Hardware Ram predictions

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
It'll have the same RAM amount AS the PS3, since 3DS graphics are similar to the PS3 (Don't flame me, Kojima said -graphics are similar- it himself when designing the models for MGS 3D)

tijntje_7

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
^ He said that, that could be true. But these graphics are on a screen WAY smaller...
And besides, afaik, the ps3 has a lot of side features except for games
tongue.gif

(I don't know about the 3DS though...)
But I don't know anything about hardware xD

DryYoshi

Love child of Dry Bones and Yoshi
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think 256mb-512mb RAM and 2TB storage space because you can save your games on it so you can save 10 games (games are 2GB big).
smile.gif

The_Hulkster

Trophies
XP
Country
DryYoshi said:
I think 256mb-512mb RAM and 2TB storage space because you can save your games on it so you can save 10 games (games are 2GB big).
smile.gif

When I gave my little asian friend a poke it said that 2 GB*10 still equals 20 GB and not 2 TB.
Then again, I put batteries in him while he's obviously solar powered. He was not happy...

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
DryYoshi said:
smile.gif
Even if you could store games (which you can't), 20 GB should be enough for 10 games. 2 TB is 100 times as much. I don't think there will be more than 1 GB of flash memory in the 3DS. Remember the DSi had only 256 MB and the Wii has only 512 MB. There's an SD slot though.

As for RAM, it's hard to guess but it's probably either 64 or 128 MB. It could be anything between 32 and 256 MB as far as I'm concerned.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
pachura said:
Are you forgetting this is Nintendo ? Their hardware is always on the "lowest acceptable" level. Troydude6's initial guess (64 MB) seems just right - 2x the memory of PSP S&L.

A small point:
PSP Slim & Lite got 64MB. It was the initial release (1000-Series model) that was the only one that had 32MB.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
People saying that it'll get 64 mb need to lrn2bitsandbytes. Seriously.
I'd say 64 MB. I don't see a reason for more.
tijntje_7 said:
3DS has two screens to render, meaning double RAM (Right? My arguments are based on stuff I find logicall, it's not based on anything fact-like..)
Higher graphics mean better cpu and gpu, which could lead to games with way more objects... that use up RAM (afaik XD)
That's just... weird... how did you come to this conclusion? And I find your logic weird. Having two screens won't double the amount of anything. Sure, it takes more power to render stuff, but... that exact same amount could also be used if it had only one screen. Remember, the DS uses only 4 MB for the whole system. Not just the screens. We also have something that's called 'Compression'. It helps a lot in situations where low use of RAM is needed.

Higher Better graphics depend on the GPU and CPU, not the RAM. Remember that graphics cards have their own RAM. I don't kno, however, if this is for the GPU behind the 3DS, too, though.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
MrCooper said:
the 3DS would have to have over 200MB of RAM to support the 3D output
anything under that may cause slow loading
And... from where did you gain your knowledge? Since when is the possibility to or not to display two images at almost same time dependant on RAM?
What do you mean? That could be 256, 512, 1024, 2048 or even 4096 MB of RAM!
Slow loading depends on the developers. The solution's called streaming. More RAM doesn't equal shorter load-times. Faster RAM and a medium with a higher reading speed, do, however, affect the loading time possitively. That is, only if the RAM is fast enough to cope with the reading of data. I've yet to encounter that, though.

tijntje_7

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Berthenk said:
People saying that it'll get 64 mb need to lrn2bitsandbytes. Seriously.
I'd say 64 MB. I don't see a reason for more.
tijntje_7 said:
3DS has two screens to render, meaning double RAM (Right? My arguments are based on stuff I find logicall, it's not based on anything fact-like..)
Higher graphics mean better cpu and gpu, which could lead to games with way more objects... that use up RAM (afaik XD)
That's just... weird... how did you come to this conclusion? And I find your logic weird. Having two screens won't double the amount of anything. Sure, it takes more power to render stuff, but... that exact same amount could also be used if it had only one screen. Remember, the DS uses only 4 MB for the whole system. Not just the screens. We also have something that's called 'Compression'. It helps a lot in situations where low use of RAM is needed.

Higher Better graphics depend on the GPU and CPU, not the RAM. Remember that graphics cards have their own RAM. I don't kno, however, if this is for the GPU behind the 3DS, too, though.

iirc, I said that that was based on the mind of someone who has no knowledge about how hardware to software stuff works, I find that sort of logical and it was 100% improvised, it made me believe imo that it needs 128 or 256 MB ram
tongue.gif

Just to make that clear, I know I was wrong...

Painguy

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
64mb isnt a good idea. The PSP Go has about that much, and obviously the 3DS is superior in terms of hardware than the PSP. 256mb, hopefully 512mb (but knowing Nintendo they most likely wouldn't do that.) as for phone CPU's being clocked at 2ghz...yes it is possible u can infact overclock the CPU to that frequency. Also RAM has nothing to do with 3D output. some of you are confusing RAM with frame buffer, and video memory.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Capcom says RE for 3ds will use the same MT engine (not downgraded) has re4 gold on the ps3 and 360. So my guess is 128mb-256mb. Plus 128 of video memory.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I do wonder though. Nintendo went on record about their "Cross Path" technology, saying it can stay on, whether you're using your 3DS or if you have it closed, and that data between 2+ units in that mode would transmit data pertaining to games the devices have information about. That in itself would required some mandatory RAM space for holding and processing, no matter what the device is currently doing. The internal storage wouldn't be proper because of read/write speeds until all data was finalized, imo.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaming aside, for the sake of a decent web browser with half-decent performance (it's sad they don't have one yet in any of the portable gaming units), I hope they have improved things here to at least 128MB (and I hope the browser uses at least half of that!).

DSi has a paltry 16MB RAM and its performance is terrible when browsing (I'm guessing RAM is the bottleneck and not the CPU).

Nintendo know how to save yen!

troydude6

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Painguy said:
64mb isnt a good idea. The PSP Go has about that much, and obviously the 3DS is superior in terms of hardware than the PSP. 256mb, hopefully 512mb (but knowing Nintendo they most likely wouldn't do that.) as for phone CPU's being clocked at 2ghz...yes it is possible u can infact overclock the CPU to that frequency. Also RAM has nothing to do with 3D output. some of you are confusing RAM with frame buffer, and video memory.

No reason to compare the PSP's RAM to the 3DS. However if you want to go there the original XBOX had 64 MB of RAM and could output 1080i and it had Halo 2.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
foob said:
Gaming aside, for the sake of a decent web browser with half-decent performance (it's sad they don't have one yet in any of the portable gaming units), I hope they have improved things here to at least 128MB (and I hope the browser uses at least half of that!).

That would be great, although I highly doubt it. Nintendo provides great gaming experience but doesn't really care much about added value. E.g., Sony has made PSP a portable media center, while DSi's music player cannot even play fucking MP3s.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/Cj8n4MfhjUc?si=detAUm1a27hi4uTP