Homebrew Really stupid questions i'm not finding the answers for about retroarch 3ds.

Zaphod77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question 1.

Do 3dsx builds have decent performance under Rosalina and Lums3ds, or should cia versions be used? (the less dumb question)

Question 2. Where do the roms actually go? This doesn't seem to be well explained.

D

Deleted User

Question 1.

Do 3dsx builds have decent performance under Rosalina and Lums3ds, or should cia versions be used? (the less dumb question)

Question 2. Where do the roms actually go? This doesn't seem to be well explained.
1. In my experience, 3dsx and cia builds of retroarch virtually run the same, so goof performance on both. CIA usually edges out though just a little bit.
2. Roms can go anywhere you want. Go wild!

Also, since retroarch is kinda buggy, I suggest you download the cia versions of bubble2k16's emulators. Much better.

https://github.com/bubble2k16

Reactions: wicksand420

trecko1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Retroarch is not buggy, the big problems were fixed recently, the only time bubble2k16's emulators are better is if you want to run SNES games with special hardware (Yoshi's Island, Starfox, Super Mario RPG, etc) or if you are using an O3DS.

Neither the O3DS or N3DS has the hardware to use the rewind in retroarch.

Zaphod77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sigh. that was what i wanted to know BEFORE i got the new2ds ...

someone said they use rewind granularity 3 or something. i guess i just gotta copy some stuff an try it..

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Retroarch is not buggy, the big problems were fixed recently, the only time bubble2k16's emulators are better is if you want to run SNES games with special hardware (Yoshi's Island, Starfox, Super Mario RPG, etc) or if you are using an O3DS.

Neither the O3DS or N3DS has the hardware to use the rewind in retroarch.
With Retroarch 1.7.1, is the problem fixed where if using the xmb style menu, the 3DS would crash after a while of browsing the menu? Switching to rgui would fix the issue in that case. That's one of the biggest bugs I've encountered with retroarch on 3DS.

kaiobj

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
With Retroarch 1.7.1, is the problem fixed where if using the xmb style menu, the 3DS would crash after a while of browsing the menu? Switching to rgui would fix the issue in that case. That's one of the biggest bugs I've encountered with retroarch on 3DS.
Yes, it is fixed. I was trying old builds and experiencing this issue but tried the latest version last week and it is definitely gone.
However, I was not aware that Retroarch's Snes emulators don't write the SRAM unless you proper quit the emulator, going back to the XMB Style menu and hitting the "Quit" option and because of that I lost some progress (I'm playing Romancing SaGa at the moment). There is an option to set the writting SRAM interval to work around this issue but sometimes it crashes the app. My "fix": always save the game and make sure to save a state, if you want to. I usually disapprove the usage of Save States (but I have nothing against who uses it) and just use after saving in game.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it is fixed. I was trying old builds and experiencing this issue but tried the latest version last week and it is definitely gone.
However, I was not aware that Retroarch's Snes emulators don't write the SRAM unless you proper quit the emulator, going back to the XMB Style menu and hitting the "Quit" option and because of that I lost some progress (I'm playing Romancing SaGa at the moment). There is an option to set the writting SRAM interval to work around this issue but sometimes it crashes the app. My "fix": always save the game and make sure to save a state, if you want to. I usually disapprove the usage of Save States (but I have nothing against who uses it) and just use after saving in game.
Thanks for the info, I heard about Snes9x and its saving issue in retroarch but forgot about it. Good thing a lot of snes games don't save or they use passwords.
At this point I only use retroarch for gameboy emulation, using gambatte. I was using the Dsiware version of Gameyob as suggested by others, but it did not save when I exited the emulator. This is something I experienced even on gameyob on a DS flashcard back then. So im like no im not dealing with this again. It saves properly in retroarch though. And gambatte works perfect so why not. since this is the only retroarch emulator I use now, I may as well continue not using the xmb menu since it takes longer to load up.

Reactions: kaiobj

trecko1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info, I heard about Snes9x and its saving issue in retroarch but forgot about it. Good thing a lot of snes games don't save or they use passwords.
At this point I only use retroarch for gameboy emulation, using gambatte. I was using the Dsiware version of Gameyob as suggested by others, but it did not save when I exited the emulator. This is something I experienced even on gameyob on a DS flashcard back then. So im like no im not dealing with this again. It saves properly in retroarch though. And gambatte works perfect so why not. since this is the only retroarch emulator I use now, I may as well continue not using the xmb menu since it takes longer to load up.
If you use the playlists in retroarch the rgui menu doesn't correctly sort alphabetical by the first letter, it just does it top to bottom in order of how it's saved in the playlist file, which isnt usually sorted by first letter. The xmb driver correctly sorts it.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you use the playlists in retroarch the rgui menu doesn't correctly sort alphabetical by the first letter, it just does it top to bottom in order of how it's saved in the playlist file, which isnt usually sorted by first letter. The xmb driver correctly sorts it.
Yeah I got playlists working on the wiiu and I wanted to bring it to the 3DS. But XMB wasn't working on previous retroarch versions. I'll give it a try now

kaiobj

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Good to know that Gambatte is working fine. I'm planning to start playing Pokemon Brown and Anniversary Crystal and because of my laziness in creatin cias, I'm gonna give the retroarch a chance to prove its worthiness. Hope to get good results like you got. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87... +1