Homebrew [Release] PicoDrive for 3DS

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Well, this caters to the CIA version, whose relative folder is always in the root of the SD card. So I thought I might as well keep the BIOS in a fixed folder. And furthermore, I always thought that the HBL prefers that the 3dsx files exists in the same folder name as its file name, no?
The thing is that the limitation on the Homebrew Launcher that all apps have to be in /3ds is long since gone. You can place the app folder (e.g. picodrive_3ds) anywhere you like on the SD card, and navigate to and launch it using the Homebrew Launcher. For me, this means I have separate homebrew folders for games, emulators and system tools. But if a homebrew uses hardcoded directories, you're kind of stuck dropping it in /3ds since all its required files will be in there. Technically, I can still have PicoDrive in /3ds/Emulators/picodrive_3ds and store my BIOS files in /3ds/picodrive_3ds/bios, but then my /3ds directory will include the folders /3ds/Emulators, /3ds/Games, /3ds/picodrive_3ds and /3ds/System.

Obviously it's completely up to you where the files should go, I wouldn't presume to tell you how to make your software. Personally, I think the most convenient thing for me (and which preserves the current behavior for CIA users) would be if PicoDrive behavior was "find BIOS files in /3ds/picodrive/bios; if not found, try in bios (relative to current executable)". But again, I'm just one user, I don't know whether anyone else would want this, and if not it's probably not worth the effort.

Last edited by Vague Rant,

PvD79

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you using an old 3DS or a new 3DS? 32X games shouldn't freeze the emulator... whether you are using the 3DSX or the CIA versions. Obviously the 3DSX version will run very slowly, and it's worse on an old 3DS.

32X games will only play well on a new 3DS launched the CIA version of PicoDrive. :)

New 3ds using ninja with 11.6. I finally broke down and ordered a flash cart that will enable me to install cia. This is my go-to travel emulator thanks to you :D

Reactions: bubble2k16

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
The thing is that the limitation on the Homebrew Launcher that all apps have to be in /3ds is long since gone. You can place the app folder (e.g. picodrive_3ds) anywhere you like on the SD card, and navigate to and launch it using the Homebrew Launcher. For me, this means I have separate homebrew folders for games, emulators and system tools. But if a homebrew uses hardcoded directories, you're kind of stuck dropping it in /3ds since all its required files will be in there. Technically, I can still have PicoDrive in /3ds/Emulators/picodrive_3ds and store my BIOS files in /3ds/picodrive_3ds/bios, but then my /3ds directory will include the folders /3ds/Emulators, /3ds/Games, /3ds/picodrive_3ds and /3ds/System.

Obviously it's completely up to you where the files should go, I wouldn't presume to tell you how to make your software. Personally, I think the most convenient thing for me (and which preserves the current behavior for CIA users) would be if PicoDrive behavior was "find BIOS files in /3ds/picodrive/bios; if not found, try in bios (relative to current executable)". But again, I'm just one user, I don't know whether anyone else would want this, and if not it's probably not worth the effort.

I see. I'll take note of it. Thanks for sharing that HBL no longer requires apps to be under /3ds/, I've been doing that since I Ninjhax-ed my 3DS so I had no idea any other way was possible. :)

But I'll attend to this only when I really have that time for it. Right now, I'm probably more keen in looking into the crashes for 32X games.... which my gut feel tells me is going to a long battle with bugs in the dynarec. :unsure:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

New 3ds using ninja with 11.6. I finally broke down and ordered a flash cart that will enable me to install cia. This is my go-to travel emulator thanks to you :D

Just for 32X games? I have to warn that not all 32X games will work well though. Virtual Racing Deluxe, and Virtual Fighter seems to do an ARM 11 crash. :nayps3:Must be some nasty dynarec bug, or some self-modifying code that's causing that.

Last edited by bubble2k16,
Reactions: Vague Rant

MKKhanzo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you mean recording a movie? Hmm probably not.

Well yes and no. Basically is an controller input recorder, so I can play it back while I record th3 screen with a camera or something. This is used mostly for speedruns and stuff like that.

The emulator will NOT try tp record or render video, just the control inputs you press and when you end, it records them as a small file. When given the playback order, ot just "replays" what you recorded back.

Thanks for the new version!!!

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
@bubble2k16 Blackthorne 32x crashed for me when I used a hornet bomb on the first barrier power generator

Did it work properly with the Retroarch version of PicoDrive? Seems like that is some inherent bug with the dynarec as I mentioned.

Well yes and no. Basically is an controller input recorder, so I can play it back while I record th3 screen with a camera or something. This is used mostly for speedruns and stuff like that.

The emulator will NOT try tp record or render video, just the control inputs you press and when you end, it records them as a small file. When given the playback order, ot just "replays" what you recorded back.

Thanks for the new version!!!

Oh I see what you mean. Well no plans for that now.

Reactions: MKKhanzo

PvD79

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see. I'll take note of it. Thanks for sharing that HBL no longer requires apps to be under /3ds/, I've been doing that since I Ninjhax-ed my 3DS so I had no idea any other way was possible. :)

But I'll attend to this only when I really have that time for it. Right now, I'm probably more keen in looking into the crashes for 32X games.... which my gut feel tells me is going to a long battle with bugs in the dynarec. :unsure:

Just for 32X games? I have to warn that not all 32X games will work well though. Virtual Racing Deluxe, and Virtual Fighter seems to do an ARM 11 crash. :nayps3:Must be some nasty dynarec bug, or some self-modifying code that's causing that.

Just 32x games. Can’t get any to work. All freeze the unit with a black screen. Everything else works.

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Just 32x games. Can’t get any to work. All freeze the unit with a black screen. Everything else works.

Just curious: which OS version are you on? 11.6 I presume?

Also, are you using Luma3DS and Boot9Strap? If you are using the latest of Luma3DS, it should work.

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Wouldn't work for me either, until I put the 32X ROMs in the PicoDrive BIOS folder. Some games work better than others... Mortal Kombat II only draws some layers, so you get crappy Genesis backgrounds and invisible fighters.

Also, 32X games aren't even recognized until their extensions are changed to GEN or another supported by PicoDrive. 32X as an extension won't work; PD won't even see them.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't work for me either, until I put the 32X ROMs in the PicoDrive BIOS folder. Some games work better than others... Mortal Kombat II only draws some layers, so you get crappy Genesis backgrounds and invisible fighters.

Also, 32X games aren't even recognized until their extensions are changed to GEN or another supported by PicoDrive. 32X as an extension won't work; PD won't even see them.
.32x extenstion works here

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal

That's odd... And that's using the 3DSX or CIA version on a new 3DS? What's the frame rate you are getting on these 32X games?

And you are sure that you got the v0.93 version of PicoDrive for 3DS?

zhuwz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Thanks for the update. Excellent work!

Now the JE roms can run as Japanese version with correct game and music speed by default. It will be better if we can choose console region freely for some JE and World roms. There is no need for specifying framerate to 50 or 60 fps if we can determine the console region.

The sound quality is also improved a lot. I can feel it is already better than Retroarch. However I still feel the background music for Streets of Rage (world version) is somehow incorrect. Maybe it is also the speed issue.

I am also curious that when running SEGA CD games, your emulator sometimes shows 1 or 2 frames skipped (although I cannot feel actual frame skipping during game play), while RetroArch Picodrive can stabilize at 59.8338 fps all the time. I believe your emulator is more efficient than RetroArch Picodrive.

I also tested some 32X games. I am impressed that some games, such as Kunckles Chaotix can run in full speed. Other games often run in 40 to 50+ fps with 10 to 30+ frameskip. Is New3ds powerful enough to run most 32X games in full speed with lower sampling rate?

Reactions: bubble2k16

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
That's odd... And that's using the CIA version on a new 3DS? What's the frame rate you are getting on these 32X games?
Thanks for the update. Excellent work!

Now the JE roms can run as Japanese version with correct game and music speed by default. It will be better if we can choose console region freely for some JE and World roms. There is no need for specifying framerate to 50 or 60 fps if we can determine the console region.

The sound quality is also improved a lot. I can feel it is already better than Retroarch. However I still feel the background music for Streets of Rage (world version) is somehow incorrect. Maybe it is also the speed issue.

I am also curious that when running SEGA CD games, your emulator sometimes shows 1 or 2 frames skipped (although I cannot feel actual frame skipping during game play), while RetroArch Picodrive can stabilize at 59.8338 fps all the time. I believe your emulator is more efficient than RetroArch Picodrive.

I also tested some 32X games. I am impressed that some games, such as Kunckles Chaotix can run in full speed. Other games often run in 40 to 50+ fps with 10 to 30+ frameskip. Is New3ds powerful enough to run most 32X games in full speed with lower sampling rate?

For the console region, I think I'll still keep this at 50/60 FPS. :)

As for SEGA CD games, sometimes it needs to spend time reading music data from CD while playing music, and that causes the frame to take longer to run. But if the game is able to hold consistently at 59-61 FPS, you can try to go to the settings to set the Frameskip to Disabled. It may just feel a wee bit smoother.

As for 32X games, the New 3DS is actually not powerful enough to run 32X games, because in 32X games, the New3DS has to emulate 4 processors, 2 of which are running at a crazy 23 Mhz. So lower sampling rate isn't going to help there unfortunately. :)

Reactions: MKKhanzo

zhuwz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
For the console region, I think I'll still keep this at 50/60 FPS. :)

As for SEGA CD games, sometimes it needs to spend time reading music data from CD while playing music, and that causes the frame to take longer to run. But if the game is able to hold consistently at 59-61 FPS, you can try to go to the settings to set the Frameskip to Disabled. It may just feel a wee bit smoother.

As for 32X games, the New 3DS is actually not powerful enough to run 32X games, because in 32X games, the New3DS has to emulate 4 processors, 2 of which are running at a crazy 23 Mhz. So lower sampling rate isn't going to help there unfortunately. :)

Okay. Will you kindly consider adding region selection while keep the 50/60 fps options? Thanks a million.:yay:

kathy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I get the CD audio working for something like Sonic Megamix? It came packaged with a bunch of .mp3 files.
edit: never mind, i think it might just be a broken feature?

Last edited by kathy,
D

Deleted User

How do I get the CD audio working for something like Sonic Megamix? It came packaged with a bunch of .mp3 files.
edit: never mind, i think it might just be a broken feature?
I don´t think PicoDrive for 3DS supports the MP3 Audio format.

Edit: @bubble2k16 below are some glitches from games beginning with A, tested with PicoDrive for 3DS Version 0.93.

• Arcus Odyssey (J & U): I noticed some Sprite flickering during the first Level.

Attachments

• Arcus Odyssey (J) [!].b001.jpg
    Arcus Odyssey (J) [!].b001.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 296
Last edited by ,

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's odd... And that's using the 3DSX or CIA version on a new 3DS? What's the frame rate you are getting on these 32X games?

And you are sure that you got the v0.93 version of PicoDrive for 3DS?

Yes, it's 0.93. No, it doesn't recognize 32x as an extension. I'm not sure why.

As for frame rates, it varies wildly. I don't think any of the games run at full speed on my New 3DS XL, but Afterburner II, Pitfall, Knuckles Chaotix, WWF Arcade, and Space Harrier run best. They claim to skip anywhere from five to eleven frames, but the gameplay seems smoother than that. Mortal Kombat II has the problems described earlier. Cosmic Carnage crashes about fifteen seconds into a fight. Star Wars chugs (not surprisingly) but hasn't crashed yet. Blackthorne crashes right away.

I could try re-downloading the emulator and maybe the 32X BIOS files. You'd think that the games wouldn't run at all if the BIOS files were the problem, but eh, you never know.

EDIT: Downloaded the emulator again using a QR code in FBI. Seems to work better than it had... characters are showing up in MKII the way they're supposed to!

Last edited by ArugulaZ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la