Akotan

Mathematical!
Trophies
Website
www.viciocriativo.com
XP
Country
Brazil
is the rom you're trying to launch an official dump, or homebrew?
Official dumps. But I’ll go after other game files, just to make sure.
Post automatically merged:

90% of the time, you have to backup your sd card or micro sd card, format it and copy the data back with a program that makes sure the data is not damaged. then try to install the program again. Alternatively download the cia file again using a download manager, as it might have downloaded wrong for some reason.
Don’t know… if it was a faulty SD card, other new content I put on it would not work as well… and I already tried to install Red Viper twice. I’ll go after other game files, as urherenow said. Maybe it will be my lucky chance lol

Shame on me and I got it to run just fine. I saved all the rom files again and noticed that, at a point, don't know where or how, the rom files were with 0 bytes.

Great work, guys! Thanks for all your advices.
Will be playing it all day long

Last edited by Akotan,

Datbo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
here to add my testing experience. Faceball seems to lag when destructable items are in the level. I think this is an emulator issue as it severely affects the controls. For context im using an old 3ds

Another update, bad apple homebrew demo doesnt run. This is probably because the vb file is 7 mb as opposed to the usual .5 megabytes to 2 megabytes.

Last edited by Datbo,
Reactions: raxadian

splaca

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I haven't seen it being mentioned, but the low battery indicator works correctly as well!
(I now realize I could have taken a photo of my 3DS to show it was with low battery at the time, lol)

2024-03-01_15-06-29.680_top.png

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I haven't seen it being mentioned, but the low battery indicator works correctly as well!
(I now realize I could have taken a photo of my 3DS to show it was with low battery at the time, lol)

View attachment 423228
that a nice little detail

Yeah it is neat.

The game that works the best so far seems to be Virtual Boy Wario Land, that to be honest it is basically the best Virtual Boy official release.

It is however even easier that the GB Wario Land, probably due to the whole 15 minutes breaks thing. Even with playing it with no guide whatsoever it is really easy to find the hidden treasures with trial and error.

Definitely the kind of game I would have found way past cool as a kid since it took me months to finish GB Wario Land at 100% back then.

About hiding the Virtual Boy from Nintendo history; it seems to be mostly a Nintendo of America thing (And Europe thing). The Japanese Nintendo has no problem to reference it in the Smash Brothers series while the English releases censor it. Also Mario Clash shows as a mini game in the first Wario Ware game.

Sorry if I have been so negative about the Virtual Boy but the whole thing did happen when I was a kid and even the Club Nintendo magazine (Mexico and Latin America Nintendo magazine) couldn't sell me on the Virtual Boy. I was like why is everything in red? Then the thing was basically nowhere to find or test so I forgot about it until the whole finding Virtual Boy games in the Gameboy section in a mall thing years later.

Meanwhile the pictures of Super Mario 64 prototype in the magazine really hyped me about the game. Mario is in 3D! You can shot Mario from a cannon!

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
So 3D depth adjustment was possible after all?

It's sort of complicated. On 3DS, every game has to be programmed to understand the depth slider and adjust the projection by rendering things from different perspectives based on the slider position. In a stunning lack of foresight from Nintendo, Virtual Boy games were not programmed to handle the 3DS slider and there's nothing that can be done about that. In 3DS games, the depth slider is adjusting the distance between the nearest and furthest parts of the 3D image, but you can't do that on Virtual Boy where all the depths are pre-programmed.

Let's take a step back for a moment and look at 2D games. Nintendo officially released Game Boy and Game Boy Color titles via Virtual Console on the 3DS. If you hold Start or Select while booting a Game Boy (Color) VC, the console puts the border of an original Game Boy around the screen and in a 3D depth sense, moves the emulated Game Boy screen back slightly so it sits "below" the border (further away from the player) in the stereoscopic image. Game Boy games don't have to understand the depth slider to make that work, instead the emulator is responding to the depth slider by moving where that flat 2D screen is positioned.

Coming back to the Virtual Boy, that's also what Red Viper is doing. It can move the entire image forward or back, but the emulated game doesn't "know" anything about the 3D depth and is not adjusting to make far away things look further or close things look closer. The actual depth--the distance between the closest and furthest objects relative to each other--remains the same at all times, but using the slider, you're able to configure where in 3D space that image sits to make the whole thing closer or further away from you.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
While the game no longer crashes after the update, after a while playing 3D Tetris USA in an OLD 3ds the sound stops for the whole emulator, and loading another rom doesn't work. Also I wasn't allowed to quit the emulator, had to reset. Auto pause was turned off. Will try now with it turned on.

Edit: Apparently no problems with autopause turned on. Maybe it is a memory thing?

Last edited by raxadian,

JORGETECH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
It's sort of complicated. On 3DS, every game has to be programmed to understand the depth slider and adjust the projection by rendering things from different perspectives based on the slider position. In a stunning lack of foresight from Nintendo, Virtual Boy games were not programmed to handle the 3DS slider and there's nothing that can be done about that. In 3DS games, the depth slider is adjusting the distance between the nearest and furthest parts of the 3D image, but you can't do that on Virtual Boy where all the depths are pre-programmed.

Let's take a step back for a moment and look at 2D games. Nintendo officially released Game Boy and Game Boy Color titles via Virtual Console on the 3DS. If you hold Start or Select while booting a Game Boy (Color) VC, the console puts the border of an original Game Boy around the screen and in a 3D depth sense, moves the emulated Game Boy screen back slightly so it sits "below" the border (further away from the player) in the stereoscopic image. Game Boy games don't have to understand the depth slider to make that work, instead the emulator is responding to the depth slider by moving where that flat 2D screen is positioned.

Coming back to the Virtual Boy, that's also what Red Viper is doing. It can move the entire image forward or back, but the emulated game doesn't "know" anything about the 3D depth and is not adjusting to make far away things look further or close things look closer. The actual depth--the distance between the closest and furthest objects relative to each other--remains the same at all times, but using the slider, you're able to configure where in 3D space that image sits to make the whole thing closer or further away from you.
Thanks for the extensive explanation, now that I think of it that is exactly what I'm observing when trying the latest version, it moves the entire "screen space" forwards or backwards instead of all the shenanigans 3DS games do, however, I don't really care since that's exactly what I wanted, I prefer things to pop out from the 3DS screen rather than having more depth and the latest version made it better for me, now I'm really impressed by the 3D effect the IPD mode gives me and I wonder if it's closer to what the original console was doing (sadly, I never had the opportunity to try a real Virtual Boy, I just saw a broken one in person)

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PSA, if you have a complete MAME rom set, including softwarelist ones, the VB roms are good dumps. Just extract the rom from the zip, and name it something sane with a .vb extension.

koffieleut

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Did you download it from the homebrew for Virtual Boy site that we cannot link? The game was updated to work on real hardware but that doesn't mean it works in all emulators.
Yeah I found that one website, but I don't think the game is compatible at this time. Hopefully it will be in the future.

Thee_Stranger

Unknown Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is INCREDIBLE! :yay3ds:
Thank you so much to the developer, SkyFloogle, for finally making this dream into a reality. Accolades to Danielps as well, for laying the ground work. I wasn't sure if we were ever going to see this, and I honestly thought that it would be a much longer way out than now we it ever did. But, here we are. The 3DS has finally fulfilled its Virtual Console destiny. It always seemed like such a natural fit.

I've only played a genuine Virtual Boy one single time in my entire life. Many, many moons ago -- must have been '95 -- at a department store kiosk. Of course, the game was Mario Tennis. The device had a pretty lukewarm reception among the video gaming-inclined in my family. My brother being one... but particularly my father, who essentially bought every video game console/add-on that was commercially released in the 1990s. The Neo Geo & Virtual Boy stand as the only two exceptions to that rule. Anyway, I remember thinking when I sat down with it at that kiosk that this was probably going to be my only opportunity to ever experience it, since neither my big bro or Dad were really interested in it -- and neither was much of anyone else -- and it was a pretty pricey piece of tech at the time that was way too expensive for me to ask for, and not particularly practical as a "portable" device. I already had a Gameboy & Game Gear. But I remember thinking it was a pretty neat novelty, really enjoying the 3D effect (despite the eye-searing red hue), and secretly kind of wanting one. But indeed, that was my first and last experience with the Virtual Boy, until now, by way of 3DS proxy.

And you know what? The games are pretty damn fun! Okay, there's a few stinkers in there, too. But the thing was pretty much Dead On Arrival before it could actually get off the ground, so what can you expect? I've seen worse launch line-ups. And most of the games utilize the 3D to great effect. I happen to be one of the outliers that actually loves the 3DS' stereoscopic 3D, so I eat that stuff up with a spoon, and it's nice to get a healthy handful of new (to me) games that actually take care to incorporate the feature, because Nintendo and all the devs pretty much abandoned the 3DS' key feature long before the actual end of the handheld's lifespan. And, apart from that, the game library's just got a particularly nostalgic, mid-90s Nintendo "Play it Loud" aura to it that's hittin' right now.

Last edited by Thee_Stranger,

legofordman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's "theortical" about it? Nintendo themselves sold Super Mario Kart and other Mode 7 games on the eShop
I meant if Mode 7 SNES games could be playable on o3ds?

A Virtual Boy emulator for the 3DS, continuing danielps's work on r3Ddragon. It uses a dynamic recompiler with busywait detection and a hardware-accelerated renderer to achieve high performance on the 3DS's limited hardware.

Features​

• All officially licensed games are playable at full speed, even on the original 3DS
  • 3D support
  • Game saves are supported
  • Map either the A/B buttons or the right D-Pad to the face buttons, with the other being on the touch screen
  • Configurable face button mapping
  • Configurable color filter

Download​

To install, scan this QR code using FBI, in the "Remote Install" submenu:
View attachment 422822
Alternatively, a 3DSX or CIA can be downloaded from the GitHub repository, where the source code is also available.
Ok so I know the C-stick on the new 3ds can act like the right dpad, but on the old 3ds, the closest we have to that is the circle pad pro. Is the circle pad pro also supported?

Reactions: Tarmfot

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maxouter @ Maxouter: yo