Reggie Fils-Aime is now on the GameStop board of directors

GameStopLogo_.jpg

Is GameStop's body ready? Because former Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime has just been appointed to GameStop's board of directors. In a shakeup that sees the retirement of four members of GameStop's current board, Reggie, along with two others--William Simon, American CEO of Walmart, and James Symancyk, CEO of PetSmart--will be replacing them as of April 2020. The new members are a likely bid for GameStop to keep itself relevant after years of declining sales, and a current company-wide refresh that aims to make the company more desirable to shop at, especially with the next console generation quickly approaching.

GRAPEVINE, Texas, March 09, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- GameStop Corp. (NYSE: GME) today announced it has appointed three new independent members to its Board of Directors. Joining the Company’s Board are Reginald “Reggie” Fils-Aimé, William “Bill” Simon and James “J.K.” Symancyk. Mr. Simon and Mr. Symancyk’s appointments are effective immediately; Mr. Fils-Aimé’s appointment will be effective April 20, 2020. GameStop’s Board also announced a number of corporate governance enhancements, implementing new guidelines for Board tenure and Committee refreshment, also effective immediately.

The appointments of Messrs. Fils-Aimé, Simon and Symancyk to the GameStop Board are the result of a comprehensive search process led by the Board of Directors and involving shareholder input. After years of distinguished service, four directors – Dan DeMatteo, Gerald Szczepanski, Larry Zilavy and Steve Koonin – have decided to retire from the Board, effective in June 2020, and will not stand for re-election at the Company’s 2020 Annual Meeting of Stockholders. In addition, two current directors – Jerome Davis and Tom Kelly – have decided to retire from the Board, effective June 2021, and will not stand for re-election at the Company’s 2021 Annual Meeting. Kathy Vrabeck, GameStop’s Lead Independent Director, will succeed Mr. DeMatteo as Board Chair.

Following the 2020 Annual Meeting, the GameStop Board will be composed of ten directors, nine of whom will be independent and six of whom will have served on the Board for less than two years. Median director tenure will be one year, significantly reduced from the prior median director tenure of eight years. These changes represent key elements of a Board refreshment process initiated in early 2019.

Ms. Vrabeck said, “On behalf of the entire Board and management team, I would like to extend my deepest gratitude to Dan, Gerald, Larry and Steve for their significant contributions to GameStop. During their tenure, the Company has made important progress executing on our objective of becoming a leading omni-channel retailer with top market share in the gaming category, and we appreciate their thoughtful leadership, guidance and service. Looking ahead, we are excited about the progress our new leadership team has made to date. We are confident they will continue to accelerate the Company’s turnaround and transformation to drive shareholder value as they pursue opportunities to create meaningful entertainment experiences for our customers and enhance partnerships with gaming publishers and console and PC developers.”

George Sherman, GameStop’s CEO, said, “The Board refreshment and governance enhancements announced today represent an important milestone in GameStop’s transformation as we continue to evolve the Company’s business strategy for long-term success. We are pleased to welcome Reggie, Bill and J.K. to the Board. They are each highly qualified and bring significant, relevant experience to our turnaround. We look forward to immediately benefitting from their expertise and perspectives as we navigate the evolving gaming and retail environments, execute on our strategic initiatives and prepare the Company to maximize value-creation associated with the next generation of console launches later this year.”

:arrow: Source

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they're ten seconds long and consist of some random guy saying "BUY USED GAMES AND BUY OUR SHIT"
More likely a cheap skit no one finds funny followed by Reggie making a lot of hand motions while talking at 0.5x speed.

Then it cuts to 20 minutes of showing the same 3 items of GameStop merch at different angles.

Reactions: banjo2

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UM EXCUSE ME NO IT IS VERY DEFINITELY NOT
EVEN IGNORING HOW FALSE THAT STATEMENT IS WITH REFERENCE TO THE CONTEXT, SO MUCH TERRIBLE CRAP HAS HAPPENED THAT IF THIS IS THE BEST TIMELINE, I WOULD HATE TO SEE THE AVERAGE

Josshy? Is that you? Hast thou returned from your prodigal journey!?

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EVEN IGNORING HOW FALSE THAT STATEMENT IS WITH REFERENCE TO THE CONTEXT, SO MUCH TERRIBLE CRAP HAS HAPPENED THAT IF THIS IS THE BEST TIMELINE, I WOULD HATE TO SEE THE AVERAGE
Things could be worse, much worse

Of course things could be better too, but honestly all things considered we live in the best time so far to be a human being

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right now is the most peaceful time in all of recorded history. The worse time line is the one where we all were never born, because the cold war went hot. Sure things could be a bit better, but it could also be a lot worse.

Reactions: banjo2 and x65943

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right now is the most peaceful time in all of recorded history. The worse time line is the one where we all were never born, because the cold war went hot. Sure things could be a bit better, but it could also be a lot worse.
yes but this is definitely not the best timeline
the best timeline would be where humanity quickly developed into a peaceful global unity of a civilization, bigotry and prejudice were dispensed with early on and acceptance was the norm way before modern tech. Oh, and all basic necessities (nourishment, shelter, etc.) and all slightly less basic things that really should be human rights to have (decent living conditions, healthcare, accommodations of various other varieties) are fulfilled for almost everybody if not everybody due to widespread kindness and acceptance.
this is at best the average timeline

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes but this is definitely not the best timeline
the best timeline would be where humanity quickly developed into a peaceful global unity of a civilization, bigotry and prejudice were dispensed with early on and acceptance was the norm way before modern tech. Oh, and all basic necessities (nourishment, shelter, etc.) and all slightly less basic things that really should be human rights to have (decent living conditions, healthcare, accommodations of various other varieties) are fulfilled for almost everybody if not everybody due to widespread kindness and acceptance.
this is at best the average timeline
But, all that does not discount the fact that things are still the best they have been

It's wrong to say this is the worst timeline

Edit: also, stay on topic let's stop talking about things not related to Reggie

Make your own new thread

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gamestop killed Gamestop . Why pay $54.99 for a used game when brand new is $59.99 or even better I can get half the price on Ebay or Offerup. They are going bankrupt because of their bad business models.

Nobody shops there only for Black Friday LOL

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit: also, stay on topic let's stop talking about things not related to Reggie
k, but I do wonder if we're living in one of the worst time lines when it comes to gaming, lol.
Gamestop killed Gamestop
Their reputation isn't helping them self either. They're pretty well known or scum bag tactics, and ripping people off. Opening up brand new games, so they can charge you a higher used price. Forcing their employees to bombard you with shilling.

You can go to Wal-Mart and get a new game for 10 dollars less than Gamestop, and not have the employee ask you 10 times to get a Gamestop card, or pre-order this and that. Walmart also sells stuff you need along side of vidya, while Gamestop is surrounded by junk like Funko Pops, other random plastic shit. How is Gamestop supposed to even compete with that?

Reggie has a steep uphill battle if he expects to turn Gamestop around.

Last edited by Viri,
D

Deleted User

All the GameStop exclusivity deals he made while he was at Nintendo come to mind. He must have had this in the oven for a while.

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nothing could hurt at this point...

ill be sad if they go away, they're kinda like the last videogame retailer shop around

they remind me of Best Buy, but way more incompetent and understandably have earned being far more loathsome: people LOVE to hate them. With Best Buy I think they're great, I never need their salespeople 'expertise'

but if they go big box stores go fully extinct which aint great

--

Also every time I see Reggie's full name, I think of Chick Fil-A

Last edited by playstays_shun,
D

Deleted User

He convinced Nintendo to bundle Wii Sports. If it weren't for his ideas, the Wii could've become as obscure as the GameCube. I think he could help Gamestop figure out it's mess.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gamestop must have sent some amazing cocaine to convince Reggie to join at this hour. place is done, it's over. gamestop has had years of getting away with burning its bridges with me, and a lot of that was because they were the only choice to go for, for second-hand gaming gear. Gamestop is also famous for the abusive nature it has its employees, making many front line staff do managerial duties without actually paying them for the extra skills and pressuring unreasonable conditions.

Until any (preferably all) of this is addressed, there is nothing that can be done to see Gamestop file for bankruptcy and call it done.

Shape

Trophies
Website
codenametiger.com
XP
Country
United States
Reggie will probably revive gamestop by implementing a gamestop exclusivity deal system, kind of like the epic games store, where you can only get the game from them for X period of time, in exchange for paying the developer more upfront fees (And, let's be honest, he is a Ninto, he will probably fund some devs in exchange for exclusivity.)

I can't imagine he would hace difficulty convincing the rest of the board, I haven't been inside a gamestop in at least 2 years, and I *love* games. Their business model *needs* to change.

Also, I'm pretty sure Target is already using this tactic in regards to their 'exclusive toys'. Other major retailers are, as well. Reggie def. Knows the value of exclusivity.

P.s.
This isn't Reggie talking in third person. Promise.

Last edited by Shape,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Is funny, every week he cries and says that ot