Homebrew [Release] freeShop - open source eShop alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubzilla34

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So its perfectly fine to update from eshop? I chose smash to play and said I needed to update. Was spooked and couldn't return to the home menu. Right now I'm downloading the update from official eshop. Is it fine? if it isn't could I just delete the game from freeshop redownload it and update through freeshop instead eshop?

TheCruel

Developer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Updating from eShop has worked for people so far. It's a bit more risky to download titles not tied to your NNID though. But still, no bans have been reported.

chubzilla34

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Updating from eShop has worked for people so far. It's a bit more risky to download titles not tied to your NNID though. But still, no bans have been reported.

Alright captian, I'm just say screw it and risk it. Incase something does happen like ban or brick I'm able to get unbanned or unbricked with the back ups?

MarioMasta64

hi. i make batch stuff and portable shiz
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
VljLxOM.png
s3Y2DDd.png

https://freeshop.pw

This is homebrew software designed to imitate Nintendo's eShop. It allows you to browse and search games, and download ones you own (i.e. games for which you have the titlekey).

Usage:
1. Install the CIA file on your CFW of choice (preferably one removing region restrictions). Do NOT ask about CFW issues in this thread.
2. Put an encTitleKeys.bin file in the directory sdmc:/3ds/data/freeShop/keys/ or go to update settings in freeShop and add a URL to auto-download (recommended).
3. Launch freeShop and enjoy.

This is perhaps over-simplified. I'll be more thorough later. This is mostly for linux, building on Windows will be difficult.

1. Install devkitARM, including ctrulib and citro3d.

2. Build cpp3ds. This script shows how to build it on ubuntu. This includes downloading precompiled portlibs/tools. (if you use Arch it's on AUR)

3. Set CPP3DS env variable to the dir with cpp3ds build (containing lib/include dirs)

4. Build/install libarchive (to portlibs dir) and freeShop as detailed in this script.

FAQs

Q: Do I need a CFW for this?
A: Yes.

Q: Is there a 3dsx version?
A: No, and with the elevated permissions needed, it's not worth the trouble.

Q: Why are games missing? They're on the eShop.
A: It only shows games for which you have the title key (dumped to encTitleKeys.bin). And even then some games won't show because they're not cached server-side (this will eventually change).

Q: Why does freeShop show DLC as installed when I don't have it?
A: All DLC is lumped together with the same title id, so even partial installs will show it as installed. If you're missing DLC, just delete it and reinstall it. If eShop partially installed it, or you previously purchased some DLC through eShop on that console, you may lose the DLC freeShop installs when you revisit eShop. This is currently unavoidable.

Q: Can freeShop download while sleeping?
A: Not yet. It's currently unknown how to go into sleep mode without interrupting network services.

Q: Can I download games of any region?
A: Depends on your CFW. Most of them allow it, including the popular Luma3DS.

Q: Is this safe? Will I get banned/sued for using this?
A: Even modding your console's software/firmware runs legal risks. But like running freeShop, the risk is minimal. If you make sure to only install games you've purchased, then you remain in a safer legal grey area. And there is no way for Nintendo to know which client IP owns which games. That would requires some analytic guesswork, potentially resulting in many false-positive bans. Not likely to happen and none have been reported.

Q: Why don't I have any friends?
A: You should get out more.

Troubleshooting

I keep getting "Failed to install seed" errors.
You likely have a FW version < 9.6 and therefore cannot play newer games that utilize crypto seeds. You can fix this with a FW update.

I keep getting "Wrong title key" errors.
You're probably not using correct encrypted keys (encTitleKeys.bin). Decrypted keys will give this error.

I keep getting "Failed to finalize TMD install: 0xC86044D2".
The system is reporting that you don't have enough space on your SD card to install the game. If it's a DSiWare game, then it's your NAND that doesn't have the space.

I keep getting "Failed to finalize content install: 0xD8E08025".
There are many possible reasons for this. But one known diagnosis is a possible SD card problem. For example, a fake SD card who is reporting space available while it's actually full will often give this error. Double-check your SD card.

I get error code 0xD8A08004
This happens with the installation state gets screwed up. You have to reboot the console to get rid of it. If you consistently get this, report how so the bug can be fixed.

congrats on the fuck nintendo edition xD

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

actually theyre should be no problem at all since even without an nnid you can purchase titles. and also the tickets are installed so the updates wont detect it. and the public headers are correct unlike the gateway card. plus it uses the 3ds's built in downloader for retrieving games so any traffic will essentially see it as downloading a game from eshop. but if youre truly unsettled try tikshop. me i probably run the highest chance for ban as i use it to download japanese applications. btw you already risk ban for modifying the system

Alright captian, I'm just say screw it and risk it. Incase something does happen like ban or brick I'm able to get unbanned or unbricked with the back ups?
depends, if its an nnid ban youll have to inject someone elses friendlist (forgot what its called) and youll have to make a new nnid so thats the farthest it goes

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
and the public headers are correct unlike the gateway card
Uh.. no, CIAs don't use headers. 3DS files (cart dumps) do.
btw you already risk ban for modifying the system
Not really. Running the Homebrew Channel (without arm9loaderhax) cannot be detected by Nintendo and still counts as a modification.

MarioMasta64

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States

Not really. Running the Homebrew Channel (without arm9loaderhax) cannot be detected by Nintendo and still counts as a modification.
it can, after all they did it with the wii, youd be suprised at how much they can patch.

MarioMasta64

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States

a9lh has actually been patched before (at least the older versions)
How may I do that ? Should I install the encTitleKeys file somehow ? Sorry if it's a noob question, i'm not familiar with this ticket/title/keys thingy.
-null-

Last edited by MarioMasta64,

pixelmasher

Gaming Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean?
Use something like CDN-FX or CIAngel to download just the ticket. There are two tickets for themes for US region. I think 3 for EU and 5 for JP. Once you have the ticket, you can go in themeshop and download the ones you want. I did notice on my old systems, it would delete the tickets if I visited certain pages in themeshop. If you want to avoid that just use Howling Theme Tool or CHMM2.

Reactions: Senpaige

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Themeshop?

Do we need to install the ticket again after we deleted the theme pack? I already downloaded the 400+ themes and then noticed I cannot use them because they are too much. So I deleted them. Do I still have the ticket installed?

Last edited by naddel81,

natinusala

Win32 error 31 is not an error
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I did the same thing as you did and the tickets didn't stay. I'll try to use CIAngel to download the tickets this evening when I get back from work. I'll let you know if it works.

Reactions: naddel81

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did the same thing as you did and the tickets didn't stay. I'll try to use CIAngel to download the tickets this evening when I get back from work. I'll let you know if it works.

would be great to hear from you!

can tikshop be used for only installing theme tickets?

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, it works (theme installing) now. First I deleted all the designs I had using data management. Then I installed the tickets (press L in CIAngel to not install the CIA, just the tickets).
Then you can navigate to Themeshop and install the themes you like. Unfortunately navigating there is almost as slow as the Wii U's menu was on launch day.
User interface the "nintendo way" :(

natinusala

Win32 error 31 is not an error
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Okay thanks for the feedback :) the slowness matches what I was expecting from Nintendo... The eShop is very slow to initialize and navigate too. I don't think that it comes from the tickets either.

Or maybe Nintendo didn't expect users to own all the 556 themes, hence the slow loadings

Laito1337

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I can only download the demos for Yo-Kai Watch in my freeshop, despite literally just having downloaded a new encTitleKeys.bin? Why is that the case? Is my .bin not up-to-date, maybe? What URL should I enter to auto-update, what's the best option here? If you can't talk about it publicly, shoot me a PM. Thanks in advance.

Alex S

Creator Of WWHDM, And Metroid Fusion XER0X!
Trophies
Website
www.erm.wut
XP
Country
United States
it can, after all they did it with the wii, youd be suprised at how much they can patch.

All they did was scan for the homebrew channel and if they found it, they just said "unauthorized channels found, deleting" and you could just reinstall again with letterbomb.

Reactions: Xiphiidae
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Very accurate.