The Coolest Bear Around
OP
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
I have a Japanese n3DS. I'm wondering what the remaining downsides are since the eShop is no longer going to be accessible.
I have a vague idea of things it does/breaks, but does anyone have actual experience with region-changing from JPN to US and can tell me precisely what things it breaks? My physical region-locked games are all North American. I play fewer Japanese games than North American games digitally as well. Having the English UI isn't really necessity for me, but it would be kind of nice to have U firmware instead of J.

Other than having busted SNES VC game banners (from North American region) on the Japanese console, and often needing to use Luma Locale Switcher I don't have any big issues using the Japanese firmware. If region changing would virtually make the console indistinguishable from its US/NA counterpart at this point, though, I might consider it anyway.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Japanese n3DS. I'm wondering what the remaining downsides are since the eShop is no longer going to be accessible.
I have a vague idea of things it does/breaks, but does anyone have actual experience with region-changing from JPN to US and can tell me precisely what things it breaks? My physical region-locked games are all North American. I play fewer Japanese games than North American games digitally as well. Having the English UI isn't really necessity for me, but it would be kind of nice to have U firmware instead of J.

Other than having busted SNES VC game banners (from North American region) on the Japanese console, and often needing to use Luma Locale Switcher I don't have any big issues using the Japanese firmware. If region changing would virtually make the console indistinguishable from its US/NA counterpart at this point, though, I might consider it anyway.
Only notable thing is that uninstalling cfw will brick the system.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Region changing your console permanently may brick your console if you're not careful. There's also, as you just mentioned, the disadvantage of using online services. I obviously see no point on region changing your console as you can play games just fine.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Keep a good NAND image from before region changing on multiple storage media for the case something doesn't work, breaks or you just want to go back.

I'd say not much to gain and not much to lose by region change. With a good backup there is no reason to not experiment.

Reactions: SylverReZ

MarioMasta64

hi. i make batch stuff and portable shiz
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States

some titles as well as homebrew will still assume youre on a japanese 3ds by default (exa: some pokemon games auto select japanese instead but you can just change that) but thats about all i know since every other reason is shutdown

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Hey boi, keep your nuts out of chat. Unless you want them to get roasted. :ninja: