quad core i5 taking 77W TDP?

Chaosruler

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I don't want to really copy paste it because we are not all chinease, however by this two pictures we get the hint
6ivbs.jpg
6ivb1s.jpg

the Trigate transistor technology and the 22nm family seems to be so efficent that they might require about 35W TDP for dual core, for comparison snapdragon ARM has a 12W TDP, for x86 processors to be as efficent as ARM processors energy wise...

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
It wouldn't hurt to try and find an english source about this, that explains why this is significant.
Basically lower TDP = less power drain and less heat produced. A main reason ARM processors are used in mobile devices is their inherently-lower TDP (at least in the implementations we're familiar with), this is needed because of the heat dissipation and power drain limits inherent in mobile devices.

If processors like the i5 and such can have their TDP lowered enough, we might start seeing them in mobile devices, at least that's what the articles trying to push as I understand it. I doubt we're going to see things like the i5 in tablets and phones of course (ARM is used for more reasons than TDP, x86 is kinda' crappy from what I read but we're legacy-stuck with it for now), at least for a long while.

Reactions: 1 person

Chaosruler

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
smartphone based x86? I wasn't really going for that, and since MS supports ARM it might be possible to go with a tabet that uses Windows 8 for both ARM and x86\64, however I was more thinking about portable handlehands are using x86 arch to play old DOS and mid windows games while supporting the kerenel of basic OS, imagine Little Fighter 2, Red Alert 2, Lego Racers 1, maybe even Quake 3 Arena on your DS sized device, maybe PSP like device, that uses touch screen input instead of a mouse, though keyboard is going to be an issue... I bet that just gaming buttons be created and QWERTY touch screen input is more then enough, there are even more ideal designs of double keyboard, one for small QWERTY and one for gaming mainly (WASD, TAB, SHIFT, SPACE, CTRL, ALT etc...), you see with emulators or with ARM devices you could just hope for open source games to be ported that way, that leaving such awesome games out of reach, but with this it's closer to possibility then we think, cooling is becoming less and less of an issue for an handlehand x86 device with lower TDP....

I don't care my ass for mobile x86 phone, I don't really care about a direct fight between tablet x86 and tablet ARM\RISC, I care for a possibility of a nostalgia-device, I could list a lot more games I'd like to play that way, Heroes of Might and Magic II->IV, Unreal Tournament 1, it might be not the same as mouse and keyboard, but hey - that's usually important just to action games, nothing stops you really to play lets say, Lego Racers... of course vga is going to become the next issue, along with RAM, but that's less of an issue, especially with the evolving Tegra chips (I realize that they are SOC, meaning the chip already has an CPU) that are based on x86 arch for processing data, either that or I am having a very big unrealistic dream

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
the hell with that I am pretty sure they already have technology 10 times faster and better and less energy consuming than this stuff, but if they would throw it out on us they would get problems with finding new stuff soon enough to earn more money with this so they are definietly holding back many things right now.

Reactions: 1 person

Chaosruler

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
By the looks of the success of the desktop processor in it's TDP, I can even bet that the mobile one can get as little as 25-30W TDP, you might get 4 hours or more battery life cpu-wise, the screen is the hungry shit

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Read through the source a bit, since I can read Chinese. Seems to be questionable at this stage. The guy makes claims throughout that his "information" has been inaccurate in the past in regards to naming, and his wording in certain parts takes the basis of making assumptions rather than producing facts. (He uses a stance that Intel "shouldn't" have a feature on a specific model rather than it "won't".) The article itself is talking about Intel's Ivy Bridge processors that will succeed the current Sandy Bridge line. Nothing seems to be solidified at this point, and more of a "rumour from an inside source" or something along those lines.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It wouldn't hurt to try and find an english source about this, that explains why this is significant.
Basically lower TDP = less power drain and less heat produced. A main reason ARM processors are used in mobile devices is their inherently-lower TDP (at least in the implementations we're familiar with), this is needed because of the heat dissipation and power drain limits inherent in mobile devices.

If processors like the i5 and such can have their TDP lowered enough, we might start seeing them in mobile devices, at least that's what the articles trying to push as I understand it. I doubt we're going to see things like the i5 in tablets and phones of course (ARM is used for more reasons than TDP, x86 is kinda' crappy from what I read but we're legacy-stuck with it for now), at least for a long while.

ARM processing technology isn't nearly as fast as a full fledged desktop or laptop processor though, they are very limited in their capabilities performance wise and would be a huge drain on such a small battery if they were any faster. Eventually we will get to the point where multicore processing will happen in small mobile devices, hell Apple has the dual core A4 chip in the iPhone 4S.

Intel's Ivy Bridge processors are aiming to be more of a TDP and nanometer drop, rather then a complete replacement for the current Sandy Bridge processors, the average consumer won't care about spending more money for a new processor just because it uses less power unless it's more powerful then what they have. Seeing as how we are a ways off from Ivy Bridge anyway, I wouldn't be too worried about the details of these processors yet. AMD is rumoured to have the 7000 series launching in December which is essentially a TDP and nanometer drop as well, 22nm graphics chips that are more powerful then their 6000 series counterparts. With Bulldozer out though, Intel releasing Ivy Bridge soon would reinstate their performance lead, as of right now the top end FX chips from AMD are pretty close to the i7 2600k.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa https://youtu.be/BKLXOGhXrj4?si=4kXpeyCfxwL_k3qC