Homebrew [RELEASE] TWLTool - DSi downgrading, save injection, etc multitool

OctopusRift

GBATemp's Local Octopus, Open 9am-2am. "Not Yet"
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Hey, I know that probably no one will use this forum anymore but I need help, I don't actually know what to do or how to work this can someone please help u really need to downgrade my dsi because my iedge card won't work, I'm only 13 and don't understand what I'm supposed to do with this tool and I really want my iedge card to work again
Take apart your DSi and follow the guide on the first page lol.

nocash123

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Yes, follow the guide on first page - the important part is that you'll need a soldering iron, and some small screwdriver that more or less fits the Y-shaped screwheads.

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@Jeliwickle

I literally wrote the guide on this, so believe me when I say that if you're a 13 year old with no soldering experience, I can practically guarantee that you're going to ruin your DSi. Go talk to someone at your local cell phone repair shop, they'd likely be willing to help you out. Or, if you're lucky enough to have a friend or family member that's at least an electronics technician, take it to them. The points you need to solder on your console are no place to be starting your soldering practice.

If you absolutely must do it yourself, take apart some old VCRs or DVD players and get a nice 35W soldering iron with a pencil tip, some leaded solder, and some good soldering rosin flux. Plumping flux won't cut it, it's acidic and will eat away at your circuit board and passive components over time. Also get a pair of simple magnifying jeweler's glasses, they're important when you're a novice trying to work on SMD components. Oh, and safety glasses are important too.

Get as much practice as you can removing and reattaching components, and make sure you do it in a well ventilated room, as the flux fumes are harmful to your health in larger quantities.

Here's some videos I've archived on soldering that may help you get started.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/80gmyc0e6jl14vr/PACE_Soldering_Videos.zip

Password: gbatemp

Whichever you choose, I wish you the best of luck, and I hope those resources help if you choose to learn how to solder.

Last edited by Gadorach,

PS1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a console with version 1.4.5E
Do I need games The Biggest Loser, Exidia and Sudoku?
From what I read Fieldrunner doesn't work on a EUR console
PS: Do I have to solder in all sites of the board?

Last edited by PS1,

Wack0

Trophies
XP
Country
Are you guys still looking for grtpwn? I happen to have the save (for EUR) on my DSi...

edit: Attached grtpwn (EUR) :)

Attachments

• GRTPwn EUR.zip
    76.6 KB · Views: 134
Last edited by Wack0,
Reactions: Gadorach

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
So...how exactly do I extract boot2 from TWL_FIRM? Tried feeding it verious files. CXI of TWL_FIRM...Nope... code.bin of TWL_FIRM....Nope....twlBg....Nope....twlBg's .code...Nope.

I'm out of ideas. What form does it expect TWL_FIRM to be in? I either get empty files, twlTool hangs, or outputs garbage. :(

Assuming I get it extracted, does this too support encrypting it back? Gonna try tossing in DSi boot2 to see if I can get retail launcher to boot since I have all the other requirements for it to work. (got valid tickets generated for system titles since I was able to complete a system update in DSi System Settings. So pretty sure twln partition has the stuff retail launcher should expect. Only thing that don't work is DSi eShop. :P )

EDIT: Nevermind. Bootloader for boot2 is near the end of .code of twlBg....Kinda wish twlTool was at least smart enough to sniff it out of a decrypted twl_firm CXI. Extracting it manually is not fun. :P

With that taken care of, boot2 for TWL_FIRM is nearly a third the size of DSi boot2. Well there goes my dreams of injecting DSi boot2 into TWL_FIRM. There's a little data after the bootloader and anything larger will cause that to be offsetted and will break twlBg's .code since what ever was after bootloader won't work. :(

Last edited by Apache Thunder,

BastarB

Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe I dont get the whole picture about all this, but does this make it possible to somehow install a European or American dsi xl systemmenu on my japanese dsi so the system will be in English instead of Japanese and therefore at the same time change to another region (E or U)??:)

Gadorach

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Maybe I dont get the whole picture about all this, but does this make it possible to somehow install a European or American dsi xl systemmenu on my japanese dsi so the system will be in English instead of Japanese and therefore at the same time change to another region (E or U)??:)
No one has, to my knowledge, tried to do that yet.

BastarB

Trophies
XP
Country
No one has, to my knowledge, tried to do that yet.

Ah ok, well Im so extremely curios to see if it works. Maybe I should risk/sacrifice my japanese dsi to test it since it was crazy cheap for me. I wonder which steps may be neccesary for achiveing this thou? Think I need to read this thread in more detail:)

Gadorach

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ah ok, well Im so extremely curios to see if it works. Maybe I should risk/sacrifice my japanese dsi to test it since it was crazy cheap for me. I wonder which steps may be neccesary for achiveing this thou? Think I need to read this thread in more detail:)
As you'd be installing a hardware NAND reader either way, there would not be a brick risk. You'd simply flash a working backup onto the console if you failed.

BastarB

Trophies
XP
Country
As you'd be installing a hardware NAND reader either way, there would not be a brick risk. You'd simply flash a working backup onto the console if you failed.

Ah, ofcourse youre right, thanks. I wonder if I will be able to run the biggest loser exploit on my DSi on my japanese DSi since the exploit is for E and U releases of the game. I know that the DSi arent region locked when it comes to retail games, but does the same apply to retail games that actually has DSi exclusive features like biggest loser? Will it still work on my Japanese DSi XL with DSi features if the game is E or U region?

windwakr

Trophies
Website
windwakr.github.io
XP
Country
United States
Ah, ofcourse youre right, thanks. I wonder if I will be able to run the biggest loser exploit on my DSi on my japanese DSi since the exploit is for E and U releases of the game. I know that the DSi arent region locked when it comes to retail games, but does the same apply to retail games that actually has DSi exclusive features like biggest loser? Will it still work on my Japanese DSi XL with DSi features if the game is E or U region?

DSi enhanced and DSi exclusive games are region locked.

BastarB

Trophies
XP
Country
DSi enhanced and DSi exclusive games are region locked.

Damn, but I suspected that in the first place!

You may have to use a RaspberryPi V1 Model A/B with 3DS unbricker to retrieve your CID in this case. There's no region restriction when using the RPi.

Ok, so Im really forced to use a V1 Pi, any newer Pi versions wont work?

Gadorach

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok, so Im really forced to use a V1 Pi, any newer Pi versions wont work?
If you understand kernel programming then you could port the code to newer hardware models, but as it stands, the code is only written for the V1 Pi.

There was an attempt to build code for the arduino at one point, but it was never finished. If you understand arduino programming, then that's another possibility I guess. I personally don't have the time to update the program myself, though I have the skills. If you decide to do it, I'll be happy to help you along when I do have time.

Last edited by Gadorach,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: After watching, that I feel like I'm on them already +1