Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RobDS said:
I got some from Deal extreme last week and they came in the clear packets,i got three this week which came in card boxes and one of them doesn't work. Looked on DSTT website and although not identical looks more like the fake ones,i had to smash it to get it open as well so that make me think it is fake as they don't want you to get inside it.

The older (legitimate) DSTT's were glued shut. You can pry them open without breaking them if you're careful (I used an Xacto knife to get mine open). The fact that your cart was glued shut is no sign that it's a fake.

The easiest way to tell if it's a fake is to look at the front edge of the metal microSD holder in the DSTT. You can see the front edge of the holder without taking the card apart if you hold it at the right angle and view it under good lighting. If the front edge is curved, you have a real one, but if it's straight you have a fake:

HowToTell.jpg

Note that not all fakes look like the one on the left, nor do all real ones look like the one on the right. But all fakes apparently have the same microSD holder with the flat edge while all real ones use a microSD holder with a curved edge.

This method should work whether you have one of the old white ones that are glued shut or one of the newer ones that have a divot near the microSD slot (which I believe are not glued shut).

-Bri

bulletmark

Trophies
XP
Country
I find that it is actually difficult to see the straight or curved edge from the outside but that left side scallop/stairway edge on the fakes is fairly easy to spot externally. At least it was for the 2 fakes I got this week. I didn't need to open them.

Galacta

>:)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
walkearth said:
They aren't fakes. They are just the old version. When DX run out of stock of these, they won't sell them anymore. I have several of those cards and all of them work perfectly with the last software version.
DX has already started selling the real(new) version of the card: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15613
You have to like the old one better.
The new one is lacking a lot of awesome freebies and important stuff. LIKE THE TF.
And I t looks really cheap as well.
I say they are both real.
tongue.gif

pontyslapper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry to resurrect an 'old' thread...

I've dealt with DX on several occasions since my 'rant' here back in November and I have to say I cannot fault them - OK they can take a little while to respond but the outcome is usually pretty good.

For my 5 'fakes' I was offered $1.60 store credit as compo and the batch of 2Gb MicroSD's I'd ordered were out of stock - they 'upgraded' me to the more expensive Sandisks FOC - OK that only means they've 'lost' about $11.50 on a $120 order but I've been back and ordered about $250 worth of DSTTs and MicroSDs.

Despite what I said here about never dealing with DX again - I will. The major bargain was/is the genuine Guitar Hero button thingy (18205) for just $12.05!!

Compare that with how much the button thingy and the game go for at play.com and you're looking at a potential saving of about £15 and thats for a DSTT, 2Gb MSD and the GH button thingy!!

So DX is the place for mucho cheapness - granted it can go pear shaped occasionally, but give them a chance to sort it and you'll be happy as!

THeLL

Trophies
Website
www.acekard3ds.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ofcourse, DX is very cheap, but you don't always receive what you have ordered. Don't make your order to complicated is my experience, then you will receive what you've ordered. I've had bad experiences with Volumerate, where they just don't send a product that you wanted, or they email you that you will need to pay extra for shipping (this happened multiple times).

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
walkearth said:
DX has already started selling the real(new) version of the card: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15613

these tend to be REAL from a few i got recently of this SKU 15613 order number and a few friends got these too and ALL WERE REAL!

another thing to look out for on the images is the chip layout

f_realcardsm_0a5d468.jpg

the first card has no extra chip next to the card slot!

the second is what I got and what friends got the SKU 15613
model with the chip rotated thats next to the card slot! (see image)

is useful to know ALL the fakes shown on the TTDS website have that chip mounted HORIZONTAL!

see image

q7f63i6zh0681arw6ts.jpg

stayingarmed

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the link posted by the original poster is the exact one I ordered (2 of them actually) and although at first glance I THOUGHT they were fake, I used the nds file on here to find out if they were real or not and it indicated they were real.

I have 1.17 on both and they both work flawlessly. Only problem I had was one of the card readers included didn't work....but who cares!

Doktor9

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I don't care if my cards from DE are fake, they do what they are supposed to do (Bought 14 till now) And actually, I don't expect to get a real one for $6.40 included S&H.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Doktor9 said:
I don't care if my cards from DE are fake, they do what they are supposed to do (Bought 14 till now) And actually, I don't expect to get a real one for $6.40 included S&H.

When they start failing on you or whoever you got them for when you use the latest update and it kills the card... then it starts to matter! (yes i know there's a fix for it now but back when the fakes started there was no cure!)

The fact that they sold you an item that you ordered as legit and turns up fake then regardless of the cost its bad business practice to fob you off with something its not
frown.gif

If you bought a car thinking it was a BMW only to find out they swapped the engine out for one outta a Skoda yet sell it for the same price you would be angry and go back tell them you got ripped off and demand a replacement wouldn't you!? .... this is the same principal only not as costly .. for some $6 is a big issue moreso when they order 10 or more and ALL of them turn up fakes.... it begins to be a costly problem as its $6x10 or whatever number in bulk you ordered!

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Doktor9 said:

Why don't you expect to get a real one for $6.40 since that's what real ones sell for?

-Bri

Doktor9

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Bri said:
Doktor9 said:

Why don't you expect to get a real one for $6.40 since that's what real ones sell for?

-Bri

Didn't know I could get a genuine for that price inclusive shipping to Norway, but feel free to tell me where to get them.
laugh.gif

By the way, norwegian webshops sell the DSTT card for 500 NOK, which equals about $75.
shy.gif
That's insane..

Doktor9

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Bri said:
Doktor9 said:
Didn't know I could get a genuine for that price inclusive shipping to Norway, but feel free to tell me where to get them.
laugh.gif

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15613

-Bri

Thx, with the norwegian prices in mind, I assumed all these cards were fake. BTW dealextreme states on all DSTT cards that they are genuine, how can one know that these are?

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dealextreme generally labels the flash carts that are fakes. For example, this one is fake: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18119

It is marked on the page as not being an official ndstt.com version:

Version note: This is the CN DSTT.com revision of the DSTT cart. The NDSTT.com version is available here.

That said, people have occasionally received fakes from dealextreme.com even though they ordered a real one. If you discover that you have received a fake, follow the return procedures and they'll send you a real one free of charge. They usually even let you keep the fake, but if they want it back they will pay return shipping.

-Bri

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
phoenixtaku said:
Whats the difference between a fake and a real one?
Are the real ones better?

fakes get killed by the FAKE KILLER CODE put into the new updates from the TTDS team!

fortunately some clever net users found a way to a) revive the killed fakes and b) remove the fake killer code from the updates!

basically they both do the same job and run the same firmware kernels ... its a bit of a lottery getting real and fakes just follow the advice in this thread and others about fakes and buy the recommended ones
smile.gif

If you suspect you have a fake then you can either send it back .. ask for a refund/store credit (DX dont give a lot of cash for store credit back
frown.gif
) or if you have bricked or used the fake killer update is to recover it as soon as possible and only use the fixed updates from here
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...