Hardware PSP Go not charging but connecting

nodnyl10

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys, I have another problem (as usual) with my PSP Go.

I somehow can't charge my PSP Go anymore for some reason. I tried many different chargers, I even use the same charger as the PS Vita (I use the PSP Go's wire of course). It doesn't charge at all when it's turned off.

So I thought to myself I should try charging it via USB to Computer / Laptop. The funny thing is, I am able to connect the PSP Go into my computer at ease. Just 1 try and plug it and it reads very quickly. Now according to some threads and other sites I've researched, the PSP Go should charge while in USB Mode as long as the USB Charge is turned on.

I have it turned on and as I am typing this now, my PSP Go is currently plugged into my computer. However, the PSP Go's battery indicator at the top right corner doesn't seem to be moving at all. Shouldn't it be moving like charging 1,2,3 bars while being plugged in?

Please help guys, I just had some new games in it and I haven't finished them all. :(

nodnyl10

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I plan to buy a new charger (I really don't have another cable so buying a new charger might help). I really don't know how to replace the battery, it's screwed tight at the back I think. :(

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Is your PSP modded? If that's the case, be sure to go to the Recovery Menu and double-check that USB charging is in fact on - it might be overwriting the system settings. If it is, you can enter USB mode directly from the recovery menu.

nodnyl10

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, sir. My PSP Go is modded, CFW Version 6.20 Pro B10 I believe. I checked the USB charging both in Recovery Menu and in System Settings in the PSP. They are both on. It's really weird, I can easily connect (and put games) in my PSP to the Computer but it's not charging, What happened to my PSP? T.T

nodnyl10

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't have another one. I should probably buy a new USB Cable for the PSP Go (or completely a new charger). I am able to charge my PSP Go normally before, but as some time passes (perhaps several days or few weeks), I am having a hard time charging my PSP Go that I have to put it into any position as long as I can see the orange light at the side indicating that it is charging (using the wall charger). But now, I can't anymore. So I tried the USB Charging at least but it's still not doing anything.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You could do what I did in this situation and make a make-shift charger cable until you get something better. Cut the cable from the charger, leave about 5-10 cm leaway and strip the end so that you have a plug and two wires. Next, find a charger with the same voltage as the PSP's or a USB plug and twist wires accordingly/connect the wires to the plug with tape. It's not a good solution, but it works until you can get a working charger.

nodnyl10

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I turned off my PSP Go for now.. Apparently, the USB charging isn't working at all and now it's currently Empty Bar (I can still turn it on though). I'll try and get a new charger once I found one for sale near the game store in my area.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could also be an issue with your battery. The Go series is notorious for having a slew of battery problems. I will say though that I had mine for a good long while, more than two years as a refurbished model (traded it in to get a PSP 2000 and a 64GB memstick :P ), and the only thing that ever creeped up as far as the battery was concerned was the system not giving correct charge info in the settings (or through plugins like Dayviewer). But that's a common issue with the PSPgo anyway.

Reactions: StrayGuitarist

nodnyl10

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Is replacing the battery going to be a headache for me? Because from my previous research, the PSP Go's battery is at the back (duh) but the back casing of the PSP Go is screwed, unlike the older models. And what type of battery is it? Am I.. screwed?

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is replacing the battery going to be a headache for me? Because from my previous research, the PSP Go's battery is at the back (duh) but the back casing of the PSP Go is screwed, unlike the older models. And what type of battery is it? Am I.. screwed?

I've opened my old PSPgo rather easily on several occasions to do things like clean the buttons and such, get the dust and grime out of it. They're reasonably easy to get open, especially with the help of a YouTube video or a guide with plenty of good image documentation. However, if I remember correctly I believe the Go batteries are integrated-ish with the PCB. After all the trouble Sony had with people doing Pandora hacks on the batteries from older systems they decided to make one that wasn't intended to be removable. Now, if I remember correctly, I THINK the battery is connected to the board via a set of wires that have a coupling where they meet the board. However, I could be wrong, as it's been some time since I messed with a PSPgo's internals and I never had to fiddle with the battery on mine. Even if it's not made to uncouple from the PCB you may be able to unsolder the connection and solder a replacement battery in it's place.

This is all regarding a dead/dying battery though. I think the best step in a case like this would be to determine IF the battery is still good, instead of just outright replacing it. As for testing it, I would have no clue where to start, but maybe someone else might.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
to be honest, this could as well be a hardware issue around the connecting port of the psp than as issue with the cable.
i dont think the battery is the culprit here though. it still powered the console until it ran out, if the battery was still receiving a charge but just not be able to take it for whatever reason, the whole thing would've probably exploded or at least smoked out on him already.
but its not getting the charge anymore. so something before the battery is the problem.
between the plug and the battery, any number of things could be broken and the most strain in this case could be on the cable , where a wire carrying the charge could have broken
have you tried twisting and bending the wire? check if the charge led lights up while systematically bending the wire in different places. if a wire has broken, this could, at least shortly, form a connection again and tell you that the wire is at fault.

next, the connection port could have something wrong with it. theres always a chance of connectors just not connecting anymore. they might have worn down over time or bent somewhere. or it could have broken somewhere on the inside. whenever you push the charger into the psp, you put strain on the whole construct. and just like the usb ports on a cheap pc or the scart port on a cheap tv, it might have given in, get lose and stop working.

if it ends up not being the cable, you'll probably have to get used to the idea of getting a new psp.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good point. It could be anything between the battery and the wall itself as well. Hopefully it's just your cable. I have a spare one from my old Go I'd be willing to donate for the sake of testing, but I dunno if you'd want to shell out for shipping to the Philippines :P . Possibly cheaper (and faster) to just order one somewhere. In the end, if it can't be figured out, shelve the thing and pick up a 2000 or 3000 model on the cheap and grab an MSDUO microSD adapter. You can get insane amounts of storage that way. Having had a Go for a while and then switching to my 2000 and a 64GB memstick, I am left wondering how I convinced myself to go with a Go in the first place.

nodnyl10

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I really appreciate the help from everyone. Right now, I don't wanna cause anymore trouble than I already am to anyone here with the PSP Go stuffs. Hopefully, and really really hopefully the problem is in my wire (which I am having a hard time believing myself to be the wire itself because I can connect my PSP Go to the laptop / computer at ease). Once I buy a new charger (I really need a new one anyway), I'll be able to update you guys. Thank you and wish me the best of luck.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really appreciate the help from everyone. Right now, I don't wanna cause anymore trouble than I already am to anyone here with the PSP Go stuffs. Hopefully, and really really hopefully the problem is in my wire (which I am having a hard time believing myself to be the wire itself because I can connect my PSP Go to the laptop / computer at ease). Once I buy a new charger (I really need a new one anyway), I'll be able to update you guys. Thank you and wish me the best of luck.

Aye, good luck :)

nodnyl10

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok so I bought a new charger (with a new wire and stuff).. And there's still no charging or stuff. My PSP Go is not charging at all. I formatted my system storage, I restore everything to default settings, still nothing. What's going on? Someone help me, please :(

JoZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I bought a new charger (with a new wire and stuff).. And there's still no charging or stuff. My PSP Go is not charging at all. I formatted my system storage, I restore everything to default settings, still nothing. What's going on? Someone help me, please :(

I know it's super late but were you able to solve the issue?
I'm having the exact same issue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo