Razer announces gaming-focused "Razer Phone" announcement, benchmark reveals specs

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
What the heck is this? You're going to buy a "gaming" phone to play all those crappy pay-to-play games? Just buy a desktop, Jesus.
This. The hardware is enticing, but gaming and phone just don't mix.

Reactions: rileysrjay

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can only see one app that could use the boost in power, and that would be dolphin. Other than that, just why would you need this?

D

Deleted User

Oh boy I can't wait to play Candy Crush on this

In all seriousness, though, the performance boost should be useful for some emulators. Can't really think of any actual mobile games that would use this phone's horses, though.

Reactions: rileysrjay

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
In all seriousness, though, the performance boost should be useful for some emulators. Can't really think of any actual mobile games that would use this phone's horses, though.
The performance isn't going to be significantly better than other SD 835 phones. A few fps at best, if at all. And the SD 835 performs even worse than Apples last-gen SoC. It's just a high-end Android phone with a Razer logo slapped on the back and marketed as a gaming phone.

SmellyPirateMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now I gotta choose between this or a Note 8. Decisions decisions
I guess I'll just watch the modding scene on both devices and see which one I want after the talented devs get their hands on them

Sent from my toaster running Rebug

jDSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah first razer needs better quality control before they make anything outside of PC gaming tech

Also stop overchanging for lights and nice features that only last about 6 months thanks razer

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess no waterproofing is dumb, but be real. Did we really need it? Being able to swim with your phone is cool and all, but it's not something that should be seen as standard.
When you have that accident that you think was never going to happen with your $700 phone, you will be glad that it has waterproofing.

but gaming and phone just don't mix.
I disagree. It just seems like companies are too scared to go the whole way. Seems like they fix one problem and then completely neglect the others. It is already a $700 phone and it is a phone going for a specific market. Would it have really killed them to include some kind of physical controls?

While you could argue that they will use the 8GB ram to the fullest, there are already phones that have that much ram. So the only real difference seems to be the screen and games being made specifically to work on the phone. Oh, and the speakers.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
When you have that accident that you think was never going to happen with your $700 phone, you will be glad that it has waterproofing.

I disagree. It just seems like companies are too scared to go the whole way. Seems like they fix one problem and then completely neglect the others. It is already a $700 phone and it is a phone going for a specific market. Would it have really killed them to include some kind of physical controls?

While you could argue that they will use the 8GB ram to the fullest, there are already phones that have that much ram. So the only real difference seems to be the screen and games being made specifically to work on the phone. Oh, and the speakers.

Would it have killed them? Look at the Moto Z accessories. It's a mess. Then you've got the Xperia play that failed. Is it possible? Yeah. Plausible? No. Gaming on a phone just doesn't work. No matter how you hack it.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would it have killed them? Look at the Moto Z accessories. It's a mess. Then you've got the Xperia play that failed. Is it possible? Yeah. Plausible? No. Gaming on a phone just doesn't work. No matter how you hack it.
You are comparing a bunch of mods to one thing that they could have included in the box. The Xperia Play didn't failed due to having controls nor did it fail because it was focus on gaming. It failed for other reasons. Such as not being as strong or close as strong as the other phones and lack support. Not to mention, this was years ago. Technology has gotten much better. Even cheaper phones got comparable technology to the flagships.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
You are comparing a bunch of mods to one thing that they could have included in the box. The Xperia Play didn't failed due to having controls nor did it fail because it was focus on gaming. It failed for other reasons. Such as not being as strong or close as strong as the other phones and lack support. Not to mention, this was years ago. Technology has gotten much better. Even cheaper phones got comparable technology to the flagships.
It failed because it sucked. The slide out controls wore out after a few months of use. The build quality itself was just god awful. Comparing mods to something they could include in the box? Like slide out game controls? Yeah, but what good would that do? Battery life is already truly inconsistent. Add another bit of hardware and a niche focus, and you drop it even further.

Again, gaming and phones don't mix.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It failed because it sucked. The slide out controls wore out after a few months of use. The build quality itself was just god awful. Comparing mods to something they could include in the box? Like slide out game controls? Yeah, but what good would that do? Battery life is already truly inconsistent. Add another bit of hardware and a niche focus, and you drop it even further.

Again, gaming and phones don't mix.
Just going to agree to disagree.

P

pasc

Well.. Had a flip razer phone once.

Sh###y speaker. Clunky layout. Nothing to brag about.

Still sold 2 months ago for 60€... Not too shabby.

Guess ppl still value them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    N @ NoiseCommander3DS: @AncientBoi Apologies