ROM Hack [Release] Ultimate GBA VC Injector for 3DS

Add the feature to patch already existing GBA CIAs to modify ghosting and color options?

• Yes

Votes: 73 82.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don't care!

Votes: 14 15.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Asdolo

the Hedgehog
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Argentina
So, I have a pretty strange problem...
After creating and installing a few CIAs with your injector, NONE of my GBA CIAs (including those made with a different injector) work. They just give a black screen. I'm certain I haven't done anything to AGB_FIRM in the meantime that would have caused the issue.
Are you using the last Luma version?
Are you using emunand?

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I have a pretty strange problem...
After creating and installing a few CIAs with your injector, NONE of my GBA CIAs (including those made with a different injector) work. They just give a black screen. I'm certain I haven't done anything to AGB_FIRM in the meantime that would have caused the issue.
Did you modify AGB Firm before and are now using Luma3DS? Because that sounds like the problem you're having. :P

Cornholio309

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm noticing a rather bizarre issue with this CIA creator where it's seemingly generating the save file type incorrectly or something similar. I'm not quite sure how to explain this properly, so feel free to ask for further clarification on my end:

A while ago, a user on /r/3dshacks had asked for my older tutorial (which I had planned on updating now that this tool was released). He trying to create his own CIAs that save properly and couldn't find information online, so I linked him to this tutorial and my tutorial on how to fix a ROM with GBA Tool Advance. The games he had converted was the GBA release of Lego Racers 2, Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure, and Crash Bandicoot 2: N-Tranced.

He came back to me stating there was an issue with his CIAs where they wouldn't save and it sounded as if he was following every step correctly. Curiously, I went ahead and tried making two Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure CIAs with this tool. One was the original ROM with no edits whatsoever or any patches applied. The other was with a SRAM patch.

The issue is that both CIAs do not record progress. This was an issue with the original game I stumbled upon. However, by applying the SRAM patch with GBA Tool Advance, and then using the patched ROM to generate a footer, I was able to save fine. This tool doesn't seem to save properly even if I make sure I'm using the patched ROM and set the SRAM type properly. This wouldn't happen with the original footer tool and it would properly save progress with this exact same information given to it.

Any ideas if this can be looked into? I assume games with an already compatible save type work fine, but others such as Crash seem to be messy.

Asdolo

the Hedgehog
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Argentina
I'm noticing a rather bizarre issue with this CIA creator where it's seemingly generating the save file type incorrectly or something similar. I'm not quite sure how to explain this properly, so feel free to ask for further clarification on my end:

A while ago, a user on /r/3dshacks had asked for my older tutorial (which I had planned on updating now that this tool was released). He trying to create his own CIAs that save properly and couldn't find information online, so I linked him to this tutorial and my tutorial on how to fix a ROM with GBA Tool Advance. The games he had converted was the GBA release of Lego Racers 2, Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure, and Crash Bandicoot 2: N-Tranced.

He came back to me stating there was an issue with his CIAs where they wouldn't save and it sounded as if he was following every step correctly. Curiously, I went ahead and tried making two Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure CIAs with this tool. One was the original ROM with no edits whatsoever or any patches applied. The other was with a SRAM patch.

The issue is that both CIAs do not record progress. This was an issue with the original game I stumbled upon. However, by applying the SRAM patch with GBA Tool Advance, and then using the patched ROM to generate a footer, I was able to save fine. This tool doesn't seem to save properly even if I make sure I'm using the patched ROM and set the SRAM type properly. This wouldn't happen with the original footer tool and it would properly save progress with this exact same information given to it.

Any ideas if this can be looked into? I assume games with an already compatible save type work fine, but others such as Crash seem to be messy.
I'll send you a PM!

heraymo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not an injection problem, that's an SD card problem.
You should reformat your SD card to FAT32 with 32KB cluster size
(if you have an EmuNAND that'd be rather annoying to do)

I actually just opened a ticket with EmuNAND9 about this today. Hopefully d0k3 will have a look into this and fix it in the next release

http://gbatemp.net/threads/q-gba-cia-on-emunand-not-rendering-screen-correctly.397084/
https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/issues/142
ok i did what you said and i'm still having the same problem

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the new update! As for decrypted Ambassador CIAs, I found that I can only open them if they're rebuilt using 3DS Hacking Toolkit.

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A quick update: Work on the injector is being done in the background.
I found a command line, open source option to SRAM patching called EZGBA in the GBATemp GBA section and asdolo is making use of it to add SRAM patching to page 4 of the injector.

As I speak, I'm currently testing the next build of the injector which adds SRAM patching built into the Injector. So far it seems to work delightfully.
All that's left is an IPS patch option on page 4 and people may no longer have to patch GBA games before feeding them to the injector, which would definitely help with making working CIA a lot more often. :D

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, yes it will! 100% can confirm. You won't even need to use GBATA anymore. Asdolo's injector will have SRAM patching built into it as an option on page 4! :D
Good to know. Thank you for the reply and anyone else who made it possible. :)
That i find good news to hear. So about the subject, this may be silly to ask but do any of the multiplayer VC games likke game gear support the wireless modes?

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good to know. Thank you for the reply and anyone else who made it possible. :)
That i find good news to hear. So about the subject, this may be silly to ask but do any of the multiplayer VC games likke game gear support the wireless modes?
Unfortunately not, but unlike VC, this is running native on the hardware so game compatibility is incredibly high, so ya win some ya lose some I guess.

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see, not that it is a problem but i did notice some games like sonic drift 2 on game gear working with wireless multiplayer, it would been nice if any game injected can as well. :P

Not to bring this off topic but has anyone expressed maybe genesis injections? i had thought since some of the sega 3D titles were genesis, or arcade games that it might be possible to repace with any game, but i was probably thinking too hard. Lol :unsure:

Asdolo

the Hedgehog
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Argentina
I see, not that it is a problem but i did notice some games like sonic drift 2 on game gear working with wireless multiplayer, it would been nice if any game injected can as well. [emoji14]

Not to bring this off topic but has anyone expressed maybe genesis injections? i had thought since some of the sega 3D titles were genesis, or arcade games that it might be possible to repace with any game, but i was probably thinking too hard. Lol :unsure:
There are injections in the other site, but I think I'll not supporting it, due to it's not an official "VC".

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see, not that it is a problem but i did notice some games like sonic drift 2 on game gear working with wireless multiplayer, it would been nice if any game injected can as well. :P

Oh I thought you were asking if GBA supported wireless mode, I misread.
I don't know if Game Gear supports wireless. I can't seem to find any option for it in games that I thought might work with it so I'm still gonna say, probably not.

Last edited by CheatFreak47,

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
M2 developed those Sega 3D remasters (arcade and Mega Drive) as well as the Game Gear VC emulator / front end.

I would imagine that if any of the official GG VC releases had wireless local multiplayer then that feature would remain specific to that particular release because of additional coding handled by the devs to make it work.

As for injecting other Mega Drive or Arcade roms into any of the Sega 3D Classics releases - this will absolutely 100% never happen because every title had both its game and emulator code optimised and tweaked to the nth degree in order to produce the results you see. The biggest misconception about these releases are that they're similar to any of the VC titles. There's waaay more than ROM injection involved with those.

Reactions: CatmanFan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!