Hacking [Question] Encrypting and Decrypting Wii U game updates

ProtossEvo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Hello guys of GBATemp. I'm new to Wii U hacking, so I run into a problem and I can't figure out fix for it (and I googled a lot).

Problem is, my Wii U is Japanese, but I really don't want to play JPN version of the games. I did a lot of tests, swapping language files, installed Spiik, etc...

Almost everything worked and I could play many games in english.

But there's a problem. Some games don't seem to accept Spiik language and region changes. I can choose Language EN, Region USA, and when I try to play a game like Pikmin 3 (USA ver), the game start with Japanese language. I did the swap language files in content folder, and as long as I don't update the game, it starts in English. But if the console update the game, it return to Japanese, because the update contain the un-swapped language files, that reads over the game swapped files.

My idea was to download the updates with uTIkdownlaoder, decrypt with CDecrypt, swap the language files, and encrypt with NUSPacker, install with Wup Installer (through Haxchi).

Problem is, after encrypting, the update files has the normal size. But after I install in the Wii U (with Sygpatch), the update becomes much smaller (like 10% of the original size), and the game simply don't work.

The question is, how to correctly encrypt the update files, so it don't become tinier after the install in the console?

Thanks in advance, if someone can help me figure out.

ProtossEvo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You don't need to do that? The other question why do you want that? You can install game updates via eshop or manually via wupinstaller.

I want to do this because I want to play in English; sometimes, the USA version of the game contain folders for Japanese language, and even on a sygpatched with spiik active console, because the console is Japanese, the console region overcome the spiik language settings and revert to Japanese language. This is specially true to Pikmin 3 (USA) and Mario Kart 8 (USA).

Yes, I can play them from Loadiine, but I prefer to install it in my external USB drive.

So, if the game doesn't have a mandatory update, simply renaming the USA language folder to JPN folder, fools the console and the ENG language is loaded. But this trick doesn't work if the game has updates, because the updates, generally, has the language folders too, and it overwrite the swapped folders, which means that the console will load JPN language.

So, what I tried to do, was to download the updates through uTikDownloader, swapped the folders for JPN and ENG language, encrypted and installed with Wup Installer. But NUSPacker encrypting update files has this problem, where the output folder has the right size, but when you install it on the Wii U, it only install like 10% of the folder original size. The WUP gives a positive "Installation Successful" message, but when I verify the file size in the Wii U settings, the size is wrong, and obviously, the game won't launch, it stuck and freeze at splash screen.

I don't know if I need to change some value at the Meta.xml file before encrypting the update, so the update can be fully installed in the console. Or if is simply impossible to fix it, specially now that everyone's attention has changed to Switch, so nobody is updating these apps anymore. But any insight would be gladly appreciated.

Last edited by ProtossEvo,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Those are monitor lizards you dunce.