Hacking (PSA) Stop the Gatehate

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, Gateway's launcher.dat is bricking users consoles, not the clones.
Afaik, the brick code was made by GW Team, not by the clones. Brickway is responsible of those brick because they MADE that malicious code.
I don't think you understand what I'm getting at here. SuperCard DSTWO+ distributes Gateway's launcher.dat file to its users. Suprcard gives their own users brickcode. Gateway put brick code in their launcher, but they never gave it to clone card users. The company manufacturing the clone give it to its users.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yes it was gateway, they purposely added malicious code in their software, that bricked your NAND when not used with an original gateway card. They rewrote the fucking NAND header, so you couldnt restore via hardmod!

But it destroys the trust. If they did it once, what stops them from doing it again?
Let me give you a little example. Say a parent(GW) has a disease, and the child(DSTWO+) catches it from the parent. The child then infects everyone at their school. Who infected everyone, the parent, or the child?

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I don't think you understand what I'm getting at here. SuperCard DSTWO+ distributes Gateway's launcher.dat file to its users. Suprcard gives their own users brickcode. Gateway put brick code in their launcher, but they never gave it to clone card users. The company manufacturing the clone give it to its users.

Let me give you a little example. Say a parent(GW) has a disease, and the child(DSTWO+) catches it from the parent. The child then infects everyone at their school. Who infected everyone, the parent, or the child?
Who made the brick code that bricks the users consoles? SC or GW Team?
Just answer the question!

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Yes it was gateway, they purposely added malicious code in their software, that bricked your NAND when not used with an original gateway card. They rewrote the fucking NAND header, so you couldnt restore via hardmod!

But it destroys the trust. If they did it once, what stops them from doing it again?
they actually locked the nand, it was possible to fix via hardmod with a raspberry pi or arduino even without a nand backup, but tbh at this point its mostly irrelevant

as to what stops them doing it again...well nothing, but i would like for people to at least stop using fear mongering like urrrghhhh everyone bricks using GW, it been over 2 years since the bug that caused legit GW users to get bricked,again sure call them evil bastards for adding brick code, and even highlight the possiblity it could have a bug again, but the whole "woooooooowwww everyone bricks if they use GW is a bit silly" last time any GW users bricked was pretty much getting on for 3 years ago, clone users is a different issue, as a clone team its your responsibility to check out the competition of who your cloning, it would have took the supercard team 2 minutes to google "gateway 3DS" and see the article about GW using brick code against clone teams

Verack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since everyone is incessantly complaining and fighting, I thought I may as well give my two cents on the matter of Gateway:

I personally own one, and have owned it since back in the days of 4.5 being the golden firmware. Heck, I remember patiently sitting on 1.0 firmware due to the videos of Crown 3DS (that bulky thing with the motherboard dangling out of your console) being revealed. I bought one figuring that it was a sound investment at the time, and it's done exactly as advertised. The way I see it, I paid $50 to be able to play back ups ages before even the most basic of CFW's came along. On the discussion of Gateway bricking your device, let's not forget how early CFW's were a buggy mess, highly incompatible with a lot of games, and could often lead to a nasty brick.

Would I recommend buying a Gateway now? Most likely not. CFW's do everything you need them to do, so Gateway is largely obsolete. Despite this, Gateway has continued to support the card under no real obligation (unlike the various clones which outright died off). The cheat menu is also quite handy and easy to use, and I haven't seen a CFW offer anything of the sort yet (aside from NTR, which seemingly ruins the ability to play out-of-region DLC with your games, at least for me). I'm also an archive nutcase and play far too many games for my own good, so being able to keep .3DS backups on my PC and quickly swap them (versus installing and uninstalling a .CIA) is much faster for me.

Again, that's just my opinion. You can say the card is garbage or whatever, but I'll be happily playing my games on it over here. Heck, I've had the thing for years, and I've yet to ever have issues like a brick or be banned from online.

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
i would say replacing/repairing the few consoles affected is as good as an apology to legit users, i havent seen a single user who was actually bricked by the brick code still going on about something from 3 years ago

again sure use it as an example of how evil gateway corp are, but people are acting like there is new bricks every day with every version of the launcher is stupid, even at the time it was like 5 gw users
They said nothing to the public in response of the brick code.
I understand that they have the rights to stop clones stealing "their" work (which is not theirs at all) but, Why bricking USERS CONSOLES instead simply block the GW mode to the clones?
If they can trigger the clones to brick the console they can trigger them just to block them. It doesn't matter if this is a topic from 2013 or whatever year, we need to still demanding this malisious strategy from GW Team as they remove that brickcode and give a public apologize.

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
I understand that they have the rights to stop clones stealing "their" work (which is not theirs at all) but, Why bricking USERS CONSOLES instead simply block the GW mode to the clones?
If they can trigger the clones to brick the console they can trigger them just to block them. It doesn't matter if this is a topic from 2013 or whatever year, we need to still demanding this malisious strategy from GW Team as they remove that brickcode and give a public apologize.
Nothing says "stop using clones" like the clones bricking dozens of consoles.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
but the only people who seem to care are not gateway users.....so should GW apologize to people who have never had any interest and never will have any interest in owning a GW card?

as for strategy sure its a crappy move, but they had already tried the usual save corruption, and boot failure methods first, but when there is no fear of actual loss of property clone users didnt give 2 craps about buying a clone even if it took the clone teams 15 revision to bypass the anti-clone methods, once the fear of bricking was added support for the clones died almost immediately afterwards, sure it was a devilish move, but it worked to a degree, the only issue was the bug in the diagnostics test that led to genuine users being bricked too

anyways, im sure this will never end, there will always be people not affected by *something* wanting to complain about said *something*

Last edited by gamesquest1,

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In 2013, they replaced people's consoles from genuine GW bricks, and today, there's even a DISCLAIMER, in the very post that contains the launcher.dat with the first introduction of brick code. I think that warrants a public response.

kamesenin888

Trophies
XP
Country
At that time it was their work completely, even now it's their work just that they implement it to the free method we have now, Ike they said, gw tried blocking the cloners, but even on their page they warned people no stop using the clones, if the cloners ignore the warning and still gave the launcher that could brick users is their own fault, it wasn't without a warning to people and the cloners

windwakemeupinside

Resident Gost
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I hate to chime in here but. I don't see why people are so mad about this either way. Yeah, intentional brick codes are fucking shite and I'm not about to give money to Gateway on that principal alone, but I'm not going to go to the forum of people who do use it and enjoy it to metaphorically shit in their cereal.

Like, I'm too lazy for that shit, and if they are having fun who gives a flying rat turd?

Ironknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

If the father (GW) is a terrorist, and the son (supercard) steals their backpack with a bomb in it, without knowledge of the bomb and blows up at school, ist it the fathers or the sons fault?

Reactions: spacelaser

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
If the father (GW) is a terrorist, and the son (supercard) steals their backpack with a bomb in it, without knowledge of the bomb and blows up at school, ist it the fathers or the sons fault?
Well,now it's the fault of the person who bought it,why the hell you buying something not from the original source?

it's like you are buying 3DS but not from Nintendo,why you think it's a good idea?

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well,now it's the fault of the person who bought it,why the hell you buying something not from the original source?

it's like you are buying 3DS but not from Nintendo,why you think it's a good idea?
Good idea because of getting it cheaper when it's still made by Nintendo

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Did SC ever state on their site that the software was made by gateway and not them? If they didn't I don't see how you can assume users knew it wasn't their software.

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
In this case, the father specifically warned everyone that the backpack is not safe with the son, only the father. And people didn't listen.

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
In this case, the father specifically warned everyone that the backpack is not safe with the son, only the father. And people didn't listen.

This is a terrible example for multiple reasons.

A bomb is a bomb. He should be calling the police, not 'telling people it's dangerous'.

Oh wait.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: