OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
via gbadev.org

Did a load of Q2 today, and I've decided to make a quick video (with me actually playing it) and stick it up your youtube, in order to show those "OMG 1fps!!1112" naysayers that the Quake2 on the DS is a very real possibility.
So anyway, here's me buzzing around the entry level. It's surprisingly hard to make a video of the DS, as well as use it at the same time :-)
The reason I never actually shoot the bad guys is cos I can't reach the L shoulder button due to the makeshift camera mount I made!

The framerate is still crap, but this time it's not due to the software renderer taking all the cycles. This time all the rendering's on the GPU, but the CPU hog is all the floating-point code used to set up the rendering.
Also the white pop-in is when the game runs out of VRAM and some new textures need to load in, so something has to be freed.

Q2 video

And here's a few pictures (much sharper)

Pic 1
Pic 2

Original thread: Yeah, Quake2

Great stuff - don't you think?

HazeyTheLazy

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He messages me ounce and awhile on DCEMU.CO.UK-
And he said the exact though as test84 had - Here is one of the messages he sent me:
-Hiya.
Tbh it's much much easier to support combined slot-1/2 solutions that slot-2 only solutions. I developed the EXRAM build of QDS with an EZ 3-in-1 RAM card permanently in my DS along with my M3 Simply! Making it run on just the Supercard/M3 was a right pain in the arse.

So what problems are you having on your M3? When the program starts (it starts, right?), what happens after the fat init step?

Btw I still haven't decided if I'm gonna pursue Q2 since there's a lot of work left to do and there are some problems with the 3D hardware that weren't so much of an issue with Q1...
Simon

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
its 5days that i'm away from my DS and in last day i just tested EXRAM version for a brief time, but i didnt find anything useful with it beside being slower than normal build, does anyone knows any advantage? i saw the table that shows difference between models in memory and stuff, but in the end its slower for my G6 Lite.

HazeyTheLazy

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its 5days that i'm away from my DS and in last day i just tested EXRAM version for a brief time, but i didnt find anything useful with it beside being slower than normal build, does anyone knows any advantage? i saw the table that shows difference between models in memory and stuff, but in the end its slower for my G6 Lite.

Yeah the xram is mainly for Online Play & Quake Mods...
-But it works fine on me M3 DS REAL plain too...
-HaZeY

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
Does anyone have email address of QuakeDS's author? I want ask him to get MP3 playback working on QuakeDS (if possible) or acquire a build that supports this feature, its so quiet playin Quake out there. its dying for some music.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
QuakeDS works fine for me.. the only problem is the jump, it should be mapped for a double tap on the screen, like it's done in Metroid. You can't reach the A,B,X,Y buttons if you're using the stylus.. the Quake2 engine does not seen much more complex than the Quake engine, it should work on the DS with some optimizations on the code, making some modifications on the textures to lower it sizes could also work.. but I don't know if that is possible..

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
1-Double tap? oh no, that sucked on CoD4, maybe the way in Metroid works.
2- Quake 2's engine is far advanced than quake.
3- it IS possible, watch the youtube on his site.
4-Orcs & Humans.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Sure, iD could make a Quake 2 DS if they wanted to.. but they have people, knowledge and access to the original game files to do that. For a homebrew project is a lot harder. The video is looking good, but it's still far from perfect.. and I recognize that double tap isn't very comfortable, but is the best solution if you want to use the touch screen.. or you could just use the SNES DOOM control style, with L & R for strafe..

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
does anyone know how to cross that bridge in Episode 2, where it connects two main casltes?

is it possible to level warp in QuakeDS? since i dont think its possible to pass that glitch.

HazeyTheLazy

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, To make the JUMP or shoot more comfortable for you Just learn how to alter config files.
-I wouldnt like double tap on touch screen b/ I have all the buttons where i want them :smile:
-Trust me go in there and mess with your config files(with common sence & a copy of the original to know what you are changing.

-ALSO you can setup the ON SCREEN KEY BOARD to have "SPACE" as jump so it can be touch screen Jump.

-HaZeY

HazeyTheLazy

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will upload my configuration File, ALTHOUGH it is for RIGHT HANDED PPL.

-But If you just want on touch screen jump then simply use your-
"On screen keyboard option and SPACE will be your jump button"

My configuration file "CFG" Upload here - http://rapidshare.com/files/74508560/config.cfg.html (Level 3)
-Sorry i wanted it to be MEGAUPLOAD but it was being gay... Download it level 3!

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
test: Did you try shooting the conspicuously located switches on either side of the bridge?

i assume you are talking about beginning of the level, i'm passed that, after opening a door which has a diabolical bloody star on it and defeating two knights, you have to pass a small bridge with a big monster attacking you, its just there. if you are interested, i can upload it for u, i'm gonna upload it now:

http://mihd.net/lawduq

(sorry its not just before freezing spot, but its near it and i think its the first save file)

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
if you really want to get past it then just go into command promt (ingame) and type "noclip" to float and walk thru stuff, then just float accross the bridge and turn it off again after

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
yeah, its from back old DOS FPS games, like Doom used to have, ...
thnx.

Do u save files get corrupted? mine does all the time.

Edit: Posts edited together, duplicate deleted. Don't double post.
lecture.gif
- Ace

HazeyTheLazy

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never has gotten corrupted on my M3 or my cyclod BUT, IM PISSED THAT I CANNOT USE IT ON MY M3 DS REAL, They "SAY" they r working on it...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Even my mum slept on that uremum