Hacking [PSP] La Pucelle Ragnarok Translation

Shrunken Pixel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The Japanese is garbled because the font file I used as the basis for this fix was the one included with the toolkit. That font sheet has all the alphanumeric characters we need, but the Japanese characters are all missing. There's a second font-sheet in the game that contains nothing but Japanese characters, which is why some still appear.

This should not affect the toolkit; the full Japanese text should still be properly visible in the script files that contain Japanese for the purposes of being able to actually translate the text, but it won't appear in the game itself properly. If anyone testing this release finds garbled text-boxes, or text-boxes with nothing in them, it's not a bug just another bit of translation that still needs to be done :)

Reactions: Linka

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It should go a bit faster now that I have been adding new features into the toolkit to help check for text spilling over the textboxes. I can fit 24 chars on every line in the textbox. I have a new window in the toolkit that counts how many chars are in each line so I can edit it without having to play through the game. Mostly I have just typos to find and also the annoying "black talking to yourself" textboxes which are hard coded in script02.dat.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello :P

I tested your patch 0.1.1 and can confirm it works on 5.00 M33-6

I've created a patch to apply on the full ISO instead of each files, the patch is only 1.58MB
To do that, I ordered the files the same way than the original ISO by realigning each LBA manually.
you can see the patch and both LBA files here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/abubcgtm7gcsi76/La_Pucelle_Ragnarok_patch_0.1.1.zip
I'm sure it could be even less MB if you set the LBA at minimum intervals for each files.

Issue1: The first scene (when the characters are presenting themselves) there wasn't any english text but garbaged. is that normal; not translated yet?
Edit: ok, it's not a problem on my side then, thanks.

Issue 2:
It seems the character's names are using French words (La Pucelle, Allouette, Culotte, etc.) which is common with NipponIchi games.
I think Prier should be written Prière, which means Prayer. (unless she was named Prier on PS2?)
Do you need review on French words spelling, or do you prefer using official PS2 names?

Edit:
Issue 3:
this one is a very small problem (don't worry):
When a message is too big to fit a single message window and you press O to see the rest of the text, the Audio Dub for the current message stops playing.
Yeah, it's not a big problem and can be addressed later, or even left like this ;)

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyan,

The first is a stupid issue since I forgot to include the translated file in the latest patch. I will fix it in the next release.

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyan

As to issue 2, that was how the names were spelled in the PS2 game. La Pucelle is, overall, a brutalization of the French language-- heck, I think even their manual that came with the game also had some pretty bad French, either in Japan or America.

Prier actually had the most trouble, because in games outside of La Pucelle, she is named Priere! Just without the accents. So at the least, as far as NISA is aware, non-accented names are the canon ones.

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All,

Issue 1:
Will be fixed next patch. My stupid oversight

Issue 2:
I am more than willing to change Prier to Priere if that is what this community wants in the translation. I debated myself when I first started translating and chose Prier since that was in the PS2 version. It will be a pain since her name is in everything and has to be hexedited everywhere but now is the time to do it.

Prière will be more difficult since SHift-Jis and ASCII does not support the letter è. We could pick a random letter not in the game but in ASCII that we are not using and change it to è but I prefer not too. I would prefer Prier or Priere.

What spelling does everyone prefer?

Issue 3:
This is going to be a difficult one to fix. The bug happens because I spanned the english text over two or more textboxes whereas the japanese only requires one. When you press the circle button, it always stops the voice track. The fix is going to require some major hacking to get around this and I am not sure it is worth my time and effort. If someone else wants to take it up I will merge the fix into the patch.

As far as patch v0.1.1, it is going to take a little longer than I thought. I have not had much time to play through the game and this game actually requires some grinding. Those "stupid" bears in chapter 2 really like to gang up and kill me. (I enjoy the difficulty and that I cannot just breeze though the game like most other RPGS nowadays)

Anyways let me know what everyone prefers for the spelling of "Prier".

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I don't mind either way, the Prier/Priere thing never bothered me. But Priere would be more authentic, and consistent to the following games (and to NISA's translations, since La Pucelle Tactics was done by Mastiff instead), I guess I would say.

As a recommendation as to grinding, for the record, check out the first stage and do that a few times, especially to cast spells/skills (extremely necessary if you want to take down the whale monster in another point in the game, cause you need to get Braveheart through having enough of the purple element on a character (gotten through equips), and level it up a couple times). Sometimes, a level 13 monster will spawn in there, and they'll result in some pretty heavy EXP gain if you know what you're doing. A level 13 bat and skeleton is definitely no big challenge to overcome.

Also: You can have player characters kill player characters without penalty, but you need to use spells/skills to do it. But never have characters kill your monster buddies, cause pretty much if you go into Monster Training after that, they'll almost certainly run away.

Shrunken Pixel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
As far as patch v0.1.1, it is going to take a little longer than I thought. I have not had much time to play through the game and this game actually requires some grinding. Those "stupid" bears in chapter 2 really like to gang up and kill me. (I enjoy the difficulty and that I cannot just breeze though the game like most other RPGS nowadays)

You will have to replay some sections quite often, so taking the slow grindy path is only going to delay the progress of the patch and cause you to lose your enthusiasm for the project. A little "cheat" assistance might be vital here.

Depending on whether you're mainly testing on PSP or emulator, I recommend either CWCheat or ArtMoney. Boosting the stats of any character should be incredibly easy, allowing you to breeze through battles and push the story along.

I'm not sure whether the values you'd need to change are static or dynamic (in other words, whether they'd have to be searched for each time), but the process is pretty quick and easy, and even changing just one (for example HP) should make the process significantly faster and easier. I used ArtMoney to help me find how bits of text are stored in the game, and to test various theories concerning the font and other things, the usefulness of this tool cannot be overstated.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Prier is what was used officially, so if it's too long to fix the name to Priere (without accent, like used in other NIS games), you can keep it Prier.
I just reported it as it's more natural to read French words and it looks better to me, but I'm sure it won't bother players whom French isn't their native language.

Don't worry about issue 3, I understand what the problem is and that it will be hard to fix.

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shrunken Pixel,

I dont actually mind the grind. I love playing rpgs. I am saving the save file at the beginning of every chapter and also near the end so that I can easily go back and fix and verify the change works. Its a nice break from all the translating. I am working on this game because I love the game.

Reactions: Linka

Shrunken Pixel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Shrunken Pixel,

I dont actually mind the grind. I love playing rpgs. I am saving the save file at the beginning of every chapter and also near the end so that I can easily go back and fix and verify the change works. Its a nice break from all the translating. I am working on this game because I love the game.

I understand.

I'm just a little concerned. This game is incredibly long if you plan to go through and translate/test everything perhaps multiple times. I love playing these games myself and regularly find myself with save files in excess of 2-3 hundred hours - but I couldn't have done that without the occasional month or two doing something else or I'd have gone crazy.

Taking on a project such as this does have the tendency to suck the fun out of things you previously loved, just keep in mind my suggestion above if you start to notice the onset of weariness :)

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have made it all the way through Chapter 2. 99% of the text is good in the dialogue. I really screwed up the text in the black window story mode. I need to redo it and also missed a couple spots as well. Should be fun since it can only be edited by a hexeditor. I found some youtube videos of the a walkthrough of the english version so getting the text for these black window story mode should be easier than try to extract it from the hex in the PS2 version.

Reactions: crozz07 and Airu

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was looking through the script file for Chapter 1 and realized I missed a big chunk of text that goes into the black textboxes for the Good Ending. I am not going to release the next patch until I fix both script files. Everything else is ready for the next patch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: