Question about SD Card corruption and transfer process to a new one

Marselu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So basically I suspect my 32gb SD card might finally got corrupted after the 3ds not being able to recognize it and having some errors while using the 3ds.

I intend on buying a new one soon and I was wondering what is the correct process of transferring the files to a new card without messing it up. My main worry is that in the transfer process the corrupted files from the old card might go into the new one, though I don't know if that is even possible. What is the safest way to transfer to a new card without corrupting it in the process? I'm willing to download my games all over again to make sure none of the files are corrupted if that's necessary, I can just copy the basic 3ds files and save backups from the old one.

• Sad
Reactions: caipora

caipora

cheese eating lactose intolerant
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So basically I suspect my 32gb SD card might finally got corrupted after the 3ds not being able to recognize it and having some errors while using the 3ds.

I intend on buying a new one soon and I was wondering what is the correct process of transferring the files to a new card without messing it up. My main worry is that in the transfer process the corrupted files from the old card might go into the new one, though I don't know if that is even possible. What is the safest way to transfer to a new card without corrupting it in the process? I'm willing to download my games all over again to make sure none of the files are corrupted if that's necessary, I can just copy the basic 3ds files and save backups from the old one.
The SD card is already corrupted? In that case, it's all gone, man.

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the safest way to transfer to a new card without corrupting it in the process?

By starting over from scratch and using any game save backups you may already have. If the data on the SD card is truly corrupted then you wouldn't be able to copy it anyway since it would error out during the copy process.

Marselu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
By starting over from scratch and using any game save backups you may already have. If the data on the SD card is truly corrupted then you wouldn't be able to copy it anyway since it would error out during the copy process.
I see, I do have a backup from before the SD card got 100% corrupted, but I would like to start from scratch anyway just to be safe. What are the files that I absolutely need to transfer to the new SD card so that the 3ds can function properly with the cfw stuff?

Reactions: caipora

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see, I do have a backup from before the SD card got 100% corrupted, but I would like to start from scratch anyway just to be safe. What are the files that I absolutely need to transfer to the new SD card so that the 3ds can function properly with the cfw stuff?
boot.firm mostly, just to be at the bare minimum.

Marselu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The SD card is already corrupted? In that case, it's all gone, man.
I mean I haven't checked it on my pc, but I can still boot up my 3ds just fine sometimes so I'm not sure if everything is really gone. But if not most files are probably corrupted already so I'll start from scratch with the essential files and download everything all over again just to be safe
Post automatically merged:

Got it, thank you very much!

caipora

cheese eating lactose intolerant
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I mean I haven't checked it on my pc, but I can still boot up my 3ds just fine sometimes so I'm not sure if everything is really gone. But if not most files are probably corrupted already so I'll start from scratch with the essential files and download everything all over again just to be safe
It's really hard to point out what exactly is corrupted or not, but as a read in your previous comments you do have a backup right? You must be safe then.

Reactions: Marselu

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
boot.firm itself from Luma3DS, and: https://3ds.hacks.guide/finalizing-setup
Should be all you need to get back to a complete CFW setup.

You can try copying the "Nintendo 3DS" folder from the old SD. If some files turn out corrupted or fail to copy, then you'll have to reinstall those games, but hopefully at least part of it is recoverable.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: Marselu

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@The Real Jdbye hey! not sure why your comments are looking like this, i've seen it here and in the Vanced alternatives thread. 🤷🏻‍♂️
20230308.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: man that was some good Chinese takeout