OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Thanks for adding the link!

Savestates are planned.

N3DS C-Stick is mapped to the right D-Pad.

Does the 3D Tetris crash happen if it's the first ROM you load? I suspected that was related to things not being reset fully, but if it happens from a clean boot it's probably something else.

Would it be possible to adjust the depth between the layers using the 3D slider? The Virtual Boy has the eye distance adjustment and I was wondering if it was similar to how depth adjustment works in 3DS games.
Can't do much about this unfortunately. On the Virtual Boy, you can draw sprites and tile layers with a "parallax offset", so this part would work with a slider. Not everything is drawn this way though, as some layers can be assigned to specific eyes, so that each eye effectively a completely different image (you'll see this in some game logos).

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for adding the link!

Savestates are planned.

Does the 3D Tetris crash happen if it's the first ROM you load? I suspected that was related to things not being reset fully, but if it happens from a clean boot it's probably something else.

Can't do much about this unfortunately. On the Virtual Boy, you can draw sprites and tile layers with a "parallax offset", so this part would work with a slider. Not everything is drawn this way though, as some layers can be assigned to specific eyes, so that each eye effectively a completely different image (you'll see this in some game logos).
Yes it crashes for me if it's the first rom loaded

Reactions: Vague Rant

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is amazing. I've always been curious though, would it be possible for virtual boy roms to be edited with DX like hacks that add full color? Like how many Game Boy roms have been edited to be full color in recent years. Would be so amazing to one day see a full color version of VB Wario Land.
The game boy hacks use the capabilities of the GBC, so it's a real existing feature set to work with. There was never a colour version of the VB (well, red is a colour, but you know :rofl:), so the only way to do it would be to add invented new capabilities to the emulator(s), and then hack the games to use them. Possible but idk how likely it is that someone will ever want to take on that work.

Reactions: Ryccardo

WalterSlovotsky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm honestly surprised this was never tried up until now. I always thought it would be the perfect place for a Virtual Boy revival, if Nintendo were willing to do it.

Finally have a reason to dust off, charge and boot up my 3DS again.

ciaomao

Well-Known Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
With the 3dsx it freezes after I have selected the rom. If I use the cia, an additional message "couldn't initialize audio. did you dump your DSP firmware?" appears at startup. Is a specific 3ds firmware required? Mine is still 11.2.0.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the 3dsx it freezes after I have selected the rom. If I use the cia, an additional message "couldn't initialize audio. did you dump your DSP firmware?" appears at startup. Is a specific 3ds firmware required? Mine is still 11.2.0.
You need to dump the dsp firmware. With Luma3DS you can do this:
  1. Press (Left Shoulder) + (D-Pad Down) + (Select) at the same time to open the Rosalina menu
  2. Select "Miscellaneous options"
  3. Select "Dump DSP firmware"
  4. Press (B) to continue
  5. Press (B) to return to the Rosalina main menu
  6. Press (B) to exit the Rosalina menu

JORGETECH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I didn't notice the C-Stick mapping, but I'm still trying out games for the first time so I could have easily missed that.
Yes, I now remember Rodrigo Copetti's article about the Virtual Boy mentioning that, it makes sense that some of the graphical features of the system conflict with the 3DS parallax effect.

legofordman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR MAKING THIS!!!! This is amazing! But I do have a request for a possible feature for this, could you maybe make it so people with a circle pad pro can use the circle pad pro to use it as the right dpad?

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country

Ditto AmandaRose, all three of my crashes were with 3-D Tetris as my first/only launched ROM.

On the features front, it would be nice to get support for the ZL/ZR buttons on New 3DS. That would allow the 3DS to match the number of inputs on the Virtual Boy. In particular, I think they'd be ideal B/A buttons when the right D-pad is using the 3DS face buttons. For a game like Red Alarm, that would put throttle on ZL/ZR instead of the touch screen.

Reactions: AmandaRose

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

ciaomao

Well-Known Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
You need to dump the dsp firmware. With Luma3DS you can do this:
  1. Press (Left Shoulder) + (D-Pad Down) + (Select) at the same time to open the Rosalina menu
  2. Select "Miscellaneous options"
  3. Select "Dump DSP firmware"
  4. Press (B) to continue
  5. Press (B) to return to the Rosalina main menu
  6. Press (B) to exit the Rosalina menu
i see. i hacked my 3ds a while ago. I still use theme hax with GW…

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Okay, can you add a "Gameboy" filter so things look Gameboy green or black and white without having to guess with the color pallette?

Fun fact, The Virtual Boy LOOKS basically as a Gameboy with 3D effects. Why? Cause Nintendo was really stingy with Ram memory.

*Edited

Last edited by raxadian,

Dakangel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Okay, can you add a "Gameboy" filter so things look Gameboy green or black and white without having to guess with the color pallette?

Fun fact, The Virtual Boy is basically a Gameboy with 3D effects. That's why it was so underpowered. Had they used the Super Nintendo hardware as a base the games graphics would have been better.
To the contrary , Virtual Boy is a 32bit generation toy, more powerfull than the snes but with a limited gameboy / wonderswan color palette.

Reactions: Kwyjor

SolidSonicTH

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to know: does this exclude 2DS players or is the 3D functions of the emulator optional? I actually haven't found any reports of such (and I own an n3DS so it wouldn't be something I can test).

EDIT: Actually I guess I could...I could just disable the 3D effects on my own system. :|

That was pretty derp.

TurboLolo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hi, did get solution for freezing when selecting ram? I have DSP fw dump but still get massage couldn't initialize audio.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
To the contrary , Virtual Boy is a 32bit generation toy, more powerfull than the snes but with a limited gameboy / wonderswan color palette.

I just found the reason why the 3D was so basic is because Nintendo go to means of making things cheaper is being stingy on the Ram memory. (And yes that even applies to the Nintendo Switch. Several videogame companies outright had to tell Nintendo that the Nintendo Switch had to have at least 4 GB of ram or they wouldn't develop for it at all. And coming right back from the Wii U fiasco Nintendo actually listened.)

Sure Nintendo pass the cost to the companies to add Ram on the Virtual Boy game cardridges if they need extra ram, I am sure nothing can go wrong with that -_-

To be fair 16 MB of ram would have upped the costs a whole lot, most personal computers at the time had 8 MB at most (4 MB was recommended for Windows 3.x) and cost way more that most videogame consoles not named Neo Geo.

Last edited by raxadian,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just found the reason why the 3D was so basic is because Nintendo go to means of making things cheaper is being stingy on the Ram memory.
The stories of its development are well-established at this point. There were severe limitations on the display technology that were largely unrelated to RAM.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu