• Views 1,078,421
  • Replies 3,243
  • Likes 128

tecfreak

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I can distribute the coreboot file even though it has this blob inside.
You can do everything you want, but it doesn't mean that this wouldn't be a copyright violation. That is why no one shares this blob and why everyone tells you to extract it yourself.

CTCaer

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
You can do everything you want, but it doesn't mean that this wouldn't be a copyright violation. That is why no one shares this blob and why everyone tells you to extract it yourself.
i know what you are saying, but well, it works a little differently with Google and many other manufacturers and android rom components.

https://developers.google.com/android/images
Look down below.

You will see 2 licenses for the distribution images:
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/
https://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0

These basically allow you, via the already given consent of Google to distribute these files, even though they include proprietary blobs and drivers.
That's why sites like XDA developers still exist.

Another big example is Windows.
It's legal to share the installation image and parts of it. Copy paste, Dvd, iso whatever. BUT you can't share the license.

With console software though it's another thing.
Because there's encryption in play and the manufacturer does not allow you to acquire them normally, they abide on copyright and distribution laws for each region.

EDIT:
Btw the above does not mean that I will also distribute it, if I decide to use it for hekate.
I'm just making conversation here.

Last edited by CTCaer,

Sury1943

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a question about the restoration of a backup. I made a full back up of my NAND, using a Fat32 formatted SD Card.
Because my switch in on ofw 4.1.0 and there is no support for exFAT in the OFW or CFW.
How do i restore my NAND now ?

Joining the NAND parts into one file is no problem at all and needed cause according to the information provided, Hekate dus not support restoring from multiple parts.
However, this results in a file exceeding the single file limitation of Fat32.
So does Hekate support exFat regardless if the switch itself has the update or is it dependent on the ofw having the exFat update ?

Last edited by Sury1943,

tecfreak

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So does Hekate support exFat regardless if the switch itself has the update or is it dependent on the ofw having the exFat update ?
This question has been answered 1000 times. YES, it supports exFAT no matter if your FW does it or not.
Next time, read the OP! It's everything there!

Last edited by tecfreak,

MarkDaPirate

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry if this has been answered before but I haven't been able to find an answer.

Is it safe to boot into hakate and then go online?

I have just got my switch and wanted to check rcm with a jig worked (it does) so I got it into rcm mode sent the payload bin and then rebooted after seeing it booted fine.

Am I now safe to go online with out a ban?

Cheers for any help

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if this has been answered before but I haven't been able to find an answer.

Is it safe to boot into hakate and then go online?

I have just got my switch and wanted to check rcm with a jig worked (it does) so I got it into rcm mode sent the payload bin and then rebooted after seeing it booted fine.

Am I now safe to go online with out a ban?

Cheers for any help
Nobody has been banned for only using Hekate but that doesn't mean its safe, it just means nobody has been banned yet. CTCaer is not held responsible for any bans that you may incur while using his work.

Reactions: MarkDaPirate

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@CTCaer I've got a burning question in my head. I know you consider writing to the eMMC dangerous but this is more in relation to something else. The eMMC works like an SD card and when people restore their NAND to it, it reduces the number of write cycles it has left. My question is it is possible to reach that limit in the console's lifetime or do you have to restore an exceedingly abnormal number of times to reach that limit? I'm asking because many people will be restoring their NAND backups made before backups in order to avoid being banned and I would like to know how effective it will be in the long-term (outside of the obvious risk that your writing directly to the eMMC).

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Restoring a complete backup only writes to each memory location once. Unless you were doing so daily I don't think the impact on its lifetime would be significant.

CTCaer

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
@CTCaer I've got a burning question in my head. I know you consider writing to the eMMC dangerous but this is more in relation to something else. The eMMC works like an SD card and when people restore their NAND to it, it reduces the number of write cycles it has left. My question is it is possible to reach that limit in the console's lifetime or do you have to restore an exceedingly abnormal number of times to reach that limit? I'm asking because many people will be restoring their NAND backups made before backups in order to avoid being banned and I would like to know how effective it will be in the long-term (outside of the obvious risk that your writing directly to the eMMC).
You have to restore an abnormal number of times.
Normally eMMC life performance is around 2000-5000 writes per cell. I don't know exactly though. Manufactures tend to keep these figures a secret or using strange year expectancy calculations.

Depends on NAND chip type (the actual storage chip inside the eMMC), quality (binning) and manufacturers algorithms.
Samsung are the best currently. So the above number should be higher (still not sure though).

On the other hand, replacements are quite cheap. Around 10 dollars. And you can just restore the backup to a new one.

In the end, it's not a good idea to play often with a full write all the time. And a user must always keep this in mind.

Last edited by CTCaer,
Reactions: Draxzelex

fOmey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm just wondering if we select "launch stock" option will this prevent fuses being burnt if we have upgraded using the unofficial method? Excuse my ignorance, I've been out of the switch hacking loop for a minute.

Minikea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
i don't know, maybe I'll play with this sometime. Still though, I have more important things to do (booting linux through hekate is a pain in the ass).
Honnestly, I've tested Linux on Switch with ShofEL2 and it was fun to work with but in the end it's just useless (for me).
Maybe it's more friendly for dev to work in a linux env but for end user the homebrew are far more easier to play with.
And i suspect that if you want to boot linux on switch you'll have to bypass the limit of loader size or at least exploit the A57 core and not the BPMP. I trust you: that would be a pain in the ass.

CTCaer

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I'm just wondering if we select "launch stock" option will this prevent fuses being burnt if we have upgraded using the unofficial method? Excuse my ignorance, I've been out of the switch hacking loop for a minute.
All options in Launch firmware bypass efuses and lock them to prevent burning them.

Is there a difference between installing AutoRCM via this, versus using SX OS 1.3 Auto RCM install?
Yes. They corrupt different parts. So they are incompatible. Always uninstall AutoRCM with the same payload used to install it.

Honnestly, I've tested Linux on Switch with ShofEL2 and it was fun to work with but in the end it's just useless (for me).
Maybe it's more friendly for dev to work in a linux env but for end user the homebrew are far more easier to play with.
And i suspect that if you want to boot linux on switch you'll have to bypass the limit of loader size or at least exploit the A57 core and not the BPMP. I trust you: that would be a pain in the ass.
Well the CBFS serving is solved. The problem is that it stucks on tz firmware for some reason. One step before uboot.

CTCaer

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Is there a reason why we use different approaches? What makes one better than the other? Why not use a universal one? Reminds me of this https://xkcd.com/927/
Ask tx.

AutoRCM from hekate (it is called AutoRCM v2) and Bricmii were the first.
Hekate and Brickmii, XOR one byte in each BCT with a specific or random value each.
Afaik, Brickmii can unbrick any option. At least it's what seems to do judging by its code.

But in the end, all of them do the same job.

The public key is still the same for all switches, so even if you mess this up, you can still restore it.

EDIT:
Btw, hekate does not use Brickmii's AutoRCM, because of size constraints.
We are still a bootloader with countless features and not just a tool. So everything has to fit in 123KiB.
But it would be good to have a similar unbrick option though.

Last edited by CTCaer,

Minikea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's possible to clear logs while in hekate, without booting the system?
I noticed sys-ftpd is not working if we boot with the clear logs option.
Code:
[CFW + FTP + Clear Log]
kip1=modules/sys-ftpd.kip
kip1=modules/newfirm/loader.kip
kip1=modules/newfirm/sm.kip
kip1=modules/nx-dreport.kip

My full ini file:
Code:
{------------ Stock -----------}
[Stock]
[Stock + Clear Log]
{ }

{------ Custom Firmwares ------}
{IP: 192.168.1.10 / Port: 5000}
{ }
[CFW + FTP]
[CFW + FTP + Clear Log]
{ }

{--------- LayeredFS ----------}
{IP: 192.168.1.10 / Port: 5000}
{ }
[LayeredFS + FTP]
kip1=modules/newfirm/fs_mitm.kip
atmosphere=1
[LayeredFS + FTP + Clear Log]
kip1=modules/newfirm/fs_mitm.kip
atmosphere=1
{ }
with the last SDFILE release, the
Code:
[CFW + FTP + Clear Log]
{ }
works with my 3.0.0 switch

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought I saw my ex on that new kingdom of the Apes poster
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I thought I saw a puttie snatch...
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm so pumped, NCAA football video game is back after a 10 year hiatus, coming to SeriesS/X, PS5 in July.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wish they would let us play the NCAA football 14 on newer xbox, its one of the only games I love and own on disc still, that is not back compatible, bs.
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    @BigOnYa My dad recently bought a spare Series X off of me, got game pass, and saw Madden '24 on Game Pass, decided to try it out.

...He was a bit taken aback by the 60GB download size. Poor guy's still living in the 90s!
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AdenTheThird, Bro's still in the PS2 age.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol charging your dad's classic unless he's the type that doesn't like taking things like that
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    @K3Nv2 He was looking into consoles for his house anyway (for my younger siblings and himself) and I had a spare XSX and Switch I ended up selling him at pretty steep cuts. I would just give them to him, but I did buy them with the intent to sell them... and college is super expensive.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A little yeah...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, [insert wut here]
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm a little hi, but bout to fix that.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Now I'm low, i was upstairs in my wifeys kitchen, now I'm downstairs in my dungeon.(My basement)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    do you mind? i snuck in with amiibo and jars, and am trying to do my thing brony style
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    have you ever regretted saying something immediately after saying it?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nah what i was doing was trying to cure my ever-so-apparent crabs
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ,
    my younger brother is forcing me to play with him and my cousins are here *sigh*
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @SylverReZ that Hack a hacked 360 vid was neat, never knew it existed.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, I thought it was interesting.
    +1
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RklRDirsON4