Squid00

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey there,

I've been trying to edit (not upscale) the below texture from Armored Core 3.

262cd4e9733ba09a-6b46456cf2691cbb-0000621b.png

What's the best practice when editing textures with transparent elements? I've seen workarounds (duplicating layers, reducing the opacity etc.) but the result is generally janky.

If I export the dumped .png to .dds, I can expose the transparency layer into an alpha channel (below).

Do I have to edit the alpha channel every time I want to make changes to a texture? Or is there another approach?

ac3alpha.JPG

Any help appreciated.

Squid

Squid00

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can try...

I stumbled on this script before but (mistakenly) thought it had something to do with upscaling :wacko:

This is the right solution, but, for whatever reason, it doesn't play nice with textures dumped from Armored Core 3. I fed it a .png dumped from another game though, and it worked as intended.

I don't know if Armored Core 3 uses irregular alpha values (not 128) or if there's something else going on, but when I tried to process the texture through the script the transparency was left untouched.

I'll do some more digging around, but thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

It works exactly as it's supposed to. I was just confused because the texture was semi-transparent to begin with. I made edits, saved, unscaled, and it all loaded correctly in-game. Thanks again!

Last edited by Squid00,
Reactions: kupo-on-gbatem

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Group statistics

Members:
Threads: