PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
Why are people not allowed to dislike gateway if they don't like gateway?
People are allowed to dislike whatever they want, but many people who dislike Gateway have become a cancer of hate, derailing any and every thread related to Gateway, spouting half truths to the point it's clear they have no idea what they're talking about, just to advocate CFW.

Meanwhile peaceful (at least they seem that way by comparison) Gateway users get all the benefits of CFW and the few perks Gateway has over CFW.

Naderino

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I couldn't agree more with that statement.

I can enjoy on the fly RAM hacking while playing my 3DS Roms and switch over to play SNES and GBA VC titles on CFW at will. ;)

This is probably the best set-up.

Not to argue with anyone but, everything has it's particular things. CFW can do things that GW can't do, and GW can do what CFW can't do.
Having Gateway with a CFW setup, you can have the best of both worlds.

Rinnux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay look. This thread has already made it to page 21. I'm sure that by now every point has been covered, every opinion rehashed at least 3 times, and every possible argument made for and against gateway. So can we please just let this thread die? I hate seeing threads just spin in an endless loop of shitposting and taking up space on the first page.

Ironknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well, Gateway cant unbrick your 3DS. If your 3DS is bricked, gateway cant boot. Gateway can only restore your NAND, if its functional. A9LH however, boots BEFORE the system, and therefore protecting you from bricks. Gateway was good back then, sure, but nowadays its just obsolete and shit, compared to other things. We have 100% bootrate, without A9LH, by using menuhax with the lesshax payload, signature patched, region changed CFW on emuNAND, sysNAND true coldboot CFW with A9LH and so on. Gateway is not shit, just shit compared to the other stuff we got.

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, Gateway cant unbrick your 3DS. If your 3DS is bricked, gateway cant boot. Gateway can only restore your NAND, if its functional. A9LH however, boots BEFORE the system, and therefore protecting you from bricks.
I don't think I quite understand what you mean by this. A9LH boots before your bricked NAND. From here, you can use Decrypt9 or another program to reinstall a NAND backup. This is what 'brick protection' means. By that logic, since Gateway's menu has a NAND restore function, can you not do the exact same? A9LH is A9LH, no matter how you slice it. So if it's Gateway's implementation, it definitely still boots before the bricked NAND. The only flaw is that Gateway doesn't tell the end user to make NAND backups, so there's a chance they won't have one.
We have 100% bootrate, without A9LH, by using menuhax with the lesshax payload, signature patched, region changed CFW on emuNAND, sysNAND true coldboot CFW with A9LH and so on. Gateway is not shit, just shit compared to the other stuff we got.
Here you've just listed a bunch of arbitrary features that are synonymous between Gateway and CFW??? The only difference here would be that one is free and open source while the other isn't??

Ironknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I don't think I quite understand what you mean by this. A9LH boots before your bricked NAND. From here, you can use Decrypt9 or another program to reinstall a NAND backup. This is what 'brick protection' means. By that logic, since Gateway's menu has a NAND restore function, can you not do the exact same? A9LH is A9LH, no matter how you slice it. So if it's Gateway's implementation, it definitely still boots before the bricked NAND. The only flaw is that Gateway doesn't tell the end user to make NAND backups, so there's a chance they won't have one.

Here you've just listed a bunch of arbitrary features that are synonymous between Gateway and CFW??? The only difference here would be that one is free and open source while the other isn't??
In the OP it said the regular gateway can unbrick your NAND, not that gateways A9LH fork can do that. Also, yes, the hax are better than gateway, because they are free. They also dont brick you for using gateway clones. And if you want to get rid of regular A9LH, you just remove it. But gateway is married to your 3DS. Not that gateway is shit, its just worse than everything else. And the problem is not that they make forks of popular features, the problem is that they say they INVENTED it, and that its revolutionary and so on. The Apple of the 3DS. Overpriced. Arrogant. And gives you the same shit other developers give you for free, but for money, and then praising themself to oblivion.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
In the OP it said the regular gateway can unbrick your NAND, not that gateways A9LH fork can do that. Also, yes, the hax are better than gateway, because they are free. They also dont brick you for using gateway clones. And if you want to get rid of regular A9LH, you just remove it. But gateway is married to your 3DS. Not that gateway is shit, its just worse than everything else. And the problem is not that they make forks of popular features, the problem is that they say they INVENTED it, and that its revolutionary and so on. The Apple of the 3DS. Overpriced. Arrogant. And gives you the same shit other developers give you for free, but for money, and then praising themself to oblivion.
its already been established, if you restore a pre-a9lh backup then the GW a9lh is removed, also all the current a9lh dont come from the "inventor" it was discovered and revealed in 32c3 after which public implementations were developed, so we have a public version and a GW version neither of which come from the people who found the exploit itself, and afaik GW has never claimed to have discovered a9lh they simply made their own implementation of a publicly disclosed vulnerability and gave it a name more noob friendly name which caused a stick so they clarified and said also known as a9lh, there was no "oh wow look what we found" and they even acknowledged the public methods and made a .bin file for people who didnt want to use the GW solution

kamesenin888

Trophies
XP
Country
Removing a9lh applies from v2 on, with v1 and a9lh gateway you can always restore a nand backup, and you can only unbrick with a9lh or a hard mod, cfw with menuhax and gateway with menuhax, none of them can unbrick unless you have a hard mod

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You read the OP?!?! Or did you just skim it.
Taken from the OP.
something else i wanted to bring up was their a9lh implementation in the first place. something we seem to forget is that gateway has had nand tools for like, ever. if you brick, you could restore your nand, so it's basically the same as everyone's glorified brick protection, right? and no, your console is never really 'married to gateway' even if you lose your cart, you can just restore a backup. people have been doing that for free since 2014. with this section I'd also like to stress that no, you really shouldn't use gateway's a9lh implementation, it really is unstable right now. wait for a full release. and right now, there are way better alternatives, since gateway has made available their arm9loaderhax.bin.

and also
They also dont brick you for using gateway clones.
Gateway doesn't distribute the bricks??? Honestly, the flashard company that cloned GW is the one who bricked people, not Gateway themselves. :)

Last edited by CreAtor135,

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Gateway doesn't distribute the bricks??? Honestly, the flashard company that cloned GW is the one who bricked people, not Gateway themselves. :)

Launcher.dat is the one that has the brick code MADE by GW Team, not GW clones. Then GW Team is who is bricking users consoles.

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Launcher.dat is the one that has the brick code MADE by GW Team, not GW clones. Then GW Team is who is bricking users consoles.
Gateway's launcher.dat is bricking clones, yes, but they aren't giving it to people who use clones, are they? The clone company is the one distributing the launcher.dat to its users. They are responsible.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Nope, Gateway's launcher.dat is bricking users consoles, not the clones.
Afaik, the brick code was made by GW Team, not by the clones. Brickway is responsible of those brick because they MADE that malicious code.
Kinda late to the party though, that's was back in good ol' 2013 still people banging on about it XD

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Yeah, we are at 2016 nowdays and the brickcode is still there and GW Team says nothing nor apologize for bricking users consoles.
i would say replacing/repairing the few consoles affected is as good as an apology to legit users, i havent seen a single user who was actually bricked by the brick code still going on about something from 3 years ago

again sure use it as an example of how evil gateway corp are, but people are acting like there is new bricks every day with every version of the launcher is stupid, even at the time it was like 5 gw users

Last edited by gamesquest1,
Reactions: cvskid

Ironknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You read the OP?!?! Or did you just skim it.
Taken from the OP.

and also

Yes it was gateway, they purposely added malicious code in their software, that bricked your NAND when not used with an original gateway card. They rewrote the fucking NAND header, so you couldnt restore via hardmod!
i would say replacing/repairing the few consoles affected is as good as an apology to legit users, i havent seen a single user who was actually bricked by the brick code still going on about something from 3 years ago

again sure use it as an example of how evil gateway corp are, but people are acting like there is new bricks every day with every version of the launcher is stupid, even at the time it was like 5 gw users
But it destroys the trust. If they did it once, what stops them from doing it again?

Reactions: Billy Acuña

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Let alone Zelda Ocarina of Time
    Those are 10 out of 10 games
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Links sex Change of Time
    I have like 1500 games on my Pi right now and they are all really great games (A few versions of Rayman) but for legit 10 out 10 hmmm Probably like 100ish?
    Also like 4700 Arcade games but that whole collection is a train wreck lol
    I have a Beats of Rage game I love.... Bad Ass Babes lol
    Strippers stopping an alien invasion with super powers and it's a blast to play
    +1
    That is a 10 out 10 game I can't lie, if the subject matter was appropriate I could legit see it being a hit game on multiple consoles.
    It plays that good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Link gets a hard awakening
    +1
    Links Wankening?
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, i have my tv stick's sd card on my pc right now, gonna add some games I couldnt download from there
    +1
    "Zelda quick grab my master sword!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Link calls the doctor
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Isn't it an actual disorder for someone to sleep too much
    If anyone wants to find that Bad Ass Babes it's on The Internet Archive lol
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, the controllers that come with it are somewhat bad but atleast I have like other 2 controllers that work
    Ken I think so, I forget the name but there is that condition where people will fall asleep in the middle of a sentence.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The cure is meth
    +1
    Not far from the truth Ken lol
    I think the medication for is is actually what meth is made from, or a form of it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Germans were ahead of their time
    That's the one lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: That's the one lol