Reggie Fils-Aime to leave GameStop's board of directors

reggie.jpg

Just about a year ago, the former Nintendo of America CEO Reggie Fils-Aime set his sights on GameStop, joining the retail chain's board of directors. It looks like Reggie is moving on already, though, with the announcement that he plans to leave before the end of 2021. Currently, GameStop has had a wild year, making the headlines consistently throughout the fallout regarding Wallstreetbets and the GME stock battle, a disappointing fiscal year report, and now the retirement of Reggie, and eight other senior board members. While an exact date of departure hasn't been given, it's expected that he'll be leaving sometime around June, when GameStop will be having its annual shareholders meeting.

:arrow: Source

Jevil_DS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Just about a year ago, the former Nintendo of America CEO Reggie Fils-Aime set his sights on GameStop, joining the retail chain's board of directors. It looks like Reggie is moving on already, though, with the announcement that he plans to leave before the end of 2021. Currently, GameStop has had a wild year, making the headlines consistently throughout the fallout regarding Wallstreetbets and the GME stock battle, a disappointing fiscal year report, and now the retirement of Reggie, and eight other senior board members. While an exact date of departure hasn't been given, it's expected that he'll be leaving sometime around June, when GameStop will be having its annual shareholders meeting.

:arrow: Source
Honestly, we need reggie back at nintendo, ever since he left nintendo has been on a flat but slippery slope down hill.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I loved Reggie almost as much as I loved Iwata. why did he leave Nintendo to begin with though? I've never gotten that story.

DerpDingus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ya'll asking for him to return to Nintendo. He won't, as probably he signed out for a handsome send-off.

And don't forget that Nintendo is now what he and Hiwata built. An aggressive company towards its fans, sellers of overpriced re-releases and borderline autistic to the current online world.
I was under the impression that Satoru Iwata was against all the cooperate bullshit. He even fought against the idea of Nintendo getting into the mobile phone game nonsense

Reactions: 64bitmodels

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
well theres always those ma and pa video game shops (we have 2 here) after gamestop goes bust their business will thrive
Will they though?

New games wise.
I can't imagine new games make the most and the likes of Amazon and big box shops can drive down profits to almost nothing there.
Every big pub and their mother has grey label/classics/1 year later rerelease cheapo editions and goes after independent games that show even the vaguest amount of popularity and staying power.
Said online and big box shops have all the stock of new consoles and peripherals.
Second hand games. With the shift to online (never mind if someone does pull their finger out and do game streaming properly) and people having their own accounts on ebay/amazon/local tat merchant and I am not predicting any kind of lawmaker or consumer revolt will give us the option to trade online games any time soon (not that it would help them) then that is also a limited market. Crying shame really but it is what it is.
Retro and import might be a thing but it is a fickle market and also a fairly decent barrier to entry, one ebay and co will stomp all over -- how much would you bet on your local shop having something vs online where I don't even have to get out of the chair? This is also before the big crash when someone properly figures out repros.
Repair and minor league upgrades might be a thing but there is only so much you can do there (not like we have a fix for 360 RRoD or PS3 YLOD, laser assemblies for PS2 and back are rather hard to come by these days. Though maybe the same thing that will see the repro market blow up will also see a laser replacement or three made), and skills and tooling cost is not inconsiderable either (maybe they can also fix phones).

Nobody makes any real money being an arcade, hang out spot or competitions (assuming you are allowed in the same room as someone else any time soon).

That then leaves the gamestop model of getting what little you can from the markets above* and also selling old phones/tablets/laptops and whatever posters/cards/plastic junk sell to keep their coffers at least somewhat full, that and the high pressure sales tactics.

*and I am sure if gamestop, or whatever chain takes over from them, wanted they could do a search for all mid reviewed future hidden gems ( https://towardsdatascience.com/predicting-hit-video-games-with-ml-1341bd9b86b0 https://nycdatascience.com/blog/student-works/analysis-of-video-game-sales-from-1980-2016/ ), buy them up, warehouse them centrally somewhere and have them able to be ordered in for any shop overnight/two days far better than ma and pa doing the same thing.

Even if a ma and pa shop can make a go of it there is no reason another company without gamestop's baggage of debt, poor takeovers, failing locations, potentially customer dislike and whatever else, that can afford to do the business analysis, can have a massive inventory somewhere that can be distributed very quickly to have whatever you want.

Daggot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that everyone is having a good giggle over this but I gotta ruin the fun and be serious for a moment. Sites like IGN reporting that he's leaving "After just one year" are doing some irresponsible reporting IMO. Reggie's agreed-upon contract is over, As a part of the revitalization efforts for Gamestop they have a 10 person board of former CEOs that only have a term of 1 year and are replaced at the end of their terms. Reggie agreed to join the board of directors for GameStop to take part in this project back in 2020 to help them through a rough spot and he ended up serving as a director through one of their hardest years and leaving when his contract was up. There is nothing more or less to it. Former PetSmart CEO/President James Symancyk and former Wallmart US Ceo/President William Simon have terms coming up soon as well. Gamestop plans to always have 10 people on the board and to cycle the members every year to bring in new ideas.

https://archive.is/hnF3A

Last edited by Daggot,

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
GME dropped to 120 but then soared back to 200 on Friday again, if all those executives left Gamestop, will be 3rd Short squeeze??

GME TO THE MOON!

Reactions: Cubuss

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
GME dropped to 120 but then soared back to 200 on Friday again, if all those executives left Gamestop, will be 3rd Short squeeze??

GME TO THE MOON!

You can see the volumes
http://shortvolumes.com/?t=GME
I imagine most of the original institutional short sellers that got stung hard have divested (that is to say sold off) by now, though there still look to be some above, and as it is now one of the most famous volatile stocks in history (certainly recent history) they are probably not quite as invested as they once were (and it would likely have to go absolutely bananas from here to get more margin calls). Don't know what total volume percentages are going either which was part of the problem last time. https://www.barchart.com/stocks/quotes/GME/overview for some other info here.

I should also note this is board members and not executives. There is a fairly important distinction. Probably best to avoid offending either set if you are a lowly peon in a company and wanting to keep your job (possibly if your diamond hands clenched so hard you got rather less valuable diamond dust and are now broke)

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Ya'll asking for him to return to Nintendo. He won't, as probably he signed out for a handsome send-off.

And don't forget that Nintendo is now what he and Hiwata built. An aggressive company towards its fans, sellers of overpriced re-releases and borderline [stupid] to the current online world.

Please don't use autism as an insult, kay?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good afternoon