm Fan exhaust at top and the Main Fan was at 100% still Temps climbed I f***ed up Delidding the Chips in the end cause all those Fans unbearable and I wanted to see if adding a clean thermal layer directly on the Processors then Heat Plates would help I already had MX4 on the Plates.:nayps3:

Last edited by CORE,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: See I'm a good match maker I always knew he wouldnt leave over luke +1